Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Nursery Building

Guest colechin

Guest colechin

I wonder if anyone out there could help me.

I have just been given a copy of a proposed new building for the Nursery. It will be nearly twice as big as the current one we are in.

What I need is help with the zones and what should be inside. The floor area is 92.7 m2. I am positive that this includes the kitchen, office, lobby and toilet areas. We are working on 26 children attending.

Has anyone gone through the process of designing the internal layout of a new Nursery and if so would you be able to help me with plans? I have been informed that they need to have the information from me by 11th Sept and I am going on holiday this Saturday!!!!

The building is from Portakabin and is from their Titan TN124 building system if that helps anyone.

Thank you

Guest colechin

Lots and lots of fundraising and also a healthy demand for the nursery. We are also apply for a grant.

I have looked at their website and there isn't much there. Even if I receive photographs of indoor layouts that would help. I just don't want to miss anything out and regret it later.

XX

you would need to get the basics in first - do you know where the toilets and kitchen are going to be and how big they are ? this will be based on the plumbing /drains etc that are available, and how many children you have.

dont forget the diabled loo and staff loo / staff room

what about a craft sink too -as this again will need plumbing in a certain area -then you can base your paint / messy area there.

then where your entrance is going to be - how big will you need it to accomodate the childrens coats and bags etc , will they have lockers or drawers etc- do you want it large enough for the parents to wait in whilst they drop off /pick up.

where are the entrances / fire exits and windows -as you wouldnt want to block them with anything.

once all the 'essentials' are in place then you will be able to see what space you have left to play with.

in my settting all the 'essentials' are placed around the edge of the building -leaving a large open plan are in the middle -which we can section off if needed with furniture or partitions.

again it depends on how big your portacabin is -im totally useless with sizes so have no idea how big your is !! :o

is it one big space or will the main 'playroom' be partioned off ?

you can do this through community playthings - i dont know how it works but try their website

Here's the link to the part of their site where you can dowload a pdf or request a CD-Rom about room planning and how room layout can improve the effectiveness of settings.

Maz

We moved into a new building last year. It was fab to be able to plan and buy new furniture etc. Have to say that almost a year and a half later, we are still changing things and finding things we hadn't thought of - sort of work in progress. I'm sure yours will come together and you'll have great fun (and quite a lot of stress) doing it. Enjoy!

Guest colechin

Thank you for your replies. Rolymo - They are asking me to inform them about the position of the toilets, kitchen, office and wet play area. Which I think I know were to put these.

I have spoken to ofsted today and they inform me that adults/staff do not have to have a separate toilet and that we can use the diabled toilet as long as a risk assessment has been carried out. I was suprised to hear this, could anyone confirm this?

We are also going to have a flat roof as it is a portacabin and the chair would like solar panels. I have also requested instead of having stri lights, could we not have a clear dome on the roof to allow natural light thru. Does anyone have any special lighting in their Nurseries?

Lucky you - sounds great!

Just a 'note' on 'strip lights' - the electrician who takes care of such things at our village hall commented a while back that they will be gradually 'phased out' and that we won't be able to buy replacement tubes when this happens - think this was linked to the disposal of them - not sure - wasn't the most interesting conversation :o - but anyway just something to think about!

Good luck with it all

Sunnyday

I have spoken to ofsted today and they inform me that adults/staff do not have to have a separate toilet and that we can use the diabled toilet as long as a risk assessment has been carried out. I was suprised to hear this, could anyone confirm this?

We have 1 adult toilet which is also our disabled toilet. We have a cleaning cupboard in here too as well as shelves for cleaning stuff.

We are also going to have a flat roof as it is a portacabin and the chair would like solar panels. I have also requested instead of having stri lights, could we not have a clear dome on the roof to allow natural light thru. Does anyone have any special lighting in their Nurseries?

We have windows all the way around the outfacing wall both child height and adult height as well as velux windows (so lots of natural light) and we still need the strip lighting most days.

Edited by sam2368

Our purpose built nursery is 3 year old but not a portacabin.We have light tunnels in a circle in the roof of our north facing nursery. The light varies a great deal but aleast its stable on a dull/sunny day. It's bright sunshine with moving clouds that are a problem as the room can suddenly be plunged into twilight when a cloud passes over xD It took a while to gat used to as everyone stopped and looked around to see who'd switched the lights off.Staff are now used to it and children quickly become accustomed but vistors faces can look bewildered. They do however make you feel more intune with the outside.

Our staff toilet is the disabled toilet.

I would be looking at easy access to outside play area-our door is toooooooo heavy for children . Your view from and to key areas-cloakroom, toilets, messy areas, kitchen.Height of windows when open!!! Our windows open outward at child eye height onto the outdoor area :( so we can't open many in warm weather.Internal and external store rooms. Lots of your internal division can be achieved with furniture so just look at your hard flooring/carpet areas. Ours was done 50/50 in S shape which makes room layout tricky but its very asthetic :o Wish we had a straight carpet and more hard flooring.

Keep it all in prospective-even with the best planning some things won't work, some simple things will be over looked and there will be happy accidents! even van gogh was never happy with his work. I don't think anyone ever designs a build and is TOTALLY happy with it and no-one has produced a perfect nursery (although McMillan came pretty close)

Edited by Guest

Guest colechin

Thank you for all your replies. I am picking up lots of ideas from them. Please keep them flowing.

Much, much, much appreciated.

xxxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)