Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dismissed

HI,

for all who have been following my previous posts i have been dismissed tonight from my job as nursery manager.... they said it was gross misconduct. I feel terrible. I made a wrong decision re the trip and i have to live with that, but nothing happened.... feeling like they have used the most excessive means to get rid of me when i could have been issued with a warning for this.

they dropped the allegation of obtaining money by deception by accruing unauthorised hours because they had no clear policies on how time back should be accrued. so at least this won't be on my record.

I need to go in at some point to clear my desk and to hand in receipts for petty cash and funds, as well as to jot down my running 'to do' list. They have agreed to pay me till the end of the month.

they have said i have a right to appeal, blah, blah, blah... but don't see much point right now.

Dawn

Oh Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you talk to ACAS and what advice did they give you - is it worth talking to them again in the light of the decision to dismiss you?

Take care of yourself - I hope you get some sleep tonight and will be able to start planning for your future.

Maz

Oh Dawn what can I say, how horrible for you. I can well imagine you feel dreadful and I can just sympathise and send a virtual shoulder for you to cry on. I am so so sorry. I can also understand that you don't want to appeal. You are doubtless feeling very very sore right now and would not want to face it.

I am amazed they have been able to do this in this way. Did you get advice from ACAS or anywhere else? Were you able to have someone with you? I find it difficult to see that they followed correct procedure.

My thoughts are with you

Gruffalo2 :oxD:(

I am so sorry to hear your news Dawn :o

I imagine at the moment you are feeling hurt/upset/angry and a whole host of other emotions. Maybe a little time to come to terms with the shock of what has happened (before you think about whether or not to appeal)

is a good idea?

All sorts of questions spring to mind! Do you have a contract of employment and what does is say about disciplinary procedures and did they follow them.

I would think carefully about what to do next and not make any rash decisions.

Be gentle on yourself and I am sure there will be others along with words of wisdom greater than I can offer - sorry I have been poorly recently and my brain isn't quite in gear yet!

I'm so sorry Dawn and astounded that this can happen in this way. Take some time for yourself and think about your next move. I do think it is very important that you talk to someone about the whole business whether it is ACAS, Union, Employment Law Solicitor or CAB. Even if you decide not to appeal at least you will know the rights and wrongs of what has happened to you, and it will help you to move on. Lots of love and hugs.

I think you should definately phone ACAs tomorrow for proper advice.In the meantime, try to get some sleep, so you can sort this all through in your head tomorrow.Above all, try to keep your head up.I know from bitter expereince how horrid all this sort of stuff can be.............and i walked away without a fight from my last setting, because i didn't want upset for the children, and I wanted to maintain my own dignity.All very laudable, but it left question marks hanging over me, and in hindsight ( yes good old hindsight!), I should have fought their accusations like a tiger! But, do what is right for you.............and take care xx

I am so sorry to hear what they have done.

It has been clear from the very beginning of this sorry saga that you are conscientious and care deeply about doing the right things for your nursery and the children in your care. Nothing that you have described justifies the way you have been treated.

Don't try to decide your next move too quickly. Take some advice and a little time to think and then work out what feels right. You could benefit from an appeal even if you don't want your job back. You need to get some good advice from an expert when you feel strong enough.

Don't let this get you down too much. Try to see it as a door opening which will lead you to your next job in, hopefully, a much better place with supportive employers. You are committed to doing a good job and there is someone out there who will appreciate that and a whole bunch of children whose lives you will enhance.

Keep updating us. We will be thinking of you.

Take care

xxx

Hi Dawn

I agree with Upsey Daisy, nothing that you have described justifies the way you have been treated.

I could easily see myself in your shoes having made the same decision regarding the trip and this is a salutory lesson for someone like me setting out on the managerial role. Nothing happened. I am amazed at how people can interpret things so differently from one's own point of view.

I think you need some serious advice and support, as others have suggested. I am very concerned to know what your reaction will be once the shock has worn off.

Please take care of you.

hope you had some sleep last night - although i expect you spent most of it going over and over that day? the decision you made that day was probably the same most of us would have made-trying to please parents,children etc - however it will now make us all think again.

take care and if you want to talk it through again with acas i dont think it will hurt - but its your decision andf you might want to just move on.

there is a better job out there for you

Oh Dawn, as people have said its one of those decisions that we sometimes get right and sometimes get wrong. I hope you do manage to get advice to help you make your next step. Take care, we are all thinking about you. mrsW.x

What an awful situation and I can only guess at how you feel. I can't think of anything useful to add to what's been said, other than I hope you feel a little better today having slept on it, and can begin to see a way forward, whatever that may be for you. My husband works in HR and I would say it's good advice to talk it over with someone in the know, even if you have no interest in appealing. You may need to think about a reference, for instance.

so sorry to here your news.my heart goes out to you

My son has just been through dismissal (he s not in child care) he was dismissed on an unfounded allegation by an anonomus phone call !!! his bosses chose to believe over him.we think they were trying to get rid of him too!!!

Think carefully about your next step and maybe take legal advice .

Take care of yourself and try not to beat yourself up about "if only "

I think they ve treated you really badly

sending you much love and support

janice xxxx

I've only just read all this Dawn. Really sorry you've been treated this way. Talk to an employment solicitor, my dad did when the company he'd worked for for over 40 years decided to sell and his years of employment went back to zero with the new owners.

You and the owners know your sides of it but a solicitor is unbiased and will look at it all from an objective law based angle.

Hope everything works out, we all make mistakes Dawn, most of us are lucky enough to have people around us who understand that, take comfort in your close family and friends. :o

Hi Dawn,

Referring back to Janices post....it sounds to me that they were looking for a reason to dismiss you. Has the nursery occupancy dropped recently?

Your salary would represent quite a saving to the nursery.

It just seems odd to me to leave things so long since the alleged incident to dismiss you if it could be classed as ‘gross misconduct if any of my staff committed gross misconductthey would be dismissed immediately.

In the end I suppose what is classed as gross misconduct? your disciplinary policy should have examples of this.

Chin up

Julie :o

Edited by julie 12

Sorry to hear your news Dawn and I truly hope that you will be able to move forward from this into a better place --a place to work and people to work with. Whatever you did or didnt do you are paying highly now and I hope that in time you will be able to put it behind you, although it may always come back to haunt you at times when you least expect it. Get rid of those facebook contacts and take comfort from your family and friends. Talk to your doctor should you need other help.

Take care of yourself now, get some expert advice and if you are not already a union member please consider joining one.

Everyone should have a union membership in my opinion as you never know what allegations, false or otherwise will be thrown at you.

"Voice the Union" can support everyone in childcare, I think, as well as teachers and I can vouch for the excellent support they can provide from personal experience.

Thank you everyone for your advice, support and encouragment.

after only about two hours sleep last night i am absoloutly frazzled, hopefully tommorow i will feel more able to deal with things.

thank you

Dawn