Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wording For A Notice Letter

In ten years I have never got to the point of choosing to give notice to a parent. Children have always moved on to school etc on some long anticipated date and the contract has come to a natural end. However I have a child at the moment whose parents are very difficult to work with and, with all the other things going on in my life just now, I feel that I do not need the stress.

I have tried to work out how I should word a letter giving them the four weeks notice written into the contract but can't seem to find something which says the right words without sounding officious or patronising. I don't want an even more difficult atmosphere for the notice period!

Has any other childminder got a format they have used before? I would be very grateful for an example then I can tick it off my long long list of things to do :o

Thanks

I'm not a childminder but how about along the lines of ......

' Unfortunately I am longer able to provide the service that you currently feel is required to meet doodah's needs.

I feel it would be in the best interests of all concerned to end our contract on such and such a date and am hereby giving you 4 weeks notice to enable you to find an alternative placement.

Perhaps we can decide how best to share this decision with Doodah so that he can still enjoy his remaining time with me but is prepared for change.

i have very much enjoyed getting to know Doodah and wish you all well for the future.

Hi U.A.D. xD

This is tricky.........if it was me I think that I would 'skirt round' the real issue and explain that due to my own unforeseen circumstances I would regretfully have to give notice........

Cowardly - yes - probably - but will, I would think, make for easier time whilst child is attending for last 4 weeks.

Don't know if that helps at all - but you have to love me for trying! :(:o

Oh no - we crossed posts!!! All dealt with then - good for you!

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks guys.

She took the letter saying that's fine. We've got a place for him at the nursery anyway. I did already know this because I sent them to look at it and the manager is a friend. I happen to know that's not til September but they've told her that his dad's on garden leave this term anyway so problem solved - phew!

'scuse my ignorance - what's 'garden leave'?

I may be wrong here but I think it is when you are made redundant or when you give your employer notice and it is agree that you do not need to work your notice so the 'gap' between the offical redundacy date or leaving date and the current time is called 'garden leave'

That sounds garbled! but I know what i mean just not sure if it's right!

Thanks guys.

She took the letter saying that's fine. We've got a place for him at the nursery anyway. I did already know this because I sent them to look at it and the manager is a friend. I happen to know that's not til September but they've told her that his dad's on garden leave this term anyway so problem solved - phew!

Great outcome.......does that mean that you will 'be excused' the 4 weeks notice then? Hope so! :o

I may be wrong here but I think it is when you are made redundant or when you give your employer notice and it is agree that you do not need to work your notice so the 'gap' between the offical redundacy date or leaving date and the current time is called 'garden leave'

That sounds garbled! but I know what i mean just not sure if it's right!

Yes that's my understanding of garden leave. They don't want you st start your new job early but they don't want you to be in their offices either so they tell you to go home and sit in the garden xD. We went to Australia when my hubby was on it. That company changed the rules when they found out - apparently that's not in the spirit of garden leave.

Great outcome.......does that mean that you will 'be excused' the 4 weeks notice then? Hope so! :(

You've got to be joking! They can't even wait til the time the contract starts to drop him off! I can absolutely guarantee that he will be here for every moment of every contract day in those four weeks (and the little bit more they think they can get away with). I don't mind really because I won't feel like I have to keep trying to make them happy and the little boy is delightful. I would have given notice and kept him at home with me every minute I could if he were mine :o

You've got to be joking! They can't even wait til the time the contract starts to drop him off! I can absolutely guarantee that he will be here for every moment of every contract day in those four weeks (and the little bit more they think they can get away with).

xD I think they may be the same parents I gave notice to, last year for the same reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind really because I won't feel like I have to keep trying to make them happy and the little boy is delightful. I would have given notice and kept him at home with me every minute I could if he were mine :o

and that, in a nutshell, is the difference between you and them and why your "working relationship" has broken down!

Glad you feel better now you've made the decision and given notice.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)