Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Mat To Catch Spills

We currently use a piece of tarpaulin under our sand and water tray but it really is a trip hazard. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks

ppp

we dont put anything under ours, due to the trip / slip hazard -we thought it would be a greater hazard to have a mat underneath than not too, we have vinyl flooring -and keep a dustpan and brush with a bucket for the sand, and remind the children about sweeping up etc - and for water we dont put too much in the water tray, and keep plenty of floor cloths handy !

We've just started using shower mats around the water trough, the kind with suction pads underneath. It still doesn't stop the children spilling the water on the floor but it seems to help a bit. We also rely on newspapers to mop up.

We generally don't use anything around the sand tray. Just sweep it underneath when we see it.

there has been a previous thread on this... there is a mat that soaks up water...

Hmmm....I thought that too!

We were lucky enough to have the hugest roll of paper donated to us - we put that under our water - sounds daft but works well!

We have a plastic sheet under the sand tray.

Those 'special' mats for the water did sound good though.........

Ah just do a forum search I found it very quickly - just put in Water Mats and Bob's your uncle!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Hello,

we do not use anything under the sand, but we use a special bath mat, bought off the roll from Dunelm mill, its fantastic :(

soaks up all the water, then it dries over night or we hang it outside for an hour :(

comes in all different colours and designs, we currently have tropical fish xD

we also use this in the toilets in front of the sinks.

It sticks to the floor, so minimal trip hazard :o

Sherri

TTS have a permafresh mat which catches spills and water, it's about £55 I think.

I have a feeling Galt and other catalogues do it also.

Jackie.

hiya, we got tole by an ast that we had to have the permafresh mats but i thnk she said that so the head wold let us spend £110 on two mats ha, they are really good for the water tray though as it soaks right up and doesnt smell damp, im not thrilled with it in the sand area because its a nightmare to vac up for my poor long suffering cleaner x x x i got mine from tts too x

Thanks for all of your suggestions - although the mat I'm after would be used more for sand than water.

Our ground sheet really is a trip hazard but as we are in a village hall we need to keep the sand in one place. Do you think that a pice of vinyl/lino would be as much of a trip hazard as a ground sheet?

ppp

for sand we used that plastic wipe clean table cloth stuff... we bought it in Dunelm Mills... comes in loads of different finishes.. we had one with seashells on it... we could wash irt in the washing machine and it laid flat better than any other covers we tried.

also found some plastic picnic table cloths which were excellent under the paint easel... washed often but always seemed to lay flat, think it was because the edges were bound.

Inge

we use plastic sheeting (builders waterproof membrane) I dont think its any better than tarpaulin but we dont have much hassle with tripping hazards, when we have problems (new children not aware of the hazard) we have put chairs around the edge to box in the sand area so stop children wandering across the edge of the plastic as the children learn about the tripping hazard we reduce the chairs it doesnt take long to teach the children not to run across the sand area

are there other ways you could lay out the area to reduce of restrict the children crossing the edge of the mat?

Edited by Alison

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)