Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Incident Form

spiceye

Hi Guys,

I am re designing my accident/medicine forms etc so I can keep them in children individual folders. I currently have a book for any injuries/marks that children come into nursery with.

However, I would like a separate form for this, has anyone got a sample they would be willing to share?

Thanks

I am also re-designing (or trying to) these, previously we have used triplicate booklets, where 1 form which is signed goes to the parent, 1 form is kept in childs record and the other is filed in our records. These often fall out, get lost or end up in a complete mess, so I am looking at alternatives since W H Smiths no longer stock such things. I don't really like the one that the PSLA do, so I'm now off to Staples to see what I can find. Will keep you posted and look forward to any other replies.

thanks

Debbie

That's fab Cait- thanks! It wasn't even something I was considering but looking at it it seems really useful. x

thanks cait that is excellent, I hope you don't mind but I have down loaded this. What do you do for accidents and incidents?

How do you keep this form? Do you have it in child's folder? Copied to the parents?

Thanks for this fab idea.

Debbie

We have it in a 'slippy pocket' book thingy (you know the type) blank ones on the top for confidentiality, filled in and filed in the pages behind with all ones pertaining to a child in the same pocket so we can see if there's a pattern or even just a lot!

If parents want a copy we can do that, but no-one has taken us up on it yet.

We currently use the PSLA book for accidents that happen when children are with us, as there's loads of other useful info in there, plus it complies with regulations (although we find that drawing a picture of the accident area is a trial - might do photo and stick in instead)

Just a thought on 'accident books' - I once had my wrist slapped by Ofsted for having accident record where pages could be removed (not that any had been!) - does that make sense?

In other words - needs to be 'bound' and pages numbered.

Mind you that was pre EYFS and......as we all know they don't all 'sing from the same hymn sheet'!!! :o

Sunnyday

I once had mine slapped for having a different child's accident on a previous page as a parent could have turned the page when signing and breached confidentiality. sigh

Hi, felt I couldnt download caits form without saying thanks, it looks really useful. I assume that this form can go in the childs personal file as it hasnt involved anyone else in pre-school and the parent has signed it so is fully aware of the form being filled in.

We have the same as cait, a psla accident book to record accidents individually and in a book with no loose pages. I know what you mean about drawing a picture, we sometimes dont fill this section in if the accident is self explanitory.

We have an incident book, again hard backed, no loose pages, separate page for each incident.

Annabell

Hi Annabell - I keep my 'existing injury' forms in a file (for that purpose) in that way you couldn't 'overlook' the fact if one child was arriving consistently with injuries.....does that make any sense?

Sunnyday

Hi, felt I couldnt download caits form without saying thanks, it looks really useful. I assume that this form can go in the childs personal file as it hasnt involved anyone else in pre-school and the parent has signed it so is fully aware of the form being filled in.

We have the same as cait, a psla accident book to record accidents individually and in a book with no loose pages. I know what you mean about drawing a picture, we sometimes dont fill this section in if the accident is self explanitory.

We have an incident book, again hard backed, no loose pages, separate page for each incident.

Annabell

I guess it depends where the child's file is kept - ours are in their trays so theoretically available for anyone to get out, so our forms are kept in the locked cupboard

I guess it depends where the child's file is kept - ours are in their trays so theoretically available for anyone to get out, so our forms are kept in the locked cupboard

Yes, it does depend on where they are kept. I wouldnt leave them out for all to access. Our childrens learning journeys are kept in a filing cabinate which is locked and only staff have access. Would put the form next to the parent page.

Thanks sunnyday for your comment, yes it does make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Alis2son... that is quite similar to ours :( .

Cait... thanks for sharing :( ! We keep record of accidents in school, but have not done so for injuries from home. I wonder if all parents would co-operate with giving this information because they might think one is checking if the child is being mistreated :o ?

Melthammum... great document. I have just forwarded it to the person in our Administration Team in charge of this aspect. Lots of good forms starting from page 45 xD .

Thank you for all the useful comments on this thread. We use PLA accident book which so far everyone seems to be happy with. We don't have an existing injuries form but I might pinch the one from this thread if you don't mind! My question is about an incident record. According to one of our advisors we need one to record incidents. Now as she described "an incident" we would be writing all day!, so can you give me an idea of what you class "an incident" and how/where do you record it?

Thank you

Generally, I record incidents like when one child hurts another - we would record the incident in the Incident Book, and speak to parent and get them to sign the book. We would record the injury of the other child in the Accident Book and get the other parent to sign that.

Thankfully we don't have too many incidents like the above, I think I would probably record "paddies" as well, if a child went into a complete strop, I would describe what happened immediately beforehand and what we did as a result of the strop, how we dealt with the child etc. how long they took to calm down.

Edited by Panders

Thanks. I think that is what she was getting at. How serious does the incident have to be for you to record it? Say there was an incident where staff intervened and moved a child away from the situation, but no one was actually hurt, would that be recorded? And do you have a pro forma for recording it?

The reason I ask is that the advisor seemed to imply we ought to record everything that wasn't rosy in the garden. As we are dealing with 2, 3 and 4 year olds we could be minuting the whole day some days! Many of the incidents aren't reported to parents as they are low key and for some children they would result in having the negative behaviour reinforced by the attention they would receive from parents. Does that make sense?

Hi Holly,

I only record the incident if the other child is harmed in any way, so there needs to be a definite mark made.

I agree, to record everything going on would be impossible - where do these people get these ideas from? I treat minor incidents as just that - it's all part of a child learning acceptable behaviour and what is not acceptable behaviour that's part and parcel of our job.

I think if we report every tiny incident to parents, its like tattle tailing to me, we don't want parents dreading picking up time (the"oh dear what's she/he done today?" type of scenario) - no one's child is perfect - I would only mention minor incidents if there was a lot of them coming from one child and try to get to the bottom of what may be causing them to be so negative.

The pro forma I use for this in the incident book is very similar to that of the accident book, i.e. 'accident' becomes incident, date, time, what happened, witnessed by, name of child involved (only initials used throughout) consequences, parental signature

Thanks for that. Sometimes these advisors can get you doubting the obvious. It has come out as part of the EYQISP audit (I think) and they are returning in September to finish us off - literally if it carries on like this! I would like to have everything straight so they can see we are already making progress and I can only think it will be good practice for Ofsted too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)