Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Favourite Chistmas Songs

Inge

following on from the favourite toys form childhood I began to think about my favourite Christmas songs..

now some may not be what is expected here... I could not choose just one as they all came from different times of my life...

My all time favourite carol..

In the Bleak Mid Winter... (last verse always does it for me..)

then came childhood memory ones...

Handel's Messiah (singing this at school loved it so wonderful to be part of a choir singing this in a large church) and to go with that another advent one..

Gaudete - a song of praise.. and yes we sang it in Latin...

that one also brings back other memories as about the same time Steeleye Span made a single of it!

I always love - Mary's Boy Child - but the version was by Harry Belafonte.. and we had it on a 78 remember those anyone?

I do have loads more but for some reason this year these stand out for me.. I may come back with a few more ....

now over to you.. do you have any favourite Christmas songs?

Inge

When a Child is Born by Jonny Mathis (My Nan requested it on local radio as soon as she heard the news of my birth and up until 5yrs ago she requested it on local radio every Christmas day since)

Popular music - It has to be Wham's Last Christmas

Christmas Carol - I think my all time favourite is Oh Little Town of Bethlehem and I am quite fond of Once in Royal David's City.

ppp

Definately Wham here too (but then my OH and I are big George Michael fans). Not really sure about the more traditional ones. Doesn't seem like Christmas until I hear Wham!

No Christmas would ever be complete without Slade! My other favourite one is the Bruce Springsteen version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I spent years searching every Christmas compilation CD until eventually one was released that had it on. My eldest daughter said, 'Who on earth is the old guy ruining this song?' when she heard it! :o

I too love Gaudette but absolutely love Coventry Carol. Our eldest daughter played Cello at school and was in the school orchestra. I was so made up when they did that one year for the Christmas concert. xD My last favourite would have to be God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. My sister got an organ one Christmas and that was in the book that came with it and the only thing I ever wanted to play on it!

I like Gaudete too, in Latin of course, but my all time TURN IT OFF!!! LEAST FAVOURITE is I saw three ships! YUKKKKK!!!

oh and quick edit to ask if anyone else shouts at the telly when they get the characters mixed up in "On the first day of Christmas"?

Edited by Cait

I love the Pogues Fairytale of New York, that really makes it Christmas for me and Silent Night always brings tears to my eyes! When I was working in a British Forces playgroup in Germany we taught the children to sing it in German, we had some German mums, and when the children sang it at the production there wasn't a dry eye in the house, filling up now just thinking about it!

On another note playplayplay's profile picture of a threepenny bit reminds me of my Uncle Charlie, whenever he came to visit when I was little he always gave me a threepenny bit before he left, and as a result we always called them Charlie's! He's long gone now but fondly remembered!!

Oh goodness where to start as there are so many beautiful Christmas songs? For secular songs it has to be Slade and also Christmas Time by Cliff.

My all time favourite is In the Bleak Mid-Winter as it is just stunning especially sung by candlelight in Church. I really love Aled Jones singing O Holy Night with himself as a young chorister. I love Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar and The Shepherds Farewell. Silent Night is a wonderful Carol as well, and I really love Angels From the Realms of glory. Little Jesus Sweetly Sleep is one I remember singing from early childhood, and I love that as well. The Coventry Carol is wonderful with such an evocative tune, but so so sad thinking of all those little boys slaughtered by Herod. I like the Huron Indian Carol..

I think I'll stop now as my list could go on and on and on...

Religious-In the bleak mid-winter especially at midnight mass

For the children-Coventry carol

Popular music-I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake especially the line 'A veil of tears for the virgin birth'

Best memory-Run with torches sung in the Royal Albert hall at the children carol concert in total darkness with each section of the audience adding torch lights with each verse-wep I howled buckets!!

I don't like

12 days of Christmas-BORING!!!

Little drummer boy because of the moors murderers

Away in a manger

I have sung/taught with the children for many years 'Must be Santa' which I picked up 23 years ago for our old music teacher and have never been able to get hold of the music. Last week at 5:55 am it was playing on radio 2 :o it's sung as a polka on Bob Dylans new Christmas CD Christmas in the Heart which is being sold for charity.I shall be buying the album and just need to find the music to the other tune she taught me -I'll telephone and tell Mr Santa Claus' anyone???

The Coventry carol is lovely but not something I would find suitable for children to sing as it is from the Gospel of Matthew, and about the slaughter of young boys under the age of two by Herod, hoping to kill Jesus. Mary and Joseph took their baby away to Eqypt to avoid this death as they were warned by the three Magi, as the story goes.

Lullay, Thou little tiny Child,

By, by, lully, lullay.

Lullay, Thou little tiny Child.

By, by, lully, lullay.

O sisters, too, how may we do,

For to preserve this day;

This poor Youngling for whom we sing,

By, by, lully, lullay.

Herod the King, in his raging,

Charged he hath this day;

His men of might, in his own sight,

All children young, to slay.

Then woe is me, poor Child, for Thee,

And ever mourn and say;

For Thy parting, nor say nor sing,

By, by, lully, lullay.

Like lots of others I love the Coventry Carol. I also really enjoy the Zither carol and Silent Night.

I have to get my copy of Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols every year which, along with The Messiah, takes me straight back to being in the school choir (the one part of school I really enjoyed).

One of the best parts of Christmas each year is when our whole village turns out on Christmas Eve to stand around the Christmas tree on the Green and sing carols. All stoked up with mince pies and mulled wine accompanied by a local brass band. It is just the best way to start Christmas.

And then it wouldn't be the same without Noddy, Wham, Johnny Mathis and the Pogues, would it?

'when the snowman brings the snow, when the snowman brings the snow...' :o

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Children singing Away in a Manger and It was on a Starry Night...........never manage to listen to either without quivering bottom lip!

The Pogues and Kirsty Macoll - my favourite adult Christmas song!

Me, too!!!

Nona X

I had forgotten Run with Torches love that one too...

(I sang it as part of a choir in Royal Albert Hall... the Malcolm Sergeant Christmas Concert - long time ago now.. the feeling of being part of a choir singing in a wonderful place was something I will always remember.. )

Inge

I sang it as part of a choir in Royal Albert Hall... the Malcolm Sergeant Christmas Concert - long time ago now

It wasn't Christmas 1981 was it because thats when I heard it sung at the Royal Albert carol concert?

It wasn't Christmas 1981 was it because thats when I heard it sung at the Royal Albert carol concert?

no a few years before that...(showing my age here!)

I did it for 5 years while doing my training and then working in Royal Free Hospital... it was usually a Choir made up from lots of different Hospital staff who only came together for the day before singing that evening.. It was lots of fun..

Inge