Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Address Parents As Doctors

I don't want to come over as being a complete numpty, but.....

I am posting the learning journeys to parents with a short letter, and I have two sets of parents who are both doctors.

So do I start the letter with - Dear Drs Smith and Smith, Dear Drs Smith, or shall I play safe and write Dear parents?

Can't even remember their christian names to use their initials as that information is at school, and I don't really want to

start with Dear parents as I find that a bit impersonal on the letter that I'm writing.

Sorry to be a bit bim, must be the weather, again :o

Many thanks,

Jackie.

It depends on how well you know them and what sort of relationship you've had. Although if you can't remember their names it suggests it's been a more formal relationship than using first names would support in any case.

If you generally refer to them as Dr Smith then it would be Drs Smith and Smith

You could always address it Dear Dr Smith2 ? :o

That''s what I was going to suggest if she has a relaxed relationship with them, Steve

Edited by Cait

Interestingly I have a pair of parents- both Dr's.......... I only ever address them as Mr and Mrs.

They have never formally indroduced themselves as Drs, although I did once comment on this to them after seeing their names on a cheque- and they told me (in a nice way!!) that they are Dr's in their professional life, in family life they are just plain Mr + Mrs......or even ****s mum and dad!!!

Don't know how to do the quote bit, but I do have a very relaxed relationship with them, but there are times when things need to be a little more formal. In fact they both tell me to call them by their first name but I'm blowed if I can remember hers. Well we have been on holiday for 2 weeks!

jackie.

well can you text someone else at work who might remember? I find it hard to remember peoples names and have been known to look at a registration form halfway though the year for something else and say 'oh, Elaine? I didn't know that now' As the boss I should know these things, but just remembering 34 children's names is sometimes a trial, and the parents of my 10 key children plus associated aunts, grans etc!

but this year should be easier with children, I have 3 Harveys and a Harley and two Evie's and an Aoife, so all the girls will be called Evie and all the boys Harvey, Simples!!

oh yeah and a Lucy and a Lucie, a Faye and a Faith (sigh)

Edited by Cait

That's probably your age Cait....I on the otherhand have no problems at all! :oxD

Truth to tell ....can't even remember my own name half the time.......

One time there I called one of the 'dads' Russell for a whole term ......turned out his name was Chris!!!

Edited by sunnyday

I work in a nursery attached to a hospital, I call all parents Mr, Mrs, Miss or their 1st name if its more relaxed. Mostly because I cant remember who is and who isnt a Dr and I always believe that once a parent walks through the door they are so and so's mummy and daddy. I once worked in a nursery on an RAF camp, some of the higher ranking offiv=cers could be very pompous and wanted addressing by their rank, one even asked me if I knew who he was so I said "yes; Johnny's dad"! I am always respectful and do respect their role in the workplace however I do believe that in nursery and in line with equal opps they are their child's parent/carer; nothing more nothing less, so everyone gets treated the same!!

Well I found a site about wedding etiquette - have a look here to see how they suggest addressing envelopes for various scenarios of addresees.

I like the suggestion of addressing the inner envelope (presumably the invitation) "The Doctors Jones" which sounds a bit Jane Austen to me! And of course that doesn't solve how to address the letter, unless they imagine you'd write "Dear Doctors Jones"?

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Oh, Maz!!

I guess I should point out that I am not planning to get married any time soon, before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion about why I would be looking at a wedding etiquette site!

Maz