Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand Washing Soap

blondie

can you help me -we have no running water in our room and have to collect any water we need from a kitchen up the corridoor.

this is a real pain as you can understand -we were using antibaterial hand wash -the type you have a blob on your hands and you rub it and and allow to dry - however we have been told today we can no longer use it and told to use foamy soap?

does anyone use this and if so how much does it cost and where do you get it from?

many thanks

We run from a church hall with no running water in the hall. we were told hand washing MUST be under RUNNING water. I have asked lots of advice about this but the type of soap has never been mentioned (we use antibac blob on your hands too)

I think foamy soap means like the Kandoo or Johnsons children handwash maybe, think boots do a kids one too? It comes out all foamy. OMG don't you just get told one thing by one person and completely another by someone else!

can you help me -we have no running water in our room and have to collect any water we need from a kitchen up the corridoor.

this is a real pain as you can understand -we were using antibaterial hand wash -the type you have a blob on your hands and you rub it and and allow to dry - however we have been told today we can no longer use it and told to use foamy soap?

does anyone use this and if so how much does it cost and where do you get it from?

many thanks

Pampered chef do a foam handwash thing that you add normal antibacterial soap to then top up with water. When you press pump you get a bit of foam which you rub on hands till dry.

Worth a look.....

Hi

We use Mr Soapy foam soap and we get it from the Consortium. We have a dispenser on the wall in which the Mr Soapy cartridges are put. From memory a box of 6 (I think 1 litre bottles) costs around £30 to £40. We always used anti bacterial soap at my old setting but not in my new one. I think it states in one of the PLA policies that antibacterial soap should not be used with young children.

yes thats what we have been told today - it was fine before the summer holidays though. we cannot physically get the children to wash their hands under running water - we did try a while ago when it came to snack time - but it took forever as the children queued in turn - most of them would then decide they wanted the toilet and so have to wash their hands again .

this is a real pain as you can understand -we were using antibaterial hand wash -the type you have a blob on your hands and you rub it and and allow to dry - however we have been told today we can no longer use it

Can you explain the reasons you were given as to why your present product was not to be used any longer and can you tell us who it was that gave you this information.

Hi Blondie,

We purchased a mobile sink unit from Galt - although it was about £200 it was well worth the money. It has two plastic bottles underneath the sink. One for the fresh water and one for the waste water. You pump the tap to make the water flow. Works very well. Good luck.

Scottiedog

many thanks

Hi

we just use the Tesco value and it seems to do the trick its about 36p, we had our Ofsted inspection and nothing was mentioned. Hope this helps

and we were told that wet wipes - non perfumed - were quite acceptable for 'handwashing' when we didn't have nay hot water. It's just who you get visiting!

It certainly does ........ I got my wrist slapped for having a 'communal' bowl for handwashing - this was just for after painting/sticking etc.

Children always washed hands 'properly' after use of toilet and before eating.

This has been discussed here before and I know that it is 'common practice'........ not ideal I know but neither is 'losing' a staff member to handwashing in the bathroom!

Not bitter and twisted - honest! :oxD

As previously stated, it all comes down to who is visiting and giving out the info. We were told that communal bowl with soap for washing after messy activities was perfectly acceptable. Fortunately, our facilities are close enough not to worry about that. I do it when we have been doing hand prints, but that's the only time we need to.

There was a flier on here a while back wasn't there which was exploding the myths that build up about using egg boxes, toilet rolls etc., did that state anything about hand washing.

I also remember in N.W. mag. last year there was an article about anti - bac soap - I believe it was saying that because children do not rinse their hands properly the soap gathers in the creases of their hands and then bugs become resistant to the anti-bacterial element. What the article didn't say was that the anti-bactierial soap police would be out in force making sure children didn't use it!

I would still like to know who told Blondie not to use this soap and the reasons for it.

Edited by Panders

• 2 years later...

I don't use anti-bac soap in my setting as the children are not capable of washing for the five minutes it takes to have any affect on bacteria, and I don't want more chemicals around than need be.

I see finleysmaid is saying something similar. Anti-bac is a scam in my opinion.

Honey

http://www.justhygiene.co.uk/products/no-germs-foaming-handwash-43/

This is link to what we have been using for the past couple of years, I had been buying it from Waitrose, but they don't always stock it now. It smells really lovely. Foams well, the children use it independently, yes it is anti-bac but during the appropriate hand washing before snack time the children are supervised in their hand washing and we feel their hands are washed well.

We used flannels in warm water with Matey and then the children washed their hands with a flannel each. They were used once and then washed. To transport the warm water we also used the insulated jugs which we got from tescos in the sale.

• Like 2

For our FS and previously our Preschool we have a kiddiwash http://www.kiddiwash...he-kiddiwash-kw (also available in the TTS catalogue) we use this alongside handwash, they are absolutely fab.

We do use anti-bac gel for Forest school after handwashing, this has been approved by Ofsted

K

Don't get me wrong, anti-bac has its place - and a gel that stays in place long enough to be effective is just fine - doesn't remove any dirt but will kill bugs. It's just in soaps that I think it's a scam. In a kitchen, a proper cleaning schedule requires removal of dirt and grease with hot soapy water (which is rinsed off), and then the application of a sanitiser which stays on long enough to kill remaining 'germs'. The principle is the same with hands but washing and rinsing well should remove enough of the bugs to reduce risks to an acceptable level.

Clean enough

Honey.

Don't get me wrong, anti-bac has its place - and a gel that stays in place long enough to be effective is just fine - doesn't remove any dirt but will kill bugs. It's just in soaps that I think it's a scam. In a kitchen, a proper cleaning schedule requires removal of dirt and grease with hot soapy water (which is rinsed off), and then the application of a sanitiser which stays on long enough to kill remaining 'germs'. The principle is the same with hands but washing and rinsing well should remove enough of the bugs to reduce risks to an acceptable level.

Clean enough

Honey.

COmpletely agree, we have to use anti-bac gel due to risk of weils disease etc, although it has to be used in addition to handwashing under running water, however when we handwashed in our indoor provsion always used squirty soap.

Kx

Guest sn0wdr0p
www.earlyyearsdirect.com sell a mobile hand wash unit for £130. (They also sell a lovely workbench which is rather tempting, oh and some really well priced wobbler chairs which I have been looking for ages for my 18 month olds - The catalogue is new to me today and I will have to control myself after a £260 spend at ikea yesterday)

Thats the same one we have - they are very very good.

www.earlyyearsdirect.com sell a mobile hand wash unit for £130. (They also sell a lovely workbench which is rather tempting, oh and some really well priced wobbler chairs which I have been looking for ages for my 18 month olds - The catalogue is new to me today and I will have to control myself after a £260 spend at ikea yesterday)