Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child With Suspected Swine Flu

i have read all the advice from our LEA but what it doesn't say it whether I should inform pther parents that a child has suspected swine flu. we were phone this afternoon after we closed for the week. should I put a notice up on Monday like we do for chickenpox saying look out for symptoms? apparently they aren't testing now so there is unlikely to be a confirmation of the case of the particular child.

we have no particularly vulnerable children or staff but some of our parents are pregnant.

I have the emergency contact details with me so could send a text to everyone tonight??

thanks,

A

We were told one of our children had swine flu, on Monday (Mum rang in)

We had to send out a letter, but the local authority did not want the nursery and school to shut.

It was just to inform parents and remind them about keeping children home with any symptons combined with a high temp!

We remain open with only a few attendees!

We seem to responding overmuch to the hype surrounding swine flu. It is, after all, just flu. It's nothing as severe as the russian flu of 1976 or the huge pandemic that killed thousands just after the war (that was kept hush hush). Yes, I understand that if you have an underlying illness as one of my staff does (brittle asthma) that it can be fatal to catch it, but so can any flu. I think it's necessary to keep a sense of proportion however much the media would have us think otherwise, as we all know, they much prefer the 'headless chicken' approach to anything.

Hi anju

I have had a staff member with confirmed case of Swine Flu - the HPA were very helpful.......emailed me letters and info. for parents

http://www.hpa.org.uk

You wouldn't get a reply now though in time for Monday morning.

I could not have not informed parents - there might be someone 'at home' who really can't 'afford' to catch this.

If parents know what is happening they can make an 'informed choice'.

In addition to my own 'moral beliefs' I live in a tiny village - it would have been impossible to keep quiet.

If it's any consolation - my staff member has a husband and two young daughters and thankfully they didn't catch it from her.

Good luck and hope this helps

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I think you should inform parents so that the are aware and have the opportunity to access antiviral drug for anyone vulnerable in their family who begins to show symptoms. I really don't think there is any reason to keep it quiet. I think you need to trust in the fact that the majority of people will react sensibly.

This is a copy of the letter the HPA sent us to give out to parents................. we have one confirmed case of swine flu ( although it was diagnosed over the phone!):

Dear Parents and Guardians

Swine Flu

A number of children within ( name of setting)…………. have been ill in recent days. We are writing to provide you with some information, in order to address any concerns and advise parents what they need to do regarding this matter.

Nationally, the situation regarding swine flu has been updated and anyone presenting with a temperature of 38oc or higher and with flu like symptoms is now being issued with Tamiflu, the drug used to treat Swine Flu. As a result of being unwell, some children from …………. are now being treated with Tamiflu.

Parents at …………… should feel assured that we are liaising closely with the local NHS (NHS Wiltshire), Health Protection Agency (HPA) and Local Authority regarding this matter. Having taken advice, we have decided to keep the school open as normal.

In the vast majority of cases, swine flu is a mild illness and those affected make a full and quick recovery. Children and adults who do not have flu like symptoms should continue their daily routines as normal.

Measures are being put into place to monitor the situation closely and it will be kept under review.

Parents of any children who show signs of specific flu-like symptoms (temperature, cough, sore throat, muscle aches, runny noses or vomiting / diarrhoea) are advised to phone their family doctor for advice. Do not attend the surgery as this will help limit the spread of infection.

For general information about swine flu visit or contact:

· NHS Choices www.nhs.uk

· The swine flu information line (0800) 1 513 513

· NHS Direct 0845 4647.

· www.hpa.org.uk

We will keep you up to date if and when the situation changes.

Many thanks for your cooperation on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Maggie Rae …………….

Director of Public Health, NHS Wiltshire Headteacher

thanks for the advice so far.

the thing is, it is suspected rather than confirmed which is why I am hesitant - I'm not trying to cover anything up! it's just that I don't want to scaremonger - I agree with Cait about that side of things.

thanks for the advice so far.

the thing is, it is suspected rather than confirmed which is why I am hesitant - I'm not trying to cover anything up! it's just that I don't want to scaremonger - I agree with Cait about that side of things.

Of course, sorry anju - I didn't mean to imply that you would try to 'cover anything up' - much easier for me as she had been 'swabbed' and 'confirmed'........

Apologies

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I see tonight the first Swine Flu death with 'no underlying health problems' has been reported!! About 20 miles from where I live!! :o

Yes I just heard that on the radio. That does put a rather different complexion on things, I think - I wonder if this is an isolated death (although clearly tragic for the family involved) or whether this is the beginning of the next phase of the outbreak.

Maz

Sadly thousands of people die from flu every year, not all of whom have serious underlying health problems. This flu is no different at the moment from any other flu and it was only a matter of time before this happened. The problem is the huge media hype surrounding it which is making it into a bigger issue. :o

Sadly thousands of people die from flu every year, not all of whom have serious underlying health problems.

What does the research say about this though? How many children die of flu each year, or healthy forty year olds or frail 80 year olds? How many pre-schoolers and older school chidlren actually get flu each year?

I think one of the problems is that the term 'flu' is used by many people when all they actually have is a heavy cold. The Government spokesman was saying on the radio this morning that whilst it is possible that other deaths from swine flu may occur where there were no existing health problems, a swift rise in these numbers wasn't likely.

I guess all we can do is keep talking to our parents about what is happening locally and tell them about the precautions we are taking and how they can help keep their children (and by extension, all the children in pre-school) healthy.

Maz

I would get my health and safety consultant to tell me how they collate the figures Maz, and how much of a break down is contained within them. However, I have found him fast asleep in an armchair!! :o I know that the figure is around 28,000 people a year that die from flu though. Expect to hear of an awful lot more people who have died over the coming months. xD

I would get my health and safety consultant to tell me how they collate the figures Maz, and how much of a break down is contained within them. However, I have found him fast asleep in an armchair!! :o

He hasn't got man flu has he?