Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sef Update Form

Following my previous post on this I came up with something and I thought it might be useful to others.

It's basically I suppose an edited action plan which has come about after completing our SEF. That way we can keep an eye on what needs doing without trawling through 40 odd pages of the SEF.

I'm going to circulate this to the relevant people with the things they need to do highlighted.

SEF_Update_Form.doc

You'll like this........not! :(

Have been exchanging emails with my SIP today - have sent her lots of examples re. planning, how we keep parents 'informed', information sharing with other providers etc.etc.

She has been extremely positive in her responses..........but then dropped a 'bombshell'........she said i think the way forward is a really good SEF folder....perhaps we can talk about this on my next visit........WHAT!!! xD

Is she expecting not only a completed SEF :o but a SEF folder..........this would be in addition then, to my operational plan - which if I say it myself is pretty comprehensive!

So I am leaving the country before her next visit - early December - anyone want to join me?!!!!

Hi Sunnyday, don't panic, if your SEF folder is anything like the ones we recommend to settings, its just a way of keeping things together.. eg your SEF, OFSTED reports, action plans, notes/evidence on completed actions, your ECERS or QISP if your LA are using them etc. It may be that you wont find that very helpful, but a lot of settings I work with find it helpful to keep all these things in one place instead of saying... 'now where did I put.., its here somewhere'. This makes it incredibly easy when Mrs O pops along, and you can hand her/him the folder.

I don't know of course if this is what your SIP is thinking I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it probably isn't as scary as it sounds. And Im sure if you already have a perfectly efficient way of keeping everything together then it wont matter and you can explain that to your SIP next time she visits?

I've got all that in my Operational file, I don't want to have to start duplicating everything - but as you say, as long as it's all in one place it doesn't matter where.

Edited by Cait

All this paperwork is a bit mad, isn't it!?

I did find it useful to work through our SEF and put what needs doing in brief, though. I can see how this will help us push the relevant people to do the stuff we've said we'll do.

Having said that, it did take me 2 hours of my own free time, it's a bit annoying that there's an assumption that we will just do it.

The best bit was putting stuff in the 'completed' column, gives a sense that we have got some stuff done!

oh me! me! me! I'll come, we could set up a preschool somewhere where they've never heard of SEFs or EYFS or anything! How about Guernsey?

Sounds like a plan - I'm packing!!!

Hi Sunnyday, don't panic, if your SEF folder is anything like the ones we recommend to settings, its just a way of keeping things together.. eg your SEF, OFSTED reports, action plans, notes/evidence on completed actions, your ECERS or QISP if your LA are using them etc. It may be that you wont find that very helpful, but a lot of settings I work with find it helpful to keep all these things in one place instead of saying... 'now where did I put.., its here somewhere'. This makes it incredibly easy when Mrs O pops along, and you can hand her/him the folder.

I don't know of course if this is what your SIP is thinking I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it probably isn't as scary as it sounds. And Im sure if you already have a perfectly efficient way of keeping everything together then it wont matter and you can explain that to your SIP next time she visits?

Thanks Mundia - that does make perfect sense - "Good morning Mrs O, here is my SEF and here is the file that supports my SEF"............

Im getting all confused now.... in my operational plan i have examples of forms that we use, not the actual forms... e.g. action plans .......they are all in their own individual files.

I like the idea of a SEF folder, it just means a bigger single file for me, and it would make things a lot more organised.

I cant wait to get all this paperwork finished so i can get rid of all the samples, and info and notes all over my desk! but now im wondering... once im done... what am i gonna do with all my time?!?! :o

I cant wait to get all this paperwork finished so i can get rid of all the samples, and info and notes all over my desk! but now im wondering... once im done... what am i gonna do with all my time?!?! :o

Oh bother! - I was going to suggest that you could come and do mine (paperwork that is) - but have just spotted you are in the 'North West' - I'm Kent - too far I suppose?!!! :(xD:(:(

Why would you need a SEF file/folder if you have an Operational File? We have an extremely comprehemsive O/File and the thought of having yet another fiel/folder to keep track of.....................

mindia what you are saying to put into this file is all (and more) in my O/File- with plans to put my SEF in there , once completed.

Hmm I think what Mundia is suggesting is just things to do with the SEF rather than all your documents to prove how you operate. So, your SEF and any amendments you make to it, your action plan on the SEF. So it's just an appendix to your Operational File, but all to do with the SEF.

Hi there Lynne.

I suggested that if you have a perfectly efficient system in place then there is no need to change it and I wouldn't expect anyone to. Everyone works differently, and for some people, they would prefer a few smaller folders which relate to specific things rather than one huge one that contains everything.

Its just another way of organizing things which we offer to settings should they want some help with keeping focused and on top of things.

In reply to the suggestion made by Mundia I would like to add I have everything listed, SEF Operational Plan, ECERs-E, ECERs-R, ITERs, Quality Mark, action plans following advise/visits from Ofsted, EYAT, EYFS consultant, EYFS consultant under 3's, CDO, SENCO and more (draw in large deep breath) in one place, its called my office and its all getting far too much to cope with.

I think setting up a provision on a desert island and just having to meet the needs/demands of the children and their families that live there would suit me down to the ground. Dream on.

Oh dear time to wake up now - tea won't cook its self will it!!

Just to add this isn't meant to get at anyone but we have so many "masters" to be answerable to its just getting crazy. Did anyone ask us if we wanted consultants or sip's or any of the others, or ask how we feel we could be best helped or supported; no, but the "opinion" of these individuals seem to have us all jumping through hoops, especially when you look at some of these posts. We have to make the support work for us and in the way that suits individual settings and not plan to leave the country every time they are due.

We could always pretend the doorbell isn't working when they come?

Edited by BMG