Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Had Experience Of Lumpectomy?

mps09

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has recently experienced a lumpectomy? I had an abnoma biopsy on a lump and to 'be on the safe side' surgeon removed it 12 days ago. Which I know isn't long - but I had hoped to feel a bit better by now.

Would anyone be willing to share their experience? How long before all feels normal? And I don't need to go topless in the evenings!!!!! :o

Please feel free to pm is that's better.

Many thanks,

xD

Can not give any info but just wanted to say hope all is well and you feel better soon.

Fingers and toes crossed and sending you a big hug!! Unsworth

I hope you feel better soon mps09. I had a biopsy a few years ago, everything was okay. I was given the option to have the lump removed but I declined.

How long did surgeon say it would take to heal. Perhaps you need to visit your GP just to check everything is okay with the healing process.

x

Thanks all of you for your replies.

I Don't remember surgeon saying anything about how long it would take to heal, just that it would be really bruised - which it was!! :o

I guess it will just take a bit longer - I'm just feeling really miserable now, no energy, and no wish to do much, too many painkillers too, which I don't like taking but find I have to regularly.

Good to have a bit of a moan! xD

Thanks for all the hugs - just don't squeeze too tight!

:(

yes, one here, then follow up surgery............................battered and bruised for quite some while, I'm afraid and you must take whatever painkillers you need to see you through.If you need something stronger, don't be afraid to ask your gp for something else. Everyone is different, but it can take a few weeks for all the bruising to go, so pain relief is a must.

Feeling miserable is normal too, you're probably frightened as you wait for the result................it's the 'what ifs' that take it out of you. Same, I think, with the no energy, it's just a scarey place to be for you until you get your result . I wish you good luck and a happy outcome, but please feel free to pm me whichever way it goes............I got a 'bad' result, but am here, gone through all the bad bits and am doing well, so please feel free to ask ANY questions, nothing embarrasses or offends me! Good luck xx

Thank you so much - I guess I just have to not rush it and take it easy - I am SOOOOO not good at doing nothing!!

It seems such a long time to wait - and now of course a bank holiday is looming.... but I'm keeping everything crossed and will cross the next bridge if I come to it...

Good to hear perhaps my experience is 'normal'. Because it was so quick in hospital I imagined it was quite a simple procedue.... I expected to go home and be back to my usual. But I get up, get kids breakfast, shower and I'm ready to go back to bed!!! xD:o

Now worrying about work too - supposed to go back on Thursday .... :unsure:

Thanks again, and so glad to hear things are going well for you Narnia.

:(:(:( :wacko: xD

And ladies (and men!) do get anything unusual checked out. I had been putting off going to the Doctors for months but had been experiecing a lot of pain each month - was rather shocked to say the least when she said she could feel a lump - and less than 6 weeks later they felt the need to take it out.... SO KEEP CHECKING AND REPORT ANYTHING UNUSUAL EVEN IF YOU CAN'T FEEL A LUMP!! :rolleyes:

work might not be a bad idea..................it might help to keep your mind off things, just don't get bumped about. But if you don't feel up to it, ask your doc to sign you off for a while.And simple procedure or not, the stress of it is bound to wipe you out, so if you need to rest, then rest

Sound advice about checking your bits and bobs, ladies and gents.......................if you know how things feel when they're normal, you'll know sooner when they don't feel( or look) right and you can get advice quickly.DO NOT put it off!

Just want to send my love and gentle hugs to you, being tired is away of telling your body to rest so you must do it, this is probably the only time you will get the chance. I do hope the results are good news for you. Take care and come on here at anytime for anything, that's whats so fantastic about this forum a great place to air and share whatever it maybe . xxx :o

recovery can be different for all and time is the one thing it can take a lot of...take it and as many painkillers as you need..that is what they are there for...hope all goes well,

and a reminder to check is always a good thing.... just remember to teach your boys to check themselves from a young age too... it is just as important for the men to check themselves ... having had a son with testicular cancer at 21 , he was lucky.. (my blog says it all)

(sorry to jump in here but it is something that needs saying!)

Inge

Gentle hugs.

It is scary. What you describe sounds absolutely normal. Do rest as much as you need to and get your doctor to sign you off sick.

I didn't have a lumpectomy in the end as my consultant went for chemothotherapy to reduce the lump first which worked well for me, but all through the treatment I was dreading that I might still have to have surgery.

take care

Alwyn

Not been through anything like this personally, but I know someone who has had something similar done and it was at least 3 weeks before things were totally 'normal' again. For the first two weeks they were really wiped out and had to take it easy, then it gradually started to improve. It is such a quick hospital procedure that I was surprised by how long their recovery seemed to be, but of course it's so deceiving, we forget that there used to be a reason for long hospital stays!

Edited by Guest

Yes I have experience. The op was meant to be very minor ( some women go straight back to work !!!!!!) but I did have a lot of pain which took a while to subside. My lumpectomy also took a little muscle which took time to recover and even now, years later. it is still tender but not painful. Be kind to yourself - you have had a shock - and take time to recover. Don't beat yourself up if it takes longer than you expected. I went on to have radiotherapy, and am very grateful to be here and well. Good luck.

surgeon removed it 12 days ago. Which I know isn't long - but I had hoped to feel a bit better by now.

/quote]

Oh it's like listening to my 15 year old daughter :o She had her appendix removed 2 weeks ago and is SO frustrated at not being able to lift, carry, stretch, play her saxophone, stay awake past 9pm, go out for more than an hour without feeling wiped out.......sound familiar?!

She's been told that everyone heals at different rates, she must take her painkillers when she needs them, rest when her body's had enough and not expect too much too soon. Our GP has said that the timing is also a factor - end of school year, tired, energy levels low and then surgery and a general anaesthetic. The same may be true for you?!

Arnica tablets (from the health shop) really helped with the bruising and are said to aid healing after any surgery.

Hope you feel better and get your results soon.

Nona

Oh my yes it does sound familiar - (except being 15 :o ). You think "it's only minor surgery" but I guess any surgery is a big deal!

I'm hoping my results will arrive before I go back to work on Thursday.... and I'm also hoping that being busy will help with how I'm feeling - and I've pre-warned hubby he still has to cook!

Hope everything is OK with your daugher and we're both on the mend soon. Might try the arnica tablets..... anything is worth try.

Thanks for the advice.

x x x

I found a "dimple" in my breast in June which turned out to be, not good news.

I have got over the operation and are now having Chemo to be followed by raidiotharepy

Good days and bad days but all do-able !!

Keep postive and good luck with result

I found a "dimple" in my breast in June which turned out to be, not good news.

I have got over the operation and are now having Chemo to be followed by raidiotharepy

Good days and bad days but all do-able !!

Keep postive and good luck with result

All good wishes rosyposy.......

so sorry not to have been in touch - I've had computer difficulties and not been able to get on line.

All is well here thankfully, although the condition I do have may result in recurring lumps and pain, however, I feel so fortunate that it is nothing worse.

Good luck RosyPosy, so sorry your news wasn't better - sending all best wishes to you - and everyone else who has supported me....

X x x x x x x x