Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Request For Help

Hello,

I have been childminding for 15 years and am really upset and angry with the EYFS. I dont find paperwork easy but adore looking after children.

I have a visit on Friday from a local eyfs woman who wants to see my paperwork. To be honest i havent got any. Does anyone have anything they are willing to post here that can help me. its the observation and planning stuff thats really getting my goat. I just dont know where to start. i feel like giving up the children and heading to the tills at tesco, only 10% of the fun but so much easier than all this paperwork.

help please, I love these children but dont know where to turn to get ready for friday.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and even more thanks to those that can help me.

lesley

Sorry I do not know anything about how a childminder plans but just wanted to say that anyone with the passion and devotion that comes through as much as you will be fine. You probably know your children so well and know how they learn which is the most important. Is it an advisor who is visiting you if so she is there to hekp and advise you with the simplest way of doing things. Good luck

Hi Lesley,

I'm not a child minder but just wanted to say don't give up. You sound like you love your job so please don't let paper work put you off. I know quite a lot of the child minders round here go to Parent and Toddler groups and chat about things like planning. Do you have a group you could go to where you could meet other people in the same situation as yourself who may be able to help you with the planning and paperwork. Sorry I can't be more help, mrsW,x

Hi lesley........sorry can't help I'm not a childminder.........just wanted to welcome you to the forum....

Have you had a look in 'resources'?

Could you start very simple 'Learning Journey' folders for the children in your care?

Hopefully the 'advisor' will be supportive and give you some good ideas.

Don't head for Tescos.........far too many really good people being lost because of jolly paperwork.

Good luck

Sunnyday

Hi Lesley,

I am a childminder and I am known for being anti-paperwork.

I am rethinking my planning all the time to try to have as little duplication as possible.

I use daily activity sheets on which I record the areas of learning coveread and maybe a one sentance evaluation.

Daily_Retrospective_Planning_Sheet__blank_97.docx

I never do written planning in advance which saves alot of unnecessary paperwork and is fine with Ofsted.

I have learning journey's for each child which are basically a copy of development matters with a space for comments. After reading a thread on here I am thinking of ordering some preprinted labels which I can note little comments on and stick into the relevant part. Oh and I take lots of photos to put in too.

I think as childminders we usually know our children very well and I feel that we do not need to use much in the way of formal observations.

Good luck.

I hope you get a little more in support from this lady at some point.

Hello,

I have been childminding for 15 years and am really upset and angry with the EYFS. I dont find paperwork easy but adore looking after children.

I have a visit on Friday from a local eyfs woman who wants to see my paperwork. To be honest i havent got any. Does anyone have anything they are willing to post here that can help me. its the observation and planning stuff thats really getting my goat. I just dont know where to start. i feel like giving up the children and heading to the tills at tesco, only 10% of the fun but so much easier than all this paperwork.

help please, I love these children but dont know where to turn to get ready for friday.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and even more thanks to those that can help me.

lesley

Hi - you do a good job, don't feel fed - I am sure the lady when she comes on Friday will want to support you, there really is no point in creating paperwork for paperwork sake, your observations of your children will help you with activities you provide - a wonder if there is a childminding support group nearby who could help.

Best wishes for Friday Dot :o

Hi Lesley - you'll be fine!!

I'm with Upsy Daisy in the "play not paperwork" camp :o

I use her retrospective planning sheet but I used to just note in my diary what the day had brought, what we'd played with and how, and where the children's play had led. Ofsted were happy with this.

Each child has a daily diary that goes home noting where we've been, what we've done and the child's special interests for that day plus eating/sleeping/nap routines. I take photos regularly and put these in scrapbook-style Learning Journeys with SHORT notes linking them to EYFS. I also include Wow! moments (I downloaded/adapted some from Sparklebox) which the parents seem to love - early attempts at self-feeding, messy play etc

Hope you feel a bit more confident that you're not the only one bogged down by this aspect of EYFS!

Nona

Just wanted to add my support - I'm not a childminder so I can't help you out with paperwork and stuff. But I do think we need more childminders like you, not less. So please don't go and work for Tesco - hope the words of wisdom here give you confidence in your abilities and tell you that you're doing the right thing. Mrs EYFS woman will surely see that for herself!

Maz

...who is this EYFS woman anyway and why does she have to see your paperwork, as far as I am aware only Ofsted can do this; or if you are acredited and get free entitlement funding for 3 and 4 years old your Local Authority have a right to see your paperwork but only to ensure that the money is not used to prop up the care of younger children.

Don't worry even Ofsted inspectors can often be happy with minimal paperwork as long as you know your children. :o

hi,

She works for the local authority and manages the local childminders to ensure we all do what they want us to do. it gives a few people jobs ticking boxes I suppose.

She relly is a pain. I dont intend to do the optional EYFS stuff but only that needed for legislation. The children are more important to me than keeping box tickers happy. But she is still quite a pain, always trying to get us to work exactly how she wants. no doubt if we all do things the same it makes her life easier.

Anyway, i will do the minimum the law requires and thats it. The children come first not the paperwork.

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words.

Oh, Lesley, I have days like that too!

I get SOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated being told that things are "optional" (flipping SEF!) or "best practice" but then have it force-fed to me at every opportunity xD

My children are happy, their parents are happy and (when I'm not doing paperwork!) I'm happy and when Ofsted inspected THEY were happy - I JUST WANT TO ENJOY BEING WITH THE CHILDREN AND STOP WORRYING WHETHER I'M DOING THEIR LEARNING JOURNEY BOOK RIGHT :(

You caught me at a bad moment - can you tell? :o

Nona

whats your email addy mine is ************** ill send you what i do x

Edited by Guest
To remove email address - please use private messaging on the forum

some good advice i use to chilmind for 15 years yes my parents were more than happy with what i did so why all the paperwork. i now work at playgroup lots more paperwork. i would agree with the advice above make it simple but you need some evidence of what you are doing.

daily diarys and learning journals are excellent with loads of photos. this is your evidence that they are not spending all day in front of the tv. i use to have a diary where i wrote what we did each day. eg. am school run, picked up conkers on way home xxxxx really enjoyed this. went to supermarket bought fruit for snacks. xxxxxxxxxx cut up apples.

really simple then maybe a bit at bottom of page for evaluations and futher extensions.

I'm wondering too so do let us know Lesley.

I have a childminding friend who has just been Ofsted inspected and the whole thing was completely focussed on paperwork. The inspector didn't look round the house, watch her playing with the children or make any attempt to speak to parents as they picked up. She was very prescriptive about exactly how she wanted the children's learning tracked, the format of the learning journeys, etc.

This does not feel like a very positive sign for childminders. I hope my your phone call and friend's experience are not representative of the way things are going to go for childminding inspections in the future!

Upsey Daisy I can 2nd what you said about the Ofsted inspectors only being interested in paper work. I had mine last week she sat down with her lap top and asked for my folders, evidence, policies, learnig journeys etc then sat there for the whole moring!! She didn't come through to the kitchen dinner when we had morning snack or lunch nor did she accopany us in the garden, she was sitting near the window so said she could watch!! She didn't ask what room I use or look arond the house just walked down hall way ans sat in play room!!

She was very hot on risk assesments and really liked the format I used for the ones on outings (thanks to who ever posted the orginal & I adapted sightly) but said a tick sheet house risk assesment of things I check either daily, weekly, monthly, quaterly or yearly was not enough to meet the legal requirment so I got an ation for it!! My local CDW from NCMA said some of her Network lady's are not as good as mine so says I should possibly challenge it. I'll have to wait and see what the report says!

She was very hot on risk assesments and really liked the format I used for the ones on outings (thanks to who ever posted the orginal & I adapted sightly) but said a tick sheet house risk assesment of things I check either daily, weekly, monthly, quaterly or yearly was not enough to meet the legal requirment so I got an ation for it!! My local CDW from NCMA said some of her Network lady's are not as good as mine so says I should possibly challenge it. I'll have to wait and see what the report says!

I would be really interested to hear what she told you is required for risk assessments. I currently do one per year for the whole house, one per year for shopping trips, etc. I don't do a full risk assessment for each activity. I wonder whether that would be considered satisfactory?

Not had report yet but she basically said a big no no to tick sheets, the weekly one I have 5 of on a laminated sheet so are wiped clean each month and started again.It should apparently be signed and dated and then a date when you will next do it, if any thing is not safe then write what you did and the date of when you righted it. So you can just put a broken toy in the bin we now have to write it down too! More paper work!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)