Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anybody Heard About A New Sef?

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Went into panic mode this morning when the post came. I had a letter asking if I was ready for new inspection framework and new sef coming in Sept 2009. Included in the letter was a form to order the specific tools for effective self evaluation. It includes a cdrom but comes at a cost of £183.99. Now I don't intend to take them up on their offer but I was just wondering if anyone had heard about this new sef? :o

Mary

Isn't it just that you have to have it in place for September 2009?

I think they've given this year as a kind of bedding in period for settings to get one drawn up.

Not sure what type of settings you are from, but I remember reading about a new SEF coming into effect from September, I am sure it was only for state maintained schools though.

Sorry Cait - What? - please explain.....

Well, there's this thing called a 'SEF' a 'self Evaluation Form'. It's not mandatory, but they do like you to do it apparently. If you do a forum search you'll find out all about it. It kind of 'came on line' in September 2008.

:o

The letter is from a firm called Forum Business Media Ltd. It says that "The new Self-evaluation Form (SEF) will be available in July 2009" they are offering something to help, priced at £183.99 (plus quarterly payments of £79.99 + P&P + VAT)

Well, there's this thing called a 'SEF' a 'self Evaluation Form'. It's not mandatory, but they do like you to do it apparently. If you do a forum search you'll find out all about it. It kind of 'came on line' in September 2008.

xD

Ha ha very funny - not! :o

The SEF is going to change for Early Years Foundation Stage from Sept 2009. You can read about the changes on Ofsted site, clicking link below (or copying and pasting into your browser)

http://ofstednews.ofsted.gov.uk/article/490

For those of you who get Ofsted News by email, you should have this in your inbox already.

Thanks for that.....you are right.....I did have it already!!!.......All a bit of a 'blur' at this end of the school year!!! :o

I know that my headteacher was annoyed because the primary school SEF format is changing and apparently all SEF's that are currently online will be wiped, ready to start again. So my head has copied hers into a word document so she doesn't loose it all. I was worried that this was also the case for our Preschool SEF which I was about to put online, so I asked my EY's adviser and she said she hadn't heard anything about this and didn't think it was the case.

But now I've heard you all say this I wonder if she knows what she is talking about............! So should I put it online or wait? Arhhhhhhhh!

All I can add is that we had some strange comments at pre school inspection last week..inspector said there were big changes ahead, and that we would eventually see that we were lucky to have had our inspection on this side of the summer break. Now what does that mean? She wouldn't elucidate, and have scoured ofsted site for info, and contacted LEA for advice, and no one seems to be able to shed any light on the comments made. Now changes to the SEF will affect all of us, so can't see that's what she was referring to. Also I know that our inspections are going to be outsourced by a third party (Tribal in my region), but again can't see that this would justify her impending doom...so what else have Ofsted got up their sleve for us all.....If you have any inkling, please, please share

I think that the letter MaryEMac is referring to - sounds like the one I have - makes it sound as though SEF and Ofsted Inspection changes are completely revamped in the way that they were overhauled for EYFS - Huge, major changes!

I can't find anything in the Ofsted's news where it says that my online SEF will be wiped

I subscribe to Ofsted news - but I don't get anything! Just checked online and - yep, I'm registered, so why am I not getting stuff!!!!!

Edited by Cait

I dont know whether this is just for school settings but my head was telling me today that he will have to rewrite the SEF in a different format as they are changing it for Septmeber - he was going on some training about it this evening - will try and find out for tomorrow. Although he did say it will mean a lot of cutting and pasting going on over the holidays I dont think he has to start from scratch again if you see what I mean.

All I can add is that we had some strange comments at pre school inspection last week..inspector said there were big changes ahead, and that we would eventually see that we were lucky to have had our inspection on this side of the summer break. Now what does that mean? She wouldn't elucidate, and have scoured ofsted site for info, and contacted LEA for advice, and no one seems to be able to shed any light on the comments made. Now changes to the SEF will affect all of us, so can't see that's what she was referring to. Also I know that our inspections are going to be outsourced by a third party (Tribal in my region), but again can't see that this would justify her impending doom...so what else have Ofsted got up their sleve for us all.....If you have any inkling, please, please share

OK....worried now :o

I subscribe too Cait, and usually I receive their newsletters, but this one seems not to have been sent. Haven't submitted SEF yet, but done fair bit of work on it so far and was about to finish it off over the summer hols (o.k. I can hear you all giggling) as I said I was going to finish it off this summer. Now I think I will continue unless I receive something to the contrary. My inspection if they are true to form should be about 3rd week in September.

Edited by Panders

Cait - I too have subscribed to Ofsted news but never get anything at all - I used to ages ago and I did make enquiries but still nothing - no email alerts etc

i too subscribe and not had one for ages either, not realised as not working in a setting, thought I may have stopped it in a forgetful moment, but I am still subscribed..

Inge

so not just me then!

The SEF is going to change for Early Years Foundation Stage from Sept 2009. You can read about the changes on Ofsted site, clicking link below (or copying and pasting into your browser)

http://ofstednews.ofsted.gov.uk/article/490

For those of you who get Ofsted News by email, you should have this in your inbox already.

I have just looked at this and it does seem to suggest that changes to the Inspection process are coming in too as well as the changes to the SEF....oh the joys of working in the early years!

I just read it too, and it really makes it sound like there have been no changes for a while after all it has not been changed since July 2008 all of a year , and it also implies it will be changed/ updated once a year in the future...

think they like giving everyone more work to do - here's hoping for all of you doing these that it is only minor tweaking and not major rewrite you need to do...

(The setting I left was brave, did its accreditation and said no to doing sef.. its not compulsory.. they still have a suitable evaluation but in a different way...)

Inge