Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

January Dates!

Quick question for all of you term time Pre-Schools out there! Just updating all my dates on management software system when are you all going back after Christmas!? Tuesday 4th Jan or Monday 10th Jan? Probably going to seem like a really stupid question!!

Kris

should be the 4th :o

Or in our case, the 10th! Perhaps it will depend on whether your Authority will allow you to open for part weeks and still claim funding? Oh and how many weeks a year you're open!

Maz

10th sounds good to me. :oxD:(

Kristina have you got a copy of the school dates to go by?

And as brought up by happymaz - does it say anywhere that a 'week' has to be mon-fri?

I suppose that could depend on your LA. But I know in Essex we have to be careful when we finish at Easter as the funding goes to 31st March regardless, which makes me question week being mon-fri as this could effect Jan start date.

Also could be effected by how many weeks you have left to claim, a Jan 4th start could mean a long term and you run out of funded weeks.

Must go and check ours!

Edited by louby loo

we always used the local school dates..any later and we would lose money or have to open when school was closed to make up the days. but our LEA pays for days open and it was not calculated in weeks...

hence as end of funding year was 31st March any days for April were claimed the following term, even if this was after Easter... caused havoc for children starting after Easter.. one year we had children start 1st April, as that was when the funding was started, and then we were off from 3rd April for 2 weeks..

Inge

We go back the 6th - I didn't know about 'part weeks' - our LA just says we have to open 38 weeks so I assumed

as long as we opened for 190 days it did not matter if it was park or full weeks.

I find it really difficult to sort the days and am not sure if we can include 5 'training days' in the 38 weeks or if they

are extra's. Having worked out this next academic year we have realised we did not open enough days last year.

we go back on the 6th-we keep in line with the primary school where possible as it keeps things easier for our parents to manage with their other chidren.

i just make sure we are open for 190 days, i use the schools calender and work our days out from that.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't really understand about funding. Could someone please let me know if a pre school with funded children should be open 38 weeks or 190 days?

It depends on your local authority - here in Windsor and Maidenhead we are funded for 38 weeks each year, although not everyone is open for as many as 38 weeks. Isn't five three hour sessions a week over 38 weeks a total of 190 days? :o

Or do you mean you're not sure whether the funding can only be claimed for whole weeks open as opposed to a total number of 190 days spread over more than 38 weeks?

Maz

We are paid for 12 weeks in the spring term, so will start the new term on the 10th January, schools go back the tuesday before, which makes their term 12 weeks and 4 days.

The summer term we will be paid for 12 weeks again, but there are 2 bank holiday mondays in that time. We can't then go on to do the 12 weeks and on the following Monday/Tuesday, as its the monday children who are missing places! Its a real problem this year.

Hi Maz,

I'm not really sure what I do mean! We're a parent led pre-school not tied down to local authority but usually follow their holiday guidelines. A member of staff said that we should be able to finish for Christmas Friday Dec 17th rather than Tuesday 21st as we don't need to do as many days as school. All I know is we have to meet the required number of days for the funded children, which I know is 15 hours a week but not for how many weeks/days etc.

All I know is we have to meet the required number of days for the funded children, which I know is 15 hours a week but not for how many weeks/days etc.

I think it all depends what your local authority expects, and how your funding system works. I know that although I'm not back until Monday, some pre-schools in my area went back on Thursday, and our authority seems to be happy with that!

I'd have a chat with them so that you don't come unstuck!

Maz

We will also be going back on 10th Jan and in the Summer term becasue of the two bank holiday mondays we will be open on Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th July to make up for them, but the Tuesday will only be open for Monday children