Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Measles

Hi

Have had a parent call today to say child wont be in as unwell and going to docotrs, just called back to say she has been told he has measles!! He has had the MMR, so obviously a letter will go out to all parents tomorrow, and I am sure I need to tell Ofsted, do I notify the Local Authority or do the doctors do this? Have also been told there is a fee to pay when notifying!!

Kris

I'd ring osfsted and ask.. (free to tell them!!!!)

When we had Scarlett fever we were told that letters had to go out individually addressed to each family, two letters if necessary. With SF we didn't have to inform anyone else.

We added details of NHS direct also - we were advised to give no other information as such- ie information about childhood diseases from books etc as it may be out of date.

I hope the child is ok, and I shall keep an eye on this post as I'm near you.

xxx

Thanks for the reply! I have called Ofsted and they have put it through their notification department but have informed me that I need to notify my Local Authority as doctors don't always do it!! I also had to send them an email to confirm what I had put in place and who and how I had informed parents!!

So Now all I need to do is find the right department at Essex County Council wish me luck!!

Kris

I would contact your local infectious disease nurse before you let parents know.

We had a similar situation some time ago - parent rang and said confirmed measles so we notified all families that there had been a case of measles in nursery. One parent was a GP and was quite put out that we had done this as it turned out not to be th case.

If t is confirmed measles then the infection control people will give you details of what to do.

Hi Kris - I would ring your local Health Authority - mine were extremely helpful when we were in the grip of Swine Flu xD they sent letters (by email) for me to print and give to parents.........

hope the child is OK and makes a full and speedy recovery :o

Wonder how he got measles when he has had his MMR :(

We have recently had a case of measles in a parent who is a primary school teacher. Her daughter has had the MMR vaccine and didn't catch it. We are in East Anglia, so not very far away, so I wonder if there is a minor outbreak? I had three cases of measles at my previous nursery and we had quite a time informing everyone, but the local health authority were really helpful. We ended up on the local tv news! Not sure that it was great publicity!

I hope the child concerned is OK and that it doesn't spread any further.

Beehive

Hi Kris - I would ring your local Health Authority - mine were extremely helpful when we were in the grip of Swine Flu :o they sent letters (by email) for me to print and give to parents.........

Sorry Kris - I meant Heath Protection Agency

Thank you for all the help! I have spoken to numerous people Ofsted, LA, School nurse! SO I think I have covered most things just not sure after reading some of the replies what to put on the letter to parents? Confirmed or suspected? Any ideas!!

Kris

Thank you for all the help! I have spoken to numerous people Ofsted, LA, School nurse! SO I think I have covered most things just not sure after reading some of the replies what to put on the letter to parents? Confirmed or suspected? Any ideas!!

Kris

It is confirmed - so I would use 'confirmed'

This is where the confusion comes from. It's not confirmed until the test results are back which can take up to 3 weeks.

We were told in no uncertain terms not to say it was confirmed until the results were back - which contirmed it WASN'T measles in the end!!

This is where the confusion comes from. It's not confirmed until the test results are back which can take up to 3 weeks.

We were told in no uncertain terms not to say it was confirmed until the results were back - which contirmed it WASN'T measles in the end!!

:o Oh right, I stand (well I'm sitting actually!) corrected! xD

We had a case of measles a couple of years ago, child had not had MMR, then another child got it who had had the MMR, but was close to getting the booster - apparently the effectiveness of the vacine wanes so much before the booster is given. Once the first child had recovered, she was given the MMR and then caught mumps!

This particular child has had their first MMR at 13 months but not had booster yet which is why doctors think they have caught it!! Perhaps I will word that docotr has said measles subject to results and then I'm Covered.

Kris

This particular child has had their first MMR at 13 months but not had booster yet which is why doctors think they have caught it!! Perhaps I will word that docotr has said measles subject to results and then I'm Covered.

Kris

I think you'd be safe to say that - you're telling parents it might be and where to go for more info, but not saying it definitely is. We're over the border in Suffolk, so I'll also be watching this with - interest? trepidation?!

Hope it isn't measles for the little one, but some easily recovered from virus. Or that they're ok with it and it doesn't spread.

Just thought I would give a quick update, mum popped in this morning (no child!) to say it wasn't measles!! Saw a different doctor this morning as child still wasn't well and it's impetigo!! So another letter out to tell the parents what to look for, at least I aired to the side of caution with my original letter for measles!!

Kris

Hi Panders

Mum took the child back as after 1 week of being diagnosed with measles there was no improvement, child very distressed with crusty weeping spots around mouth and nose!! Saw a different doctor who took one look and said this isn't measles it's impetigo! Apparently first doctor who diagnosed measles didn't even carry out a test!! So that wouldn't have been reported to the HPA would it!!

Makes our job very hard when we need to keep parents informed of any infectious diseases!

Kris

Hi Panders

Mum took the child back as after 1 week of being diagnosed with measles there was no improvement, child very distressed with crusty weeping spots around mouth and nose!! Saw a different doctor who took one look and said this isn't measles it's impetigo! Apparently first doctor who diagnosed measles didn't even carry out a test!! So that wouldn't have been reported to the HPA would it!!

Makes our job very hard when we need to keep parents informed of any infectious diseases!

Kris

Ahh perhaps first doctor not seen many cases of measles before - classic impetigo though, soreness round nose and mouth!