Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiders On My Washing Line

Spiders

Webs

Rotary washing line

How do I stop them???

I can deal with spiders, just not ones with their webs in tact, and I know they live outside and eat little bugs but I wish they would leave my washing alone!!

I have googled this and only come up with olive oil on the central pole, citronella (as they don't like the smell) and drying clothes inside xD

I haven't tried any yet and wondered if anyone has a cunning plan?

I've just moved into a new house and don't want to deal with spiders as well as boxes and cleaning and working out how to set the hot water!

Wedding anniversary today - both me and Mr ppp forgot this morning - (previously agreed to celebrate it at a later date as house is manic). Family forgot too, except sister-in-law, but then they have spent all weekend helping us move in. And I can't find a job! But that's another story.

So, any spider experts out there????

:o ppp

I don't find they are on the washing when I have it on the line but when not in use I put mine down and put a cover over it, the only way I found to stop the spiders.. we have loads around here. maybe that is why they are not on the washing as they don't live on the lines.

I have a resident one which seems to survive on my wing mirror.. its always there...

and they spin their webs HUGE distances I am always amazed at how far they cross... have to walk down the garden with a broom to clear the path..

Happy new home.

I love to see the spiders and their webs in the Autumn and there always seem to be more than the rest of the year. I think your best bet is to hang a bird feeder from one or even two corners of you rotary drier so that you get lots of birds. They'll also deal with your spiders :o

I do like Jacquie's solution with the bird feeders - although they may poo down your washing if you leave the feeders up.

Could you jet wash them off with a hose before putting clothes out? Mind it's been too wet here in Kent for much washing going out - comes in wetter than it went out.

Good luck on the job front and Happy Anniversary to you and your other half.

Thanks all

Glorious sunshine here and breezy - I don't expect many more days like this though.

I may take Inge's idea of a washing line cover - but attack those arachnids with my broom first! What will my new neighbours think!?!

ppp

I have a resident one which seems to survive on my wing mirror.. its always there...

Me too. Do you drive slowly until he's tucked himself away?! I helped him take a really big bug into the gap behind the mirror once too! Thank god the neighbours are mostly out all day :o

I dont like spiders particulary but I also dont like moving them off my washing line either, they work so hard it seems really harsh.

Yes I've got one on my wing mirror, and on my spare wheel at the back (I have a Jeep). I go out to my wheelie bin in the morning waving my arms around because they always seem to string across from the house to the trellis and its always at face height. I think my neighbours must think I've gone mad, as there's me in my dressing gown waving arms around in front or sometimes I take the broom out with me :):):)

Guest jenpercy

I had a car full of hatchling baby spiders once. You kow how in "Charlotte's Web" they float away from the nest on little bits of gossamer! Well they filled the locked car with the stuff. Good job it happened when the car was parked - about 10 minutes after I had driven it!!!! thew eggs had been laid under parcel shelf in the back. I had to clear them away with the hoover

Ooh Nona - did Spiderstop work for your friend?

Apparently so - she uses it regularly. She'd rather go to bed early than share a room with a spider until her hubby comes home from work to deal with it :o

Nona

Guest MaryEMac

I have had loads of huge spiders in my house over the last few weeks. After I washed my hair, I was wrapping it in the towel and happened to glance up at the mirror and saw this enormous spider crawling on the towel.Cue big scream and towel plus spider entered the bath. I did rescue it and put it outside safely after I found another towel.

Reminder to self; shake towel before wrapping aroud head :)

Mary

I was about 13yrs old - went downstairs in dressing gown, into kitchen for some breakfast, started chatting to Mum then she screamed. Pushed me into the hallway, through the front door - dressing gown off and on the porch! Enormous black house spider ran off. Luckily we lived on a quite single track road, otherwise the town would've seen me in my nightie!

I don' mind those spiders because I can catch them - it's the ones with the webs I don't like. Mum is the other way round.

She still recalls the story!

Edited by Guest