Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medical

Hi Is there anyone who has had a medical for ofsted. I have been working as manager at my setting for 7 months,I was the deputy before this. I worked at another setting as manager in 2006 and had a suitable persons interview with ofsted and passed. I had to fill in a health declaration form then all was well. I had to fill in a new one for the preschool where I am working now nothings changed health wise. At the weekend I recieved a letter saying I have to go to a medical. I have been working in childcare for nearly 9 years.Very confused.

Dorinda

no but it cost me 74.00 for my doctor to sign my form. I telephoned ofsted and she said they don't know why. but it will take 40 mins for my medical.Oh well if I don't pass I will be out of a job.

Dorinda

If they dont know why you need a medical then WHY are they asking you to have one. I woul dbe inclined to insist on a reason in writing for the need for one.

I have found that the last twice I have done this with ofsted they have written saying that I didn't have to do what they were asking. (does that make sense!!)

If they dont know why you need a medical then WHY are they asking you to have one. I woul dbe inclined to insist on a reason in writing for the need for one.

I have found that the last twice I have done this with ofsted they have written saying that I didn't have to do what they were asking. (does that make sense!!)

Absolutely - I second this!

One does hope that this is not the thin end of the wedge....another hoop they are going to make us jump through.

Hmmm....have to say I thought that........sincerely hope not.......do not wish to and can't afford to pay for a 'medical' and the result would surely read........

This woman is well past her sell by date!!! :oxD

No medical but they did write to my doctor for "further information". I would question it as I'm surprised they haven't asked me due my multiple broken bits, and if you are in good health it seems a bit odd. Unless they randomly select individuals to check the reports are accurate. Blimey a medical for me could take all day!

hi, was googling for info on something completely unrelated and came acrooss this paragraph from a fee guidance document by the British Medical Assoc.

Childminders

31 March 2009

F Childminders

The responsibility for the regulation of childminding and day care for children under eight transferred from local authorities to the Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED) from 2001. In order for people to be registered as childminders OFSTED must check on their suitability. The GP fee for the completion of the required form will be paid either by the intended childminder, the person in charge or the employer. OFSTED is not responsible for paying this fee.

Effective date: 1 April 2009

Completion of childminder health form: £87.50

Note: This fee is paid by the childminder, person in charge, or employer.

the document is here

http://www.bma.org.uk/images/Fees6_tcm41-173923.pdf

Personally think its another government 'moneymaker' - interesting there was little explanation to go with the form - imagine if we'd sent out theEYFS to parents and left it at that... i'm sure the big'o' inspector would have much to say :o Double standards??!!

Shocking isn't it... Particularly when you enquire to the 'o' and they don't seem to know the reasoning behind it xD

Don't know how many have had to pay so far (can't decide how to interpret 'childminder'...I think it includes daycare settings too).

Am also now wondering what they then do with the information when they've got it? With such a lack of info surrounding it, it's hard to know their 'next steps'! Do they have a set of suitability guidelines regarding what's acceptable to have 'suffered'...like many have said already depression etc is common..Maybe the Cwdc will have a ready reckoner for us alongside the qualifications check!!

(must stop taking the cynical pills :o)

Am also now wondering what they then do with the information when they've got it?

Good point!

What will they do with it?

How will they store it?

How long will they keep it for?

Will anyone else have access to it?

Will they let it be put on laptop or cd which then gets left on e train or goes missing in the post?

This is very personal information and I think anyone undergoing a medical has a right to some answers.

Will they let it be put on laptop or cd which then gets left on e train or goes missing in the post?

xD:(:(:( Nice one... You've too take cynical pills... :o

Do they have a policy for said document..do all inspectors know it inside out...how is it communicated (badly,obviously!! haha)

seriously though, what you've said Upsy Daisy is only what they expect of us...

Thank you for your replies. I telephoned ofsted. They said nothing had been put on my file saying why I need one.They also said about 50% of childcare workers have to have a medical. Mines on Wednesday of next week will let you all know how I get on

Dorinda

Well I have obviously been talking to the 50% that dont have them then as you are the first I have heard having to actually have one- get letters form their GP yes- but no medical. I think in your shoes I would still be asking WHY before I went along for one, especialy given your employment history. Is the medical with your GP?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I went to my medical last wednesday for Ofsted.I telephoned them today and asked if my report had come through. They recieved it Friday and said that I am suitable to run my setting. I still think that this was a complete waste of time. I had to leave work early and travel for forty minutes. Ofsted still did not know why I had to have one.

Dorinda

This really does seem a waste of your time and hard earned money

As DottyP, I have been in the setting for over 12 years and have never been asked for a medical

Dont know where the 50% of practitioners are who have been asked to take a medical, because they obviously arent registered on here