Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forum Upgrade

Steve

Hi all -

As you might have read in the recent newsletter and elsewhere, we're just about to upgrade the Forum software (within the next week). No change in terms of the topics and posts, and only a slight change in appearance, so you will hopefully not have a problem in using it as soon as it becomes available. There are a few extra features which I hope you'll find useful, and I'll detail these as the day approaches.

I just have a couple of questions:

Do people regularly use the My FSF page? Basically it reproduces some of the more popular functions of the My Controls screen for ease of use. I'd be interested to know if it's useful, or if most people go straight to My Controls. I particularly wondered if the 'notepad' feature in MyFSF was useful.

Would people like to be able to see alternative views of the list of posts. Some of you may have come across bulletin boards where you can see an abbreviated view of threads in a topic - something like this:

Helen's question

|

|--Steve's reply

| |

| ---Susan's follow up

|

|--Linda's reply

| |

| ----Mundia's follow up

| |

| |---Beau's question

Any other comments welcome? I'll be trying to make the new software as transparent and painless to get used to as possible! :)

I personally don't use My FSF page.

The one thing that sometimes frustrates me is that when I view new posts I sometimes don't have time to look at them all and so unless I go through each topic next time I don't know what I've missed!

I don't know if anything can be done to change this but it would be useful - I sometimes want to log in to ask a question, but don't because I may miss something! Very sad aren't I!!

Thanks for that Tracey -

What I do if I want to keep track of the posts is I open the view new posts up in one browser window, then if I want to reply to any I use a second window. I agree it would be nice to have a permanent 'sticky' view of unread posts though. I'll have a think about that. :)

Oh look!!!! I've got a 'MY FSF PAGE'. Nope, I dont use that. :o

The bit about seeing who wrote the replies, you can choose that view on the U5's site, but I use it.

I've read this morning about putting the type of setting people work in on by our names and how many posts we've done, that would be a good idea. :D

Like Magenta I find it annoying that all posts are marked as read if you visit the site and then go away (or in my case my computer crashed xD ) which means you then have no easy way of seeing which posts you haven't read when you log in again. Being able to see in what type of setting the person you are replying to is in would be helpful too. As to the notepad - every now and then I go for a nose about and find it and think "I should use that more" but then completely forget. :( Could we have a button to link to it in My Assistant (which I do use :) )? Can I also ask that you do the changes on either Mon/Wed/Fri morning as I work then so wouldn't miss it. :o

As you mentioned it Steve, I went to My FSF page for the first time today- (obviously I don't use it normally.) I hadn't used the 'notepad' feature either (I had seen it there) but today I decided to put a website address I wanted to remember into it, for use later.

I agree with others about 'view new posts' - if I don't have enough time to read all the posts they are lost when I return later and then I have to trawl through each topic to catch up. :o

I also think it's a good idea to put the type of setting people work in.

Sue J

I'm still getting to grips with everything, but I really only hit the 'view new posts' button and see who is saying what.

I did just check out the resources link though, and found a scrummy recipe - thanks Ruthie!

I think knowing what type of setting everyone is in would be really helpful: it would give some insight into the background of the points they are making!

I know that there are probably lots of things I don't know how to do: but at least I know who to ask to find out!

Maz

I use the My FSF all the time....surely Im not the only one?

i only discovered my cntrols recently (thanks Susan) but find too much text there for me

i have 'seen' the alternative views of lists of posts but find they take up a lot of space if the thread is very long as some of them get to be after awhile.

Ditto, I too lose posts if my computor has to be turned off, or crashes, My hubby doesn'e like me to keep it on too long because although we have anti virus and spyware, the little blighters still get in if the internet is connected for long periods.

I also like to dip in and out in between TV programmes and topping up the old wine glass :o .

I have My FSF as the home page but tend to then skip straight to view last posts.

Good idea to use the notepad for web pages never thought of that, shall do that now.

And yes I would find it useful to know type of setting for each person.

Peggy

Hi Steve

No I don't use My FSF page at all-if I want to keep websites I put them into my favourites. My default page is the forums one and so I come straight to here and view new posts. I agree that knowing each others type of setting would be good. I'm not really bothered about how many posts other members have made, and can look in my controls anyway if I need to.

The only other issue I have, and you have no control over this, is that we all look very carefully at where we are posting new topics. I wanted to find something last week and did a search but I wasn't using the correct words. I looked in the obvious places, it was about a topic, but couldn't find it there. I had to trawl through virtually all of the forums before I found it. And it wasn't where I would have expected to look. It would just make life easier! :o

Linda

Where are "My Controls" :o ? I knew of "MY FSF page" since it is up here at the left :) and I use it for my PM.

I agree it would be better if we could see which posts have new messages that we haven't read yet. I know that feature was visible to members in a Spanish speaking forum, not to visitors.

The rest is okay :D . Keep up the great work!

Hi Steve, I do most of my navigating via the last 10 posts and the most recent topics on the members front page! I also use the index page and look for date changes of the last post listed. I keep forgetting that lots of the info I look for in the forum index is available via MY FSF and have never used the notepad mostly cos Ive never used it and dont know how much I can store?!

I rarely use the new posts unless Ive been absent for a long time and get to my message box via my controls.

Does that help???

Thanks Susan and others - yes it all helps!

I'm glad some of you at least use the MyFSF page - that was my idea and took a bit of time to put together, so you've given me an excuse to keep it! :)

The notepad has quite a large capacity and I can increase that if people seem to be using it up.

I'll work on the view new posts feature, and see if there are options for improving it.

Let's see how we get on...