Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Circle Time

I was just wondering if anyone plans " circle time" sessions each day??

The staff seem to do the same thing all the time and was thinking whether to plan for these each week...or is it to much planning??

Any example formats would be much appreciated!!!!x

we generally have a circle and songtime at the end of every session. It helps children to understand the routine of their time with us - ie, 'after this Mummy will be here'.

We don't always do the same thing, sometimes we chat about what we've been doing and what we'd like to do tomorrow, or look at pictures of someone's new baby or whatever, but we always end circle with songs.

Admittedly, sometimes time runs away with us and parents are upon us before we've noticed the time, so then we have to miss it, but children always notice!

Why don't you like doing it every day?

Oh we do do it everyday...prob about 15-20 mins in the mornings!

We have a certain song we sing and things we do but i was just wondering whether to introduce some sort of plan to it, so everyday the staff can look and see what to talk about or what game to play etc!!

( I manage a day nursery so it can be different staff doing these sessions everyday depending on shifts etc)

I was just wondering if anyone plans " circle time" sessions each day??

The staff seem to do the same thing all the time and was thinking whether to plan for these each week...or is it to much planning??

Any example formats would be much appreciated!!!!x

i'll b watching this thread with interest i have been thinking the same of getting some kind of format to show what we cover in these sessions.

samfrostie :o

(30 place maintained nursery) We have 2 planned circle times.One at each end of the session. The first is after 15-30mins when everyone is we expect to arrive is in/parents have left. This one is in keyperson groups to discuss the day-what day-weather-what is available-news-look at learning wall and tends to follow a routine. The second at the end of the day is more planned. We try to do an activitiy for various areas of development usually coming from observations from the week before. This can be everyone together or keyperson groups or target groups. The focus of the second one is on our weekly planning.

We are similar to Cait, as in the stories and songs relate to anything that may be going on, learning walls, news etc. We like a mixture of the children being sat still listening or getting really involved and moving about etc. as 15-20mins sat for a whole group is a bit long for such young children of diverse needs and ages.

I like to think of circle time at our pre-school as a chance to give the children experience of sitting still, getting used to the fact that not everything is about them, sometimes they must sit a listen to other children or adults, just getting them used to a more formal circle time at school.

Our circle time therefore, is a mixture of things, not the same every day, but certain elements will generally be included, finishing with a prayer and a goodbye song. I generally have a list of games we can choose to play, songs to sing etc. so that I don't have to "think" too much at the time.

Edited by Panders

I have always made a distinction between key group time and circle time, and both should be planned for. I do think some key group times should be spontaneous so that it is possible to bring up something following the children's interests, but particular stories for CLL, activities for PSRN, Letters and Sounds and a music session, for example, do need to be planned for. I have only ever done circle time once each week, and have planned this, as this is when children can tackle issues, thoughts and feelings. There is an interesting reflection on circle time here.

http://www.tactyc.org.uk/pdfs/Reflection_Selleck.pdf

We use 'Island time' in our baby room.

There is perhaps some disparity between how people perceive 'circle time'. In the true PSHE sense, circle time is an opportunity for children to share feelings and any worries or issues they may have, and in our school it is the responsibility of the RE co-ordinator to plan.

In the Preschool, however, 'circle time' is just that point in the session where children happen to sit in a circle for a variety of reasons, Key Time, Story, Songtime, Show and Tell etc. Is this the same for all preschools?

Cait that is how we 'see' a circle time. As a whole group time to sing songs, tell news show & tell etc . I think most groups are like this (playgroups) Many years ago (more then I care to remember) all the chidren 25 30 used to sit in a circle on chairs (always had at least one fell off) drinking milk from 1/3 pint glass bottles & having one biscuit, with 2 staff & 2 rota parents mixed in amongst them drinking tea/coffee. Then we would sing songs etc. Ridiculous really as it used to take ages getting this circle set up and all the children sat down and settled.

In the Preschool, however, 'circle time' is just that point in the session where children happen to sit in a circle for a variety of reasons, Key Time, Story, Songtime, Show and Tell etc. Is this the same for all preschools?

Yes - same for us Cait - and I have to say I love 'circle-time'! :o

Yes - same for us Cait - and I have to say I love 'circle-time'! :o

I agree with this as well alough I still plan for different sessions.

killowengirl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)