Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Permsisions

I am updating my paperwork (oh, how thrilling) and wondered what you asked for permission for.

My list so far is:

to go on trips and outings

to use play equipment

swimming

sunblock

observations

emergency aid

photographs

Do I need anything else?

change children's clothes if they are wet

Do you ask permission to do this Cait? Has any parent ever refused? :o

We also ask parents to give permission for us to observe their child which at first glance is a bit odd. However we've had a couple of parents who object to us doing this in the past, and including it on the permission form does make it central to our agreement with parents.

Maz

Do you ask permission to do this Cait? Has any parent ever refused? :o

Maz

Yes, a few years back we had a parent who came to collect their child if they needed changing, she very definitely didn't give her permission for 'intimate care changes' for her child. She was okay with changing a wet jumper for a dry one

With photographs do you have it broken down as I have it so parents can state what photos can be used for observation/setting displays/media etc Also children taking photos of children and use of video observations. Its a mine field!

Tink69

Also just remembered as a childminder I have permission for children to be transported in the car. (this was on the NCMA site)

Also just remembered as a childminder I have permission for children to be transported in the car. (this was on the NCMA site)

Good point - we don't do this routinely so its different for us in settings. But for a childminder it would be more or less crucial wouldn't it? Unless of course you can walk everywhere!

Maz

Although I haven't added this our Sencan advisor suggested permission for other health/childcare professionals to be involved! She said by doing this and parents signing it as ok you can then involve Sencan, Health Visitors etc without further permission! As I said I haven't done this as wasn't sure if it was something that could backfire on us!!

Kris

The NCMA handbook has permission forms for:

routine outings

transporting in a vehicle

sun protection cream application

observations (to follow and assess development, support the childminder towards qualifications, and can be in the form of written statements, photos, videos or tapes)

outdoor play equipment (gardens, parks or playgrounds)

pre-arranged alternative care (cover for childminder health appointments)

photo permission (parent can opt in or out for recording child's daily routine, development, share with their own parents, childminders album, coursework, promotional literature, website. NCMA publications & website, other websites or publications (ie local newspaper) childminding network publicity/displays/website. promotional literature of other organisations such as local childminding group and "other" reasons specified by the childminder, as specified on the form!!

permission for emergency medical assistance or treatment

I also have a separate form for using the equipment at the under 5's gym club and for non-routine outings i.e trip to the zoo, swimming....

Nona

Good point - we don't do this routinely so its different for us in settings. But for a childminder it would be more or less crucial wouldn't it? Unless of course you can walk everywhere!

Maz

Even childminders who don't use a car are "advised" to obtain it in case they ever have to accept transport in an emergency!

Nona

Edited by Guest

Even childminders who don't use a car are "advised" to obtain it in case they ever have to accept transport in an emergency!

Thought so!

Maz

I'm sorry but this strikes me as bureaucracy gone mad (although I'm sure our leader already has all these in place to cover her back).

Isn't it the wrong way round, though, to put the emphasis on practitioners? Couldn't we just have a form saying: 'By placing your child in this setting, you agree to ..., please advise in writing if you would prefer not to give permission for any of these items'. All these things you are asking are for the benefit of the child rather than for anyone else.

I'm sorry but this strikes me as bureaucracy gone mad (although I'm sure our leader already has all these in place to cover her back).

Isn't it the wrong way round, though, to put the emphasis on practitioners? Couldn't we just have a form saying: 'By placing your child in this setting, you agree to ..., please advise in writing if you would prefer not to give permission for any of these items'. All these things you are asking are for the benefit of the child rather than for anyone else.

Excellent idea.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)