Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aaaaaarrrrrgh

Help....this is going to be complicated to explain and I don't know why I am posting really but this may be of use for me.....bear with me...I am about to start as Floor manager at a setting..my job description involves planning and structuring the observation, planning evaluation cycle and guiding staff through a system that works (they didn't have one before).

Ok so the setting has a Nursery Manager who is now devotin her time to more administrative aspects - they have got me as she could never quite get to terms with the EYFS and the obseravtion and all that is involved with that...plus no existing members of staff wanted to take on this role.......obviously I will endeavour to involve the team in the whole process...my problem is that I have met with the manager several times and aaaarrrrgggghhh she keeps telling me how to do it all...I know how it should be done and have been taken on to do it in my qualified status...she seems, however reluctant to comply albeit welcomign the opportunity for me to take it all on.

I think the main stumbling block I have is that when I say/suggest how the system will work she immediately contests it and offers her opinions ...for instance...I am proposing that we have individual files to record child records in (small plastic wallets - similar to what I have used in the past) as opposed to the file they have now with all key worker children in one file divided in to sections......to me this is how I should like it to be stored for ease of access, for individual confidentiality etc but when I suggested it she says No i don't think so...and tells me lots of reasons of how her system works...I guess my point is I am being stopped from carrying out what they have employed me to do? I need to speak to the committee chair who has previously told me that I can run with my ideas and have autonomony in the planning area of the nursery....it is so frustrating as everything I suggest is questioned..........I feel as if I am being managed by the Admin manager although I am supposed to be answerable to the Chair?

Also I think I mentioned before that she has certain principles that she wants used: if a child gets anything out to use they have to pack it away before moving on to the next thing....I suggested that this may interrupt their play...am I wrong? I realise that children need to respect the resources and if they are tipping stuff up wildly then they need to be asked to tidy up but ....really everything they touch?

Anyway I have typed and typed and feel a little better but still daunted about the new position......I have spent time laminating and preparing a birthday timeline to be told that she doesn't like too much stuff on the walls.....I feel our job descriptions are confused ...when we went through them with the committee it was fine but in reality they are confused.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Just wanted to send you a virtual hug and say I am thinking of you and hope that you can get some clarity soon. I guess the first thing to do would be to suggest that you both meet with the committee chair and talk about your job descriptions again. You could ask to do this just so you clarify everything now rather than wait until the problems escalate.

Not sure what else I can advise at the moment but will have a think and come back later if I get further ideas.

Please remember you are not on your own and that is one of the fantastic things about this forum, we are here for each other through everything.

Take care

Nicky Sussex :o

Thank you a hug is just what I needed having spent all yesterday laminating and preparing...I am close to tears after our meeting today at the setting.....thanks so much.

I feel for you, i had this when i first started at my current setting, the manager did not want to change anything at all, none of the girls would do anything without consulting her and the answer to almost everything was no! eventually we had to sit down and have a discussion which was a bit heated for us both to understand how we were rubbing each other up the wrong way, however then we were able to begin to work together.

good luck

I agree a chat with the chair and then the manager seems to be a good way to approach it. I am renowned for changing things and upsetting people, and it has taken a long time for me to get over it. However, you have been specifically taken on for that role and instead of fighting against you, the manager should be willing to listen. If he/she didn't want to take on the responsibility, it seems a bit rich to start laying down the law. A bit "have your cake and eat it".

I think the only way you and the manager are going to see where the other is coming from is to sit down and discuss it, along with the chair because then the manager can't say to you, "I expect/want this" if it is not within the requirements of your job description.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

I agree with the meeting. Personally, I would go into a meeting armed with the full story of what I wanted to do with regard to keeping records. A view of the observation, assessment planning cycle, so in effect, a "mock up" of the system you want to employ. Show them the way the records could look if it were done your way, how it all ties together. Be ready for "ifs and buts" from the Admin Manager - you already must know what she might say. You need to be able to say "it will work better this way because........." "this will impact on the staff in a positive way because......., there fore the parents and children will benefit because...... you get my drift. Prepare well for the meeting and it will go well for you I'm sure.

sounds like she really doesn't want to let go, despite not wanting to take on the planning role..and having been in the role for a while and you are being seen as someone who wants to change all her previous hard work .

I would suggest a sit down and chat as to what your roles actually are, and any changes you want to be made should be tried and perhaps given a 3 month trial period before getting all together to discuss if it had worked for them, how they would / feel it could be improved to make it workable.

I do ask why she does not want too much on the walls, (I always remember when we had one ofsted where she said we had not enough on the walls and where was the childrens work displayed etc etc... but it was 5 days before end of term so children had taken it all home! she did not understand it at all!)

i would want an explanation on why, you dont say if pack away setting, but if so is it jsut too much to put up and take down every day?

You need to become very good at discussing and explaining your own reasons, as well as everytime someone comes up with a negative, work out a positive so you can implement it.. I would always find a way around others crys of "we cannot do that because.." with "but if we do this we can... and I want to try it out please.. "

take time and make changes slowly one at a time, it took me a year to get my well established staff who knew me to change to non topic planning and go with the flow stuff.. but with small changes in short steps I did do it..

we too did not worry about the tidying as you go, as you say stops flow of play and ideas... that is one battle you may have to slowly change..

Inge

big hugs hun - i agree with what everyone else has said - talk to your chair and sort your roles - and i cant believe she wont have things on the walls!!!!!!! :o

Chin up hun im sure it will sort itself out once everyone knows where they stand xD

shirel: been there, done that and tore the t-shirt to shreds!

I agree with what Inge said about being ready to explain the whys and wherefores of what you want to do, but I'd also add that another helpful tactic which works for me. When she makes a statement or a suggestion you don't agree with, ask her a non-threatening question that designed to get her to justify what she has said. That way you'll be valuing her opinion, but also if she has just made a knee-jerk reaction to something you've done or suggested, it will become clear very quickly because she won't be able to back up what she has said.

I encourage my staff to ask me the 'why' question because it makes me think about why I've said something when I'm tempted to go into "we've tried that and it'll never work" mode. It is very effective in making me stop and really think!

Good luck - try to keep smiling, keep the communicaiton channels open and be your lovely self. I'm sure you'll win her round.

Maz

Hmmmm (need a thinking smiley :o ),

I agree communication is essential, including another meeting to clarify roles. I don't however think that it should be necessary for you to 'justify' or 'sell' every idea that you want to impliment. In the long run if you do this it will wear you down and possibly decrease your confidence in your own hard earned knowledge and expertise. This hard earned knowledge and expertise is what you have been employed for and are paid for, including the responsibility to impliment required changes and the responsibility to make right anything that doesn't work. To do this, I agree needs team work. Justifying yourself to individuals who are not your employer is not my idea of team work, your fellow colleagues (team members) should respect your position and work with you. Easy words to write, and yes change can be difficult for some people, however if the employers (chairperson/committee) explain this 'working attitude' and ensure it is made clear to all, this should give the team a clear understanding of how the 'new' team working model is and effectively what the 'starting point' is. It is the attitude towards you that is important the team need to understand that you are the change maker, managing various 'projects' towards overall improvements.

In a sense what I'm saying is that in this scenario respect is 'commanded', not demanded or earnt but commanded due to your employed position in the team.

Ask the Nursery manager if she would expect to 'justify' her budgeting, invoice layouts, etc etc to you, no of course she wouldn't.

I personally like the phrase, 'It's my prerogative', have this in mind before you enter the setting each morning and practice communicating assertively before you go into work. (in the mirror for example) xD

Yes, you may face some resistance to change but people like to know where they stand and the sooner they do the quicker teams will build and progress will be made. Maybe think of yourself as a tutor, or 'project manager', an enabler, and of course a leader. Find some small changes that this Nursery Manager can get busy with, leaving you to do what you need to do.

Maybe one of your first changes would be to have clear communication channels, ie: Ideas will be presented at staff meetings ( for discussion or information-make clear the difference between these two aspects), not discussed ad hoc.

Focus any discussions more on goals and visions rather than the nitty gritty of it all, ie: My aim is to develop the observation, assessment and planning cycle to further develop our knowledge of individual children and meet their progressive needs, I envisage this will take one term to introsude and impliment, we will review it in ....., then you 'direct' individuals on how you want particular aspects of the 'project' implimented, obviously with support from you where needed.

Attitude I think is the key here, get this right, your attitude of self will be projected onto others, and their attitude towards you cannot change until they can base them on clear definitions of what your role and responsibilities are. Communication will be affected by attitude so this needs to be addressed before communication can become more successful. Confused attitude (and expectations) are barriers to good communication, to 'hearing' what you are saying and understanding it in the correct context of each others roles and responsibilities.

Are these meetings prior to term starting in September, or are you working together now? If the former then maybe also keep in mind that when ideas are 'seen in practice' then they are easier to envisage than from dialogue or reading about.

A BIG HUG FROM ME TOO.

Take a DEEEEP breath, chin up, and you'll be sorted, ok.

Peggy

p.s. Definition of prerogative - a 'privilege', a 'right', a 'due'

WOW...thank you Peggy I found myself nodding and mmmin and aaahin at your message...I have copied and pasted your words to re-read and use as a focus.....can't tell you how grateful I am....you are right my confidence was soaring and then beginning to diminish with every knock-back......thanks again.... :oxD:(:(

WOW...thank you Peggy I found myself nodding and mmmin and aaahin at your message...I have copied and pasted your words to re-read and use as a focus.....can't tell you how grateful I am....you are right my confidence was soaring and then beginning to diminish with every knock-back......thanks again.... xD:(:(:(

Your welcome. :o

Peggy

Just to give you all an update (and a again for therapy)...

I have met with the committee and the other manager and discussions have been a little heated...it would seem the other manager is not happy with my autonomony over the areas of my job description (bear in mind we sat together and divided up the Manager's position - together and amicably to ensure we both had clarity of what our roles are)...she has taken a u-turn slightly...the committee are 100% supporting my role and have said it is my classroom and with all due respect that is why I have been given the position to set up a more up-to-date system of planning, observation, assessment also they have said I am answerable to the committee...this really did rock the boat...the Admin Manager wanted me to be answerable to her and in effect my manager (ha, ha therin lies the problem-power?)

....it is very frustrating and worrying as I meet with staff today alongside the Admin Manager to explain to them our roles to ensure they know what is going on...only I envisage a difficult conversation as I am aware of the unrest.....I have said that the last thing staff want is any unprofessional unrest as they are already having hours cut and a new member of staff,...both being a sensitive situations...but I fear that things will be said in front of staff if I am not firm about my position my plan is to remian professional and read Peggys advice prior to the meeting!

......aaaarrrggghhh again!

Well wish me luck, I am well prepared and trying to be positive.....I love my job and I guess this is part and parcel of it - trouble is I love the 'children' bit of the job.....bloody adults hey! :(:oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)