Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Translator

Have posted this here as i want as meny people as poss to see it

Does any one have access to a translator in Tamil ?

I also need or want books with Tamil writting in as well, I can find every other language but not Tamil

any suggestions would be great

this particular family has a child with SEN as well as EA

Thank you

Tamil is one of the languages covered by the fab website by Newbury Park Primary School here which is great for numbers, common words etc.

In our Borough we have an Ethnic Minority Achievement Service who can help with support and resources - your LA must have something similar I'd have thought? Or might be able to offer a signposting service.

Sorry, but that's the limit of my offer today!

Maz

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Suer

Just wanted to thank Maz for that link. I have been trying to get some Thai words for my setting and this helps so much! Just wondered whether I need to display the writing or is the phonetical translation acceptable? Eg. On my welcome sign display the word welcome in Thai. Or do I use both? As getting an image of the Thai writing may be difficult.

ppp

Hello Suer

Just today at work I booked a tamil speaking interupter, i used him last week and he was great, unfortunately I am in manchester and I see you are miles away!!! However i booked him with Language empire which i think had several numbers for various parts of country. I am at home now so can not give you any phone numbers but if you think it might be worth trying them let me know and I will get them tomorrow when I am in work.

thanks for all your help

great link Maz

how much was your interpretor?

the problem with using parents and i have done for translating numbers and names etc is cofidentiality with children that have sen and are on iep's

The books is that a web address?

have spoken to and have lots to do with members of our eyat team and players at KCC but no joy

I knew that some one on here would come up with something

thank you thank you thank you

I had a meeting with our EMAS service lady today and she tells me there is a reliable translator website which she's going to email me the details of. I don't really trust these things, but if she says its ok then I guess it must be. I did tell her that if I use it for signs and communication books etc and I find I've been saying rude words in Polish I shall hold her responsible, :o so we'll see.

I'll post the details here when I get them.

Maz

PS I'm also very interested to know how much a translator costs!

• 3 months later...

I am sure many of you are aware of the translation facility in 'word' but I wasn't until yesterday!

I have just opened the document we use to obtain information about new children, clicked on 'review' and on the left hand side is a 'translate' icon - clicked on this and a list of languages appears on the right handside.

I am so excited that as I am typing this my printer is churning out our information document in Arabic :o The list does not include Tamil but does have several languages to choose from so thought I would share xD

I am sure many of you are aware of the translation facility in 'word' but I wasn't until yesterday!

I had never noticed this before! I've always been a bit wary of these online translation services, so I did a quick check - I typed in "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" and translated it into French. When I re-translated from French to English, I got "the quick brown foxed jumped on the lazy dog" which is very close but not quite the same thing.

I'd just be a bit worried that somethng might get lost in the translation. :o I'll be interested to see how you get on with yours, Geraldine!

Maz

which reminds me of when one of our staff thought she was being very helpful using one site to translate a few sentences for the setting, when we showed it to one of the mums she actually laughed so much as it was giving such a different meaning to the one intended...

luckily we had become quite friendly with her as her English improved over the time her child was with us... and she ended up doing the translations for us...

I always did the translate back thing Maz describes and results can be very varied .

Inge

Edited by Inge

I am so excited that as I am typing this my printer is churning out our information document in Arabic

I'd be careful before handing that to any Arabic speaking parents! The translator in word is no better than the online translators and it probably no longer says what you originally intended it to say. Unfortunately translators have to pick the 'best fit' or the most common useage of the word when they translate as they can only translate word by word rather than looking at the whole sentence which is what would give each word its context and meaning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)