Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Level 1

Does a level 1 count in ratios?

I worked with a L1 and L2 today with 7 babies and for about 20 mins with just the L1. Obviously the 20 mins was way wrong and I'm not happy about it, I didnt go on my lunch because I couldnt in all conscience leave the L1 and L2 with the 7 children, but for the rest, where do I stand?

Edited by Rea

Does a level 1 count in ratios?

I worked with a L1 and L2 today with 7 babies and for about 20 mins with just the L1. Obviously the 20 mins was way wrong and I'm not happy about it, I didnt go on my lunch because I couldnt in all conscience leave the L1 and L2 with the 7 children, but for the rest, where do I stand?

What are you counting as a level 1 Rea? I didn't think a level 1 childcare qualification existed these days.

Anyway, I'm not sure the EYFS says anywhere that unqualified staff are not able to be counted in ratios, so I would have thought a Level 1 could. However, I am happy to be corrected (well not happy, because that means I shouldn't be counting my unqualified staff member in my ratios). :o

That said, our adult: child ratios are so high anyway that it probably wouldn't matter.

Hopefully someone will come along with the definitive answer soon.

Maz

What are you counting as a level 1 Rea? I didn't think a level 1 childcare qualification existed these days.

I dont know Maz, she just happened to mention this morning that shes skipping the L2 to go straight to the L3 and shes only got her L1. I know things like this happen but not being staff I like to be extra hot on this stuff and not ever be questioned.

My understanding is that a level 1 is like an unqualified staff member as far as ratios are concerned - its only level 2 and above that count as qualified therefore 7 babies = 3 staff on duty at ratio of 1:3 which = 2 qualified to level 2 and 1 other!

just googled it and a level one was/is?? a cache and nvq qualification - learn something new every day :o

There used to be something called the Introduction to Pre-school Practice which CACHE offered as an entry level course. It was also the first module of the Certificate in Pre-school Practice, but you could also do it as a standalone course which was said to roughly equate to a Level 1. However, since they changed the Level 2 course around a bit you can no longer do the first part of the course on its own, so the Level 1 part disappeared.

It may be that this practitioner did a similar course a long while ago, but it is unusual for anyone to say they're a Level 1. Definitely unqualified though, whatever she calls herself!

Maz

Apparantly there is a new course starting that precedes the level 2. I have a student starting a placement next week. She came for an induction yesterday and she seems to think that she will be qualified on completion. When I get her paperwork through I will find out the name of the course.

I had always understood that as long as half of the staff were qualified, unqualifieds could be counted into ratio, along with volunteers, but the volunteers have to have a regular pattern of attendance at the setting to allow you to do that. So your volunteer had to attend one or more sessions per week every week to be counted in.

Personally, I don't count volunteers in - but that's just me, had some dodgy experiences with volunteers in the past!!

Thanks SueJ

Number 4 on that list states that 'The ratios include any children of staff or volunteers'. Do you think rota parents class as volunteers? Our rota parents bring younger siblings with them and I've always looked upon it as the child is the parents responsibilty. Think I need to find out the definition for volunteer! Not that our rota parents do volunteer- it is a requirement of our setting.

Oooh just re-read number 7. Is that paragraph saying that if only two members of staff are working on a certain day, both must be qualified (with 1 least being L3)? Does that make sense?

:o

ppp

there is a level 1 still being done at our local college.. usually it is the younger student who complete it or those who have learning issues, most of them are 16 just from school when they do it, sort of vocational training.. we have had several on placements..

as to ratios.. unqualified count as can volunteers if they are on a regular basis and as long as qualified staff ratio are covered..

they do make it a minefield when it could be put across so much easier.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)