Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minimum Number Of Sessions

do you have a minimum number of sessions a child is allowed to take?

A couple of years ago we made it our policy that children had to have a minimum of 2 sessions per week, as we found those that only came once really struggled to settle and make friends.

Since we made the policy, it has never been an issue until this year :o this year we are having people querying it and it's basically because until their child is eligble for funding they only want 1 session just to get their foot in the door.

As a parent I can understand that but as a setting this would be a nightmare to manage (I think) especially as to actually make ends meet we would have to have so many children keyworker groups (and all the paperwork that comes with it) would be huge.

What do you do/think?

We've always said '2 days' for exactly the same reasons.... so even one whole day wasn't allowed, they never really settle into the group especially if they have friends elsewhere then decide to come to pre-school the term before they are due to start school 'so they can make friends withthe children they are going to go to school with'.

We just don't do it anymore, although I guess you might want more flexibility if you have lots of spaces to fill....

Ours always used to be 2 sessions but lately we have been having requests for just 1 session. It seems to be linked with us putting our fee's up to match the funding in April. So far it hasnt messed my waiting list up but I do agree that settling and friend groups are so difficult to work.

No minimum here but i have to say we would prefer two sessions for the very reasons given, but we are also very conscious of peoples finances until children are funded and having regard for that too .

We have 30 children at each session and 50 children presently coming to us and paperworks always there whether we like it or not.xD:o

Sorry just a quick post script, but wondered how many of you meet the situation I did this morning where a parent who insisted on 2 sessions (although in the end did agree to 3) asked me on her child's first morning can she put him up to 5 days!!!!!! Of course we are now full and I can't offer this. Happens all the time with us.

Hi

I think parents are just finding it too expensive. Before minimum wage and everything else that drains the budget fees were cheap. We have a reduced price session in the afternoons for 2 years old. In the mornings I match the funding fee, but that makes it really expensive if they have to pay.

My nephew has just started at a pre-school one morning a week. Its about £11 per session which per month really add up.