Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessment Form

Hi all, I need to write a risk assessment following on from my meeting today with the fire officer. I need to find a form that allows me to write about our discussion, the points he raised, and our assessment together of the risks involved. There's quite a lot to include.

Does anyone have a blank that gives space for me to put quite a lot of detail in? The forms we currently use are a bit short for what I'm after.

Hi all

Can I ask do you have a risk assessment displayed in all areas ie

in malleable workshop risk to assess gloop, playdough, in maths area one for small threading beads etc or just one form kept in a file covering everything.

As we have been advised we need to do this where do you stop though

Some advise pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease !

thanks

sharon

Hi,

We use a separate set for each area, and list all the toys/equipment that will be used in that area. We dont keep them in the areas, they go in the risk assessment file, but staff are asked to read through these on induction.

We were recently told by our Early years advisor that there must be a risk assessment for every type of resource that we have.

Ali :)

Hi,

We use a separate set for each area, and list all the toys/equipment that will be used in that area. We dont keep them in the areas, they go in the risk assessment file, but staff are asked to read through these on induction.

We were recently told by our Early years advisor that there must be a risk assessment for every type of resource that we have.

Groan, groan ..... that's me groaning xD I certainly don't have this in place - but that doesn't mean a thing! :o

If my EY advisor tell's me this I shall be asking which page of the Statutory Guidance shows this ........ maybe it's there - will have a look later.......

Hi,

Hi Alis2son

Would it be possible to post some of these? Expecting the big O and am panicing about how much I've got to do before they come - RISK Assesments being a big part of it with Safeguarding being so high on Ofsted's agenda!

Thanks

H

Well we certainly dont have written r/a's for each activity and/or resource or areas, in fact I have never heard of anything more impracticle or ridiculous. What a waste of time, if we did this there would be no spontaneous activities,( Like Let's go and stand in the rain or watch the snow fall or Make a necklace from threading beads or a 1001 other things as it would be ' Oh wait we have to do a risk assessment first) staff (i,e me!!) would spend each and every day writing out risk assessments and nothing else. Where does it say this? Who has said this? THEY (as in the mythical they who invent all stupid things to do) make me so cross sometimes. As Sunnyday says if I am told this I shall ask where it is written in the EYFS that it has to be done for each and every one. Honestly I cannot think of a more pointless time wasting excercise, can we not be credited with a little bit of sense.

I am so sorry for the rant ( & the spelling!) but this sort of thing really does make my blood boil. Sometimes I think it is time I was thinking of retiring.

ooooooooooooo I don't plan on writing one for every activity - in fact have just done a general one for most areas of the unit - toilets / etc and given up at that - sick of all the bloomin paperwork and still got some number crunching to do!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggghh!

• 1 month later...

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but page 33 of the EYFS statutory framework states " risk assessment should cover anything with which a child may come into contact with" this is in the stautory guidance for which you must have regard, if you decide not have 'regard' to this then you must demonstrate you are metting this requirement another way (page 20, 3.6 statutory framework)

Sorry !!!

So, Sunshineshowers, what do you do?

I ensure my risk assessments cover most things children come in to contact with that I consider have a higher risk, for example outdoor climbing equipment, sand, water, small beads, playdough, etc and review them annually.

To take the framework guidance to the extreme would be impractical, by risk assessing most things i would consider myself to be meeting the guidance (because the statment was guidance with which to have regard, not you must do this). New resources are risk assessed as we get them and reviewed annually.

So, what do you do?

surely, a risk assessment is just that, you consider the risks and note any actions to minimise them.

There will be many areas/resources which have no unique risks and therefore can be clumped together.

I would say, risk assessment EVERYTHING, then consider those areas where a risk has been identified and note down the actions/risks, etc.

Things like cars, dinosaurs could be ra'd together as resources but lego you might want to do seperately with a risk of being swallowed or stuck up noses!

Lets not get too bogged down with all this paperwork!!!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)