Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sip

sunnyday

Hi all

I have had my first SIP visit today.......all went fairly well........just thought I would pass on the following.....it may well be that everyone is already doing this and it is just me :o but just in case......

Did you know that we are meant to record the addresses of other settings or childminders that our children attend?

Currently I only have the names but no addresses..........

Also when looking at my planning she said that I should change this.......at the top of each day it says.......

Monday 19th Oct. (or whatever)

Continuous Provision +

I then list planned enhancements (sometimes this is retrospective)

Anyway she didn't like 'Continuous Provision' and said that I should change that to Enabling Environment +

her reasoning was that that is using EYFS 'language'

I write to the other settings asking if we can share info - no one ever replies but it impresses the big O!!

I had my first sip about 2 weeks ago, the lady was checking all safeguarding paperwork - policies and procedures, first aid box, certificates, risk assessment and so on - it felt like another inspection!!

:o

My first SIP went very well, for SIP read former EYAT!

I had a check list to make sure that policies and welfare requirements were in place.

I gave her my draft SEF.

Next meeting 3 hours at least to discuss the SEF she has taken away to look at.

Homework re-work SEF into the new format (that's a job for half term)

All in all fairly positive stuff, but one suspects that settings will be asking for a return to EYAT system in a year or two

because SIP's don't have enough time to really cover the supportive side of an EYAT.

By luck and good fortune I do record names and addresses of other settings being used - only because I have such an awful memory and wanted things recorded for easy ref.

Homework re-work SEF into the new format (that's a job for half term)

Ah ....now.....that's another thing - she (SIP) told me today that the reason the new format is not available to download at the moment is because Ofsted are going to change it AGAIN at the end of October.......whether or not this is accurate I have no idea....but that was what she said

Ah ....now.....that's another thing - she (SIP) told me today that the reason the new format is not available to download at the moment is because Ofsted are going to change it AGAIN at the end of October.......whether or not this is accurate I have no idea....but that was what she said

:oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

So what's the point of achieving EYPS and all that that involves if someone from outside (other than OFSTED :o) can come in and tell us how we should be doing things (planning etc) if what we are doing works for us?

Sorry - just feeling a bit anti SIP/EYAT tonight!

I would smile politely and carry on!

It's always been simply advisory in the past - I can't think that would (or should) change. After all, we are the ones actually working with the children and having knowledge about them. If it becomes compulsory, it will be " For EYFS read National Curriculum - Early Years"

It's part of what the Open Eye campaign have been on about and I for one do not believe that was ever the intention of the authors.

And I will carry on following the children, doing what they want and are interested in, allowing them to have a lovely, fun-filled time whilst in our care.

Rant over. Off soap box.

I was about to show my ignorance as to what the hell is a SIP when I saw it used to be an EYAT! We still have EYATs in our area and ours was very happy and supportive when she visited two weeks ago, and only offered what I felt was useful advice. We've also been lucky, so far, in that we have had Ofsted inspectors who have enjoyed their visits and made positive suggestions. Nevertheless, I do feel that the system and the never-ending changing goalposts are out to beat us poor sessional, parent-run, happy, community pre-schools into submission and send all children into institutional care from the moment they are born. How many of you think the same way?!

Nevertheless, I do feel that the system and the never-ending changing goalposts are out to beat us poor sessional, parent-run, happy, community pre-schools into submission and send all children into institutional care from the moment they are born. How many of you think the same way?!

I thought that years ago Sharky. Some years ago I said that in 10 years there'd be none of us left. Well, we're hanging on for now and I for one will not let go. :o