Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Catalogues

Panders

As I sit here with yet another 2 catalogues having been delivered - both having the same items in, but in a different order, i was wondering if anyone else gets cheesed off with the astounding amount of catalogues that arrive, sometimes unsolicited, on your door mat.

Not only do they come to my home address, but I am in the delightful position of getting a second batch delivered to the setting!

Not only the main catalogues arrive - now we have to have "mini" catalogues, sale catalogues, postcards reminding us that there is a sale etc. it goes on and on and for some reason they all have to be encased in plastic bags.

Whilst on the one hand there appears to be a huge choice of products to choose from, when narrowed down to the fact that they all pretty much sell the same stuff - choice begins to disapear, all that would appear to vary is the prices they are prepared to charge.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind looking at the first new catalogue of the year to arrive - perhaps there will be some new innovative item in there to tempt me, but the constant flow thereafter makes me want to scream.

OK RANT OVER!

so am I Hali,

and for me its 10 months since I left... don't think they will ever stop.

I even get some for the chairman of 6 years ago at my home address!

and yes they all have to come put of the plastic to put in recycling paper bin... after removing the name and address printed on many for shredding.

Inge

there was one company who used to send 2 identical catalogues to the same address just with a different name on it, and now I have left there is a third one going to the setting, after all there is a new name for them to use!

Inge

This is one of my pet hates too! It used to be that mail order companies would issue 2 catalogues a year - Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter. Nowadays they seem to issue one every 2 or 3 weeks under a different guise but with identical content. I am really fed up with the amount I end up putting in my recycling bin. :o

Viking direct don't even bother with the plastic bag these days thank goodness - so after a shake to make sure there's no-one's mail inside (yes, it does happen) they can be dropped straight in the recycle bin. SSS I find the most annoying - I get 3 to the house, my own name, the setting name and 'products buyer' as well as having them drop out of nursery world and practical preschool and under 5 !!!!

me too -you get one with your own name on , another with head of nursery on, and usually another with pre-school manager on -it never seems to end.

i do like reflections on learning - a bit different from the others but we like it.

galt, nes etc all seem to be the same but with different prices!

talking about nursery magazines -i want to renew our order (we used to have practical pre-school and nursery world which the last committee stopped as too expensive) but would like ideas on which people think are the best and why please.this is because can only have one of these - thanks

i always open N.W. Sunnyday - then skim through, making mental notes :oxD so that I can come back to them. Every now and then I go through them all ripping out what I think is interesting and file them. i used to prefer the format a few years ago with the activities and posters as opposed to now but I shall keep getting it I think. I also get the EYE once a month perhaps this would be better - we could ignore just 12 copies rather than 52 :(

Regarding previous post I was given a sum of money to buy magazines, books for study and the group it covered ICT equip. too. I haven't yet spent it all, had to send off the receipts and prove I had taken out subscriptions etc. i'll have a little dig around my paper work and see if I can find out who, what, and where from, perhaps your group could get a grant for similar. Not sure why I got it to be frank, I didn't apply for it, but all donations gratefully accepted.

Regarding previous post I was given a sum of money to buy magazines, books for study and the group it covered ICT equip. too. I haven't yet spent it all, had to send off the receipts and prove I had taken out subscriptions etc. i'll have a little dig around my paper work and see if I can find out who, what, and where from, perhaps your group could get a grant for similar. Not sure why I got it to be frank, I didn't apply for it, but all donations gratefully accepted.

Yes we had it too - huge sum of money - just landed in my account - I was quite worried about that and spent ages ringing various advisors and KCC until I found out why........ from what I could understand ........ Kent had money to build more Children's Centres - for various reason this hadn't happened....so they had to divide the money between the PVI providers - woohoo!!! Made short work of spending mine!!!