Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-reg

I had my pre-reg yesterday and passed!!! Was so relieved, even after feeling confident I was as prepared as I could be. Now just the long wait for the certificate.

Congratulations! How exciting for you. Now get marketing yourself like crazy - you can interview parents before the certificate as long as you don't start a contract until the certificate arrives. You could even do some playdates as part of a settling-in process if you like.

Good luck

I have worked as a childminder and enjoyed it very much. If you are going to be looking for families to work with have you thought about visiting your local childrens centre? I work in a childrens centre now and part of my role now is to engage with the childminders in our reach area and encourage them to come to sessions/groups/training that we run. For childminders who do access our centre we advertise and promote them (a file with their details and photo) Hope it goes well-if you need any help with paper work just ask! Unsworth

I work in a childrens centre now and part of my role now is to engage with the childminders in our reach area and encourage them to come to sessions/groups/training that we run. For childminders who do access our centre we advertise and promote them (a file with their details and photo)

I wish you worked in my childrens centre we don't have such opportunities

Tink69

Hi Unsworth

Yes I do use my local childrens centre I attend a singing and story session each week. They do have other sessions during the week but they are aimed at parents or not suitable for my current children. They have yoga/mini football/messy play. Their focus at the moment appears to be young mums and fathers. I would love it if there was a weekly childminders group as the local weekly network group is not that local to me! They don't do groups just for childminders or have a file like you mentioned promoting them. They are linked to a local nursery and do a lot with them.

Tink69

Edited by Tink69

Tink, that is a shame, do you have a network coordinator you can ask why they dont do any groups at the Children's Centre because it is part of the core offer to offer support to childminders.

Hi Tink69,

Thats exactly what I was going to say!! It is part of our core offer to engage with childminders. We are frequently reveiwing/trying to find ideas to include childminders.I have been running weekly sensory sessions for quite a while now (for anyone with children 0-5)unfortunately only one child minder came.We now run a seperate sensory session on Fridays just for childminders and their children. I have recently done a treasure basket training session for parents/carers and one childminder came to that.

Just a thought why dont you drop into your centre and ask if they have any plans to run any sessions/groups for CMs That way letting them know you would be very interested and keen to use the centre more. Not sure what staff they have because each centre varies but if they have an education lead(teacher)or children centre worker(like me)hopefully they will take note of what you have to say and will think about how they could support you!

Tink69, What would you like to do at the centre? how do you think the centre could help you?

Think about this and then when you go in tell them the sort of things that you think would be useful to you as a childminder(you could say you have been on the forum and read about what other centres offer!!)

Good luck-i wish you were in our reach area!! Unsworth

You need to go back to your local authority and ask to speak to the Childminding Development team and ask if they could help support you in working inconjunction with your childrens centre. Again the centre should be working with childminders. Perhaps your childminding Development team could send a letter out to all childminders in the locality (as they could have their contact details) along the lines of expression of interest.

Tink, I'd definitely put your thoughts in a letter or an email to the CC and your LA. CC's have a role that includes making links with and supporting childminders.

I live halfway between 2 CC's. One offers a weekly Childminder drop-in every Tuesday morning and there are regularly 6+ childminders and their "mindees" in attendance.

The other has tried on several occasions to get sessions up and running - twice they've set up a drop-in, provided breakfast after the school run etc and twice I've been the only one there!! :o Yet, bless them, they keep trying!

They've set up an EYFS Network now to try to introduce childminders, nursery staff, teachers, department heads etc to each other as they're all working to a common theme. 15 people came to the first meeting, a date was set for the next meeting and only 5 people came!! 2 childminders, our CM Network co-ordinator, EYFS manager for primary school/CC (even though on Maternity leave!) and the owner of the PVI nursery who hosted the teatime meeting and prepared food for us all!

Next meeting scheduled for next week so I'm waiting for the letter/email reminding us all - I wonder how many will turn up?! Obviously not a great interest in working with other professionals! xD

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)