Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Do You Keep Yours?

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Hi, everyone. This question came up at our staff meeting this afternoon. Our completed accident forms forms are in a ringbinder which is kept on the shelf in the office. We are the sole users of the building and the office is locked when we are not there and only myself and deputy have a key. We just wondered if they would need to be kept in a locked filing cabinet as well. What does everyone else do?

Thanks, Mary

We keep completed incident forms in childrens individual files and our accident book is kept in a locked cupboard....

Hi Mary....mine are kept in locked filing cabinet......

Just another little thing - we were told that these records should be 'bound'........this was to ensure that pages could not be removed.......hmmm....could, of course just be an advisors 'whimsy'! :o

my whimsical Ofsted inspector a couple of years ago was less than impressed that my accident forms were in a ringbinder and suggested if we did not use a "proper" accident book, that we could print off our own forms but they needed to be stuck into a page numbered exercise book.

We use the hard-back type for WH Smith and stick one every other page so it is always confidential when parents are signing their offspring's accident form.

The books, such as medicine, accident, incident etc. are kept in a locked cupboard within our setting.

my whimsical Ofsted inspector a couple of years ago was less than impressed that my accident forms were in a ringbinder and suggested if we did not use a "proper" accident book, that we could print off our own forms but they needed to be stuck into a page numbered exercise book.

Mrs Ofsted was more than happy with our first aid forms in a ringbinder!

Maz

our OFSTED Inspector (s) never commented on forms being'bound' we use separate sheets, once signed off by parents they go into each childs individual file , and the same with the pre-printed staff accident book with the tear out pages, when filled out they go straight into individual files. We have been using this system for 10 years with no issues :o

Hi all hard working practioners

Our accident records are kept in a ring binder, one accident, one page, signed daily by staff member and parent/carer these are then removed half-termly and transferred to a box file in a locked secure cupboard always thought this was sufficient, ofsted were okay with this but not sure why this may not now be appropriate.

Maybe someone knows different and can advise please.

This is why I don't have much love for Ofsted Inspectors - they all have a different hymn sheet!

Imagine being an Ofsted inspector - never knowing which hymn sheet you're supposed to be singing from! :o

Maz

Hi all hard working practioners

Our accident records are kept in a ring binder, one accident, one page, signed daily by staff member and parent/carer these are then removed half-termly and transferred to a box file in a locked secure cupboard always thought this was sufficient, ofsted were okay with this but not sure why this may not now be appropriate.

Maybe someone knows different and can advise please.

Just do what you think is right for your setting, and discuss if the need arises with the powers that be.

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks all will have to find room in filing cabinet tomorrow. What can I take out of it, I wonder? Now that's another can of worms :o

Mary

Guest Spiral

We were asked to use a bound book - so that they were 'tamper proof'!

It was also suggested that we provide the parents with a tear off part that stated what we had done, how/why etc - I think photocopying the page may be best.

......................................it's all in our ............to ..............do ..............................pile!!!!!

Roll on Summer hols!!! :o

Spiral.

Imagine being an Ofsted inspector - never knowing which hymn sheet you're supposed to be singing from! xD

Maz

Now why does this song spring to mind :o

'Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you'

Tra lalalala..........cynical..........me.....never! :(

If you are using 'loose sheets' in a ring binder, surely if you number each accident report then individual accident reports can't be removed, so effectively as good as a 'bound' record book ?!

Edited by Guest

Guest jenpercy

We number our sheets in advance and there is an exercise book with the folder that contains the index. The idex is vital so that you can track incidents for frequency, or the same child etc

Ooh Sunnyday,Brilliant!! I do like that

For the record, ours are in a ring binder and kept in a locked cupboard.

We were told that our registers could not be loose bound but never anything about our accident sheets.

Ooh Sunnyday,Brilliant!! I do like that

For the record, ours are in a ring binder and kept in a locked cupboard.

We were told that our registers could not be loose bound but never anything about our accident sheets.

Our accident forms are lose, so are our registers.

I actually find it quite insulting that someone is suggesting that I would remove a sheet to try an to commit fraud, dont you? When I said this to a QA inspector she said "I am not for a minute suggesting you would but it has been done in the past and caused real problems" Well having these sheets in a bound book causes me problems, so they're not and I think if I was the sort to remove a sheet for whatever reason then I would have no qualms over tearing a sheet from a book!!

Guest Spiral

Snap!

We use the same form, but have a printed front cover on which we write the dates from and to. We then have an index sheet and each page is numbered. All it says on the index is;

Page no child's name date

We staple the lot together in multiples of 20 sheets.

The parents sign and date the form.

The question I have is; Should the parents have a photocopy of the form or a handwritten slip to state their child had an accident - especially if they are not picking up their child?

Any thoughts?

this 'to do' pile is getting too big :-(

Spiral.

Although the author is identified as Lisa!

Maz

WHAT! :o I was sure that it was Caits - oh well - thank you Lisa and hope you don't mind that I have uploaded! xD

Spiral - I think a photocopy is good practice and ditto the 'to do' list! :(

Ah - it's Caits Existing Injury form that I use!

Edited by sunnyday

We use the PLA Accident, Incident and Register which are all bound - my Early Years Advisor told me that they all should be bound.

Books are kept in a locked box, keys held by Leader and Deputy.

The problem with the PLA ones are that the form goes across 2 pages which is a total waste of paper and doesn't make photocopying for parents easy :o

Guest Spiral
We use the PLA Accident, Incident and Register which are all bound - my Early Years Advisor told me that they all should be bound.

Books are kept in a locked box, keys held by Leader and Deputy.

The problem with the PLA ones are that the form goes across 2 pages which is a total waste of paper and doesn't make photocopying for parents easy :o

Hi thumperrabbit,

That's exactly why we changed our format to Cait/Lisa's and page numbered/bound (stapled) it ourselves. Couldn't afford the PLA ones any more.

Maybe have a bash at doing your own? it'll go on that 'to do' pile!

Spiral.

Question-

If you have a bound book - and two children have had an 'incident' :oxD:( do you then make both parents queue up to sign thus offering no confidentiality? (yes- I know the child will tell parents anyway!!)

OK if your children are picked up at differing times - but not really ideal in settings where all parents arrive together.

I shall stick with loose sheets plus an index book.

Guest Spiral
Question-

If you have a bound book - and two children have had an 'incident' :(:(:( do you then make both parents queue up to sign thus offering no confidentiality? (yes- I know the child will tell parents anyway!!)

OK if your children are picked up at differing times - but not really ideal in settings where all parents arrive together.

I shall stick with loose sheets plus an index book.

I certainly see your point. We end up speaking to one parent, then holding onto the child of the other til the other parent has gone, then we call them in so there isn't an obvious link, however, we have had the two children's parents arrive and leave together because they are good friends :o

I really think that if you are confident talking to ofsted about your views, they will listen and consider your points fairly.

There was a reasonable point made earlier about us - the workforce- feeling that we are being accused before anything happens..if I wanted to orchestrate a document I'm sure it would be quite simple and these systems won't stop bad behaviour!

Spiral. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)