Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Forms

Hi, Im sure you are all fed up of all these questions and I get fed up of asking, but planning forms, what forms do you use is it the look, listen note sheets, do you get your keypersons to complete the weekly planning summary do you use other forms, my head is in a whirl and I thought I had finally cracked it but am having a crisis. I want to do the right thing but I dont think I am and I really feel like packing it all in, I keep changing things over, I do a focus activity once a week but dont know if I should be doing that, I try to look at my teams observations and plan from that but find it really time consuming to look over all their observations but as the supervisor I feel I should be doing that. Sorry for complete rant but seriously dont know what else to do, I dream of EYFS in my sleep or actually have nightmares!

Thank you in anticipation of your help and advice.

Hi Sheila45,

I empathise how you feel I think all of us have felt this way at one time or another.

Maybe take a step back and consider what is the purpose of planning, rather than should I be doing this that or the other.

Are your children making progress? If yes then what you are doing can't be that bad can it.

If not, in what areas are they not progressing, how can you plan for this?

Planning, I believe is a whole setting responsibility, all staff, children and parents can contribute, staff definately at an equal level of input, differentiated by each staff members knowledge / abilities. Children influence plans through their actions and interests and can voice their own ideas for what they'd like to learn, what they like to do and how they like to learn, parents can support with ideas, knowledge of child and their own individual skills in many ways.

What is your concern about your current system? Define these then include all in developing how to manage it.

One thing I learnt as an owner of a setting was not to make changes for change sake, not to make changes too often, let new systems have time to truly inbed into the everyday life of the setting so that it becomes second nature. Make it as paper free and manageable in terms of time as possible.

Give all staff as much ownership of their own planning as possible, this further enables to plans to be followed. Also remember that children are children and the best laid plans are sometimes best forgotten and saved for another day because a new exciting event has happened in a childs life that doesn't resemble your plans at all. :o

Hope this has helped, remeber the important thing to ask is:

Are the children progressing and enjoying their learning?

final thought, you could always plan not to plan for a day or two and just see what happens. xD

Peggy

Hello, I've been playing around with my planning tonight, so I might as well post it on here for some opinions

the first page is the general weekly plan - I will plan the adult initiated activities for the week, but leave most of the rest of the grid empty to record what the children have picked, although some days i will plan for specific things depending on whats happening/events etc. The boxed around the outsdie are for each child in my room for the keyperson to record their individual interests, learning intensions and areas they would like to observe. This is what i've added tonight as i want something that we can at a glance check to see what each child needs and would be filled in weekly when i do the planning. (don't know if it will work!)

The second page is just to record ideas that children come up with during the day/week. I am considering laminating this and using board pens and then photocopying its at the end of the week or using postit notes on it. This page will show the groups interests and activities they would like to do or have out. I will use this to plan from for the next week and include any acitivities that we didnt get to do straight away :)

Planning_4_7_9_fsb.doc

Hello, I've been playing around with my planning tonight, so I might as well post it on here for some opinions

the first page is the general weekly plan - I will plan the adult initiated activities for the week, but leave most of the rest of the grid empty to record what the children have picked, although some days i will plan for specific things depending on whats happening/events etc. The boxed around the outsdie are for each child in my room for the keyperson to record their individual interests, learning intensions and areas they would like to observe. This is what i've added tonight as i want something that we can at a glance check to see what each child needs and would be filled in weekly when i do the planning. (don't know if it will work!)

The second page is just to record ideas that children come up with during the day/week. I am considering laminating this and using board pens and then photocopying its at the end of the week or using postit notes on it. This page will show the groups interests and activities they would like to do or have out. I will use this to plan from for the next week and include any acitivities that we didnt get to do straight away :)

lots of downloads - any opinions please???

Hi icklehels,

I like your boxes around the edge, I think thats a realy good idea. I don't think there is any set format that will work for all of us, so just try it and see if it works.

I know this is obvious advice but I didn't want to download and not say anything :o

I think it looks really good, I recently offered my planning for advice too, I kept checking it all day to see what people thought, it is mad that we all need so much reassurance isn't it? But I guess it is a personal thing but it is nice to see how others view our ideas.....I think your planning looks really good, the plan is very detailed and covers everything...I love it, well done to you. :oxD:(

I think we all beg, borrow and steal each others ideas - it is a great way to share!!

Edited by Guest

I think it looks really good, I recently offered my planning for advice too, I kept checking it all day to see what people thought, it is mad that we all need so much reassurance isn't it? But I guess it is a personal thing but it is nice to see how others view our ideas.....I think your planning looks really good, the plan is very detailed and covers everything...I love it, well done to you. :oxD:(

I think we all beg, borrow and steal each others ideas - it is a great way to share!!

Thank you- tbh this version of my plan evolved from someone elses planning (learning wall lady????) and some planning ideas from the eyfs site - plus of course my own rooms ideas/way of working :)

I have a planning meeting on wednesday so I will be taking this with me and hopefully the other room leaders in my nursery will like and adapt for their rooms...

Thanks for sharing, I too like the boxes around the outside. I'd like to try this to see how it works in practice.

Do you have an activity sheet for your adult led focus activity each day or is all the information on this sheet?

I do appreciate you sharing your ideas, as I am thinking along the same lines, althouh had not thought of the boxes.

get your key people to input their child's interests on planning sheet it is after all, should be part of their role , helping to move their children forward

my staff do this and i collate it on friday onto one sheet for following week it enables me to see which members of staff if any need help with their planning or more training

Hello, I am very new to the FSF Forum ( about 10 minutes infact) and could really do with some advice on Medium term planning. I have been out of teaching / planning for a while and have been told to go on the National Strategies site, which has been really useful. But how often do the objectives in the Development matters boxes have to be covered

Many Thanks

Kate

I am just about to start as Nursery teacher after having reception since January. I am also moving to a new school so any planning for nursery is very interesting to me- like the boxes idea!. Not sure how mine will work as we have to follow the school's format and they are looking to change things themselves. I will let you know if anything earth shattering to do with planning comes up. Planning drives me mad!

like the fact you have boxes around the edge for staff to add activities, and staff free time is also alocated on to the sheet. could I also ask you how does your staff free time work as this is something I would like to develop within my nursery x x x

Thank you- tbh this version of my plan evolved from someone elses planning (learning wall lady????) and some planning ideas from the eyfs site - plus of course my own rooms ideas/way of working :)

I think it looks good - you've obviously put some thought into this. My only criticism is that you have a 'creative acrea' but perhaps you did that deliberately to see who'd read it!

Your page 2 is the same as our whiteboard, we find it easier - and less paperwork to use that. I can photograph it or just make a few notes in my log book

well done you!

ps am I the 'learning wall lady'? the middle box looks very familiar

actually - you could save yourself a fair bit of room if you put your 'theme' in with your page header - just a thought

I've had a quick play with it

Planning_4_7_9_fsb.doc

Edited by Cait

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)