Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suncream Or Sunblock?

Which is the safest, especially on children?

I have no idea. I just go for the one with the hightest SPF because it offers the longest protection in the sun!

Maz

Is there a difference? Our friends down under call it sunblock and we have sun cream, sun protection or sun lotion.........not aware that they are different (besides the sun factor number). Perhaps one is better than another for children because it's easier to rub in??

I found this article on sunblock Vs sunscreen which explains the differences.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sunblock-vs-sunscreen.html

Also be aware that having a higher SPF factor does not mean you can stay out longer! It just gives you increased protection but for the same amount of time as a lower SPF factor. All sun creams (whether block or screen) should be reapplied liberally every 2 hours.

As a very fair skinned Australian I obviously I know absolutley EVERYTHING about sun safety! :o

We recieved regular radio updates on the length of time it would take to burn given the current conditions. We then multiplied that figure by the factor of the sunscreen. So if we we were told fair skin would begin to burn in 9 minutes then we multipied SPF30 by 9 and stayed out for less than 270 minutes. The screen should be applied 20 mins before going out and must be re-applied regularly (don't know exactly what that means - maybe every half hour) and especialy after exercising or being in water. We were also recommended to stay in the shade between 11 and 3pm (Summer time?) and to SLIP! SLOP! SLAP! Slip on a shirt, slap on sunscreen and slap on a hat. Just before I moved here 8years ago there was evidence published about sunburn occuring before puberty being most damaging in future life.

I've never seen Sun Factors published anywhere here so maybe an arbitary 5 or 10 mins might be reasonable to apply.

Although conditions here aren't the same as in Oz, I got the worst sunburn ever on the Isle of Skye!

Complete sunblock does affect vitamin D production - so we all need a little bit of sunshine in our lives.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Well, perhaps I have misunderstood what I've read in the past. I was sure that they kept banging on about the need to reapply every 2 hours regardless but maybe I need my head examined. :o

I also swear by P20 as someone with olive skin it's not too much of a bother for me but my daughter is v. fair and blonde so it was a bit of an education having to find something for her, especially when she was little.

Have used P20 here and abroad and as Cupcake says it pretty much lasts all day even if doused liberally in water. Big HOWEVER do not get anywhere near the eyes because it creates a sort of protective film and is a nightmare if you do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)