Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Did I Really Sign Up For This?

Rea

I've worked with committees for around 8 years, so I am usually able to see the need when people want to rant about them. But boy oh boy, now the shoe is firmly on the other foot and I see things from a completly different angle.

Over the past few days I have sorted through 4 boxes of paperwork given to me by the last chair and treasure, some good to keep, some is in the bin, and some is missing.

Our committee now consists of myself and the secretary so I've drafted a letter to give out at the very start of term expressing my regret that I will have to close the playgroup if no-one signs up with us.

I am trying to work out a budget with not even any idea of the current state of the bank balance because the treasurer is on holiday and only sent some receipts and old invoice books round for me. At the same time as this I'm drawing up registers of new children, phoning prosective parents, booking the church hall, writing out invoices for the fee payers and working out the sessions each funded child attends ready for the day the council ask me for the numbers.

I'm thinking of getting a book-keeper or administrator to help out. How much would we be expected to pay? Its not something I've ever thought about before but a few numbers might give us something to think about. Before my head explodes :o

Oh Rea, poor you!

It goes without saying that they're incredibly lucky to have a Chair with such knowledge and experience. Hopefully the letter will do the trick and you'll get some committed members on board.

As for the book-keeper I don't know how much it would cost - but it sounds as if it would be money well spent, if your group can afford it!

Chin up, hopefully you'll get your reward before heaven!

Maz

Hi Rea,

Try this site:

http://www.reed.co.uk/CareerTools/SalaryCa...;jt=0&lp=10

I think it lists about 17k for a bookkeeper around Birmingham. Sounds a bit high though, I guess it really depends on the complexity of the job. If it's mostly admin duties, you could probably get away with less.

Regards

Mark

http://earlychildcare.wordpress.com/

I've worked with committees for around 8 years, so I am usually able to see the need when people want to rant about them. But boy oh boy, now the shoe is firmly on the other foot and I see things from a completly different angle.

Over the past few days I have sorted through 4 boxes of paperwork given to me by the last chair and treasure, some good to keep, some is in the bin, and some is missing.

Our committee now consists of myself and the secretary so I've drafted a letter to give out at the very start of term expressing my regret that I will have to close the playgroup if no-one signs up with us.

I am trying to work out a budget with not even any idea of the current state of the bank balance because the treasurer is on holiday and only sent some receipts and old invoice books round for me. At the same time as this I'm drawing up registers of new children, phoning prosective parents, booking the church hall, writing out invoices for the fee payers and working out the sessions each funded child attends ready for the day the council ask me for the numbers.

I'm thinking of getting a book-keeper or administrator to help out. How much would we be expected to pay? Its not something I've ever thought about before but a few numbers might give us something to think about. Before my head explodes :o

I feel for you,

It always seems to be the way that one ends up with all of it and has to sort out previous issues...luckily you have enough knowledge to know what to do.. I always imagine how a committee member who has none copes , which is why it always ends up in a mess.

Admin and/or book keeper is the best way to go these days..

I used to be paid to do the jobs, which worked well for us, I was paid at a deputy rate of pay for it.. as they did not want me to be underpaid.

Currently they have a book keeper who charges a set amount each week... not sure how much but it is nominal.

think you need to look at wages currently paid to other staff.. I would be miffed if the book keeper was earning more than I was running the group or even as deputy.. then look at amount you could realistically afford.. and then how long you expect them to work each week, just have to make sure not under minimum wage, and then holiday pay to think of..

Ok not much help on how much.. but a good idea..

Inge

Rea that sounds awful. I can't imagine how much use I would(n't) be in your situation.

Could you maybe enlist the help of a parent for a nominal fee for keeping the books or is that not the done thing? I'm just thinking if it is a stay at home parent, they might be grateful for the opportunity to earn a bit of extra money without breaking your bank balance in the process?

Poor you - an administrator is essential. It really helps with the continuity and ensure all paper work is completed. It would help recruit new committee members too. (All mums are busy and many if faced with a huge pile of paper work if they volunteer will run a mile).

My committee make all the decisions, but all paper work done for them - even the budget is based on past years and they just have to agree any new expenditure etc.... It may seem painful at the mo, but you will get there.

Big hugs and kisses and make friends with a shredder.Buy a filing cabinet for pre-school - paper work needs to be on premises (we had a dodgy Ofsted years ago. As inspector could not see bits and Chair person was at Dentist all day). Also if you can afford it buy a laptop for admin/ committee so everything is saved and passed on.

Good luck

i agree , you need an administrator. they will be able to take alot of the paperwork off your shoulders, and hopefully this will encourage more parents to sigh onto the commitee as the paperwork can seem really daunting.

even if you employed someone for a couple of hours a week, you will be surprised how much they will be able to do.

im not sure how many staff you have -but it may be worthwhile to see if a local accountancy company would be able to do your wages for you -wages can be a pain to do and difficult to get right if you dont know what you are doing esp end of year !!

Thats good money for a book keeper and far too much for us, our combined wages bill is just over that for 4 staff! I might leave this and sign on at the local college.

Thanks everyone, I've sat and stared at the TV for the last 2 hours so I now feel refreshed, or at least my heads stopped spinning.

You've given me some ideas to think about. I certainly hadnt given any thought to exactly what I'd got that could be left at playgroup, Mrs O hasnt been on my radar for a while, oh joy, she's back :(

A laptop with all this stuff would cut down on the space I need, (thinking of hubby's disgruntled face when the 4 boxes arrived :(

A couple of hours a week would be just right I think, or even a monthly. I dont mind doing it, (I s'ppose) but its knowing where to start.

You're right Inge, I think I'd let my head explode if I was someone with no backgound in all of this.

On a positive point though, as the chair and half of the committee I guess it shouldnt be too difficult to make a decision so thats a bit of a bonus really. Better than having the world and his dog having an opinion.

:o

Right then, food for thought has left me feeling more positive. Thank you xD

Edited by Rea

oh rea, good luck with it all, i was in your position a few years back... but as manager with no active committee and no administrator, things are different now. i have an administrator who i pay £6 per hr for 10 hrs a week, she does the wages, waiting list, registers, invoices, and accounts which leaves me with the general running of the group, policies, planning etc.. it has made a difference to the work load, my administrator enjoys it as she can work from home and fit it around her children, we did invest in the sage package for her to do the wages online..... Good Luck - hope it all works out....

Hi Rea

Poor you. We had this trouble but, I advertised for a admin person last year. £6.50 an hour 3 hours a week. got a few replies and now employ an older generation person to do the paperwork. Shes fab and cheep.

Kat

Oh dear me what a load you have taken on- my committee make all hte decissons but do no paperwork as myself (mainly) and deputy do it all. Why are you doing the registers, surely this should be Leader.Managers job? We do employ a bookkeeper now. The workload for the Treasurer had just become too much-also money and keeping accounts are the one thing I flatly refuse (useless at it) to do apart. from invoices.Sorrty keep digressing- we pay her £12 an hour and she bills us as and when. She does the wages, paye, accounts, budget forecasts etc. Literally all our Treasuruer does now is to bank th emoney and pay bills.Some months there is very little for her to do as our wages are paid via SO and if no overtime or accounting to see to that month then she charges us for a coupke of hours, obviously end of financial year etc i becomes 3/.4 hours a month. £12 per hour is more then any of us staff are paid, but to be honest I cant see we would have got a trained bookeeper to do the work even for my wages (£10.50) I'd love to emploiy an admin worker and would willingly drop a couole of pounds an hour to finance it but cant see that would work really!!

Good luck I hope your staff and parents appreciate you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)