Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

hi me again, god this site is great.

What is everyone using for their learning journeys? I'm currently using those snopake binders: i think that's what they're called). However, the staff and children are findig them very restriciting e.g. the children cannot easily turn the pages of their work without the clamp pinging at them and staff are limited as to how much work can actually fit in. I like the idea of scrap books however cannot find any with sufficient pages. I'm reluctant to buy one with 20 pages or so and end up with each child having 6 to their name.

We made our own using spiral binders. They are great as we have customised them. The front and back covers are laminated A4 card and on the front we have our learning journey logo and a photo of the child with their date of birth. When I make them up I put the relevant sheets in and then lots of sheets of paper. They are also easy to add extra sheets in. They open out flat because of the spiral binding comb.

We use the plastic folders with two metal prongs and add pages in plastic wallets. Worked well last year, the only problem is you have to take them all out to put in the next one, not a big problem really but I wish someone could invent one where the last page goes in on top of the previous one. They don't take up too much space and we keep them in a large empty paint container that we got from GRUMPY. Bought the folders from Staples they were about £2.50 for 5 maybe cheaper I can't really remember.

We use the plastic folders with two metal prongs and add pages in plastic wallets. Worked well last year, the only problem is you have to take them all out to put in the next one, not a big problem really but I wish someone could invent one where the last page goes in on top of the previous one. They don't take up too much space and we keep them in a large empty paint container that we got from GRUMPY. Bought the folders from Staples they were about £2.50 for 5 maybe cheaper I can't really remember.

Have you thought about using them so that the latest date is always on the top - sort of reverse chronological order?

We use ring binders and plastic wallets. When the children leave we put them into individual project folders for the parents to keep.

Ours have lasted really well, they are on their second use, we bought them from Tescos when they were on offer.

We have tried a few different methods over the years but have found that plastic wallets in ring binders are the most convenient for us. Last year we had a child who wanted practically every piece of work she did to go into her 'special book' so we ended up having to use a lever arch file for her which she loved showing off to anyone who came into the nursery.

Guest eagleeye

We make our own by using black sugar paper. We have loads of it cut up slightly bigger than A4 size and then have a laminated card cover for front and back. It is all hole punched and we use treasurey tags to keep it together, that way we can add more pages to the back when needed. They fit really easily in the children's trays and are cheap to make!

We also use ring binders and plastic wallets. Ring binders came from Wilkinsons and cost an extortionate 39p each. :o

For that price we let parents keep the whole thing when children leave us.

Hi

I am a volunteer in a state school nursery and we use profile folders/scrapbooks to keep all the childrens work in and A4 ring binders to keep child information in.

Is this what you are talking about or is this something different.

Smac

Edited by SMAC63

Hi

I am a volunteer in a state school nursery and we use profile folders/scrapbooks to keep all the childrens work in and A4 ring binders to keep child information in.

Is this what you are talking about or is this something different.

Smac

We keep everything in the learning journey folders. Photos, obs and samples of children's work. There is also a space for their personal information and photos parents and children bring from home.

We use 4 ring binders with a pocket on the cover for a photo of the child or a particular piece of work. We don't use plastic wallets unless there's things that may drop off the piece.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)