Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Michael Jackson

sunnyday

So I came home from worked and logged on, thinking I would add my thoughts to a tribute to Michael lackson......I was so sure someone would have started a thread :o but no.......so I will start it!

I know that he had got weirder than weird in recent years.......but......I was lucky enough to see him perform in '86/87...he was FANTASTIC!

My youngest son is a massive fan.....thought I should text him this morning - couldn't think what to say - didn't want to be gushingly sentimental......so I just sent a message saying......'That's bad!' - knew that he would 'get it' - he texted back 'yeah know anyone who wants a couple of concert tickets!'........that's my boy!

Anyway........ my thoughts are with his children, family, friends and fans.

Sunnyday

Yes I agree - if you take away all the weird stuff from the last few years hopefully he will be remenbered for the fantastic creative genius he was. I too was lucky enough to see him in the 80's and he was a true performer

R.I.P. Michael may you find true peace and condolences to your children and family :o

Yes I agree - if you take away all the weird stuff from the last few years hopefully he will be remenbered for the fantastic creative genius he was. I too was lucky enough to see him in the 80's and he was a true performer

R.I.P. Michael may you find true peace and condolences to your children and family :o

Did you see him at Wembley Stadium......I did......perhaps we were at the same concert!

we heard it on the newslast night about 11pm - still unconfirmed (my daughter - 14yrs bless her very upset) and i agree very sad loss - very talented but ...strange over the last few years - but who am i to judge - i feel for his family xxx

A great talent but I always felt that he was not a very happy person.

I had hoped that one day he might stop trying so hard and sit back and enjoy a little less limelight and a little more normality. Perhaps that might have happened had he reached a greater age. Sadly it was not to be.

I just hope that his family are allowed to reflect on his life in peace.

to be honest,i love michael jackson as a musician-he is a pop legend but as it has been stated a sad day for music a greatday for children!!

we were discussing it at work and he is bankrupt due to paying children off!! but at the end of tha day he has children and was a pop legend!!

God rest his soul !!!!x

I think he was a really sad and unhappy person in his life. Seems such a shame as he was a brilliant performer. Just goes to show that money cant buy everything. I hope he finds more peace wherever he is now than he did during his lifetime.

I think it is sad for anyone of 50 to lose their life.

Its no age.

I feel sad for his family's loss.

However I feel sorrier for the little boy in year 5 at my school whose Dad died yesterday.

Just an ordinary guy, no bleached face, no weird behaviour where children were concerned..... just a Dad.

I don't believe Micheal Jackson has offered this world anything of value for a good many years.................... and all this hype and hysteria over his death is OTT.

I know some will not agree.

But thats what this forum is about! Arguing!! Discussing! Disagreeing!

RIP Micheal but enough now of this media explosion over it being a great loss.

It isn't.

Just curious Scarlettangel, but what's the difference between the boy you know loosing his dad, and Michael Jackson's children loosing theirs?

And personally, I think anyone's death is a great loss.

Edited by MrsWeasley

Let me make this clear - anyone dying, especially aged just 50, is a tragedy.

That being said, the outpouring of "emotion" over this indivual's untimely demise is, when all said and done, slightly absurd.

I am afraid any vague respect that I may have ever had for the man disappeared with that Brits performance in 1996 (or thereabouts). The "Earth Song" when Jarvis Cocker stormed the stage in protest at something that, to my eyes, was just a little bit too egotistical and made me feel pretty ill.

Come on people, the man was on the stage dressed like Jesus and behaving like he was that new "Messiah" - am I the only person in the world to find that just a little bit sick?

Anyway, I shall add nothing further!

Cheers,

DDC.

It is no doubt true that Michael Jackson was a damaged man from a complex and highly unusual childhood, or rather the absence of a normal childhood. At the height of his fame he had money beyond imagination, and the power to get (and do) almost anything he could dream of. This power and influence, when conferred on someone whose psyche was built on such fragile foundations would inevitably lead to someone developing a shaky grip on reality and would lead to unstable behaviour. I'm sure he was surrounded by people who responded to his every whim no matter how out of control he became - thus confirming his own view of his behavior and desires as being entirely reasonable.

Yet throughout all this madness Michael Jackson provided the soundtrack to many of our lives and inspired devotion in his fans worldwide. Like him or loathe him, and whether you think he was mad, bad and dangerous to know or just misunderstood, no-one can deny that he leaves an enormous body of work which music critics say will endure long after his death.

As DDC has said, any death of any 50 year old is a tragedy, and you'd need a heart of stone not to feel for his three young children who after all did not ask to be born into the bizarre world that their father inhabited. I don't think we'll ever really know the truth of Michael Jackson's life, but those early Jackson 5 tracks are what I will remember: a period when the extraordinay talent of a bright-eyed five year old gave no hint of the troubled times to come.

Maz

Well I had to add a tribute. I've been a Michael Jackson fan for about 25 years ...and today is so shocking. I still don't think its hit me properly...part of me still doesnt believe it can be true.

Michael was the most amazing singer, writer, composer and dancer.

He should be remembered for that.

My heart goes out to all the jacksons who must be devastated.

They have lost the real Michael few ever got to know - father, son, brother, uncle....

A sad sad day.

Mrs Weasley, no difference on one level.

Children losing their dads, very sad indeed....... and I did say that anyone losing their life at 50 is awful.

In my opinion this very ordinary man here where I live deserves as much sadness. Its different I knew him, I know his child, his wife.

I think my other point is that its the OTT outpouring of grief..............

Most people didn't KNOW Micheal Jackson in the correct sense of the term, and if you are not a Jackson fan then what did he bring to the world?????????

Not world peace.

Not a cure for cancer.

It needs to be seen in perspective.

Yes he was talented. ONCE UPON A TIME AGO.

Sorry

Hi

My initial thoughts were why all this attention, sad of course anyone should loose their life at 50 but he was only a popstar, just more hype from within our celebrity obsessed culture.

Moreover, seeing some of the jokes that are going around I felt sickened not because of the timing but because if he had in fact got away with child abuse because of his fame and fortune, it would indeed be sickening. I guess we will never know.

However, watching the tribute on TV yesterday evening I remembered his fantastic gift for music and dance. I did in the end feel sorry for him, I feel as a society we contributed to his lifestyle.

Interesting, as ever, to read everyones thoughts.

Scarlettangel - I am genuinely sorry to hear that you lost someone you knew yesterday and I fully understand your viewpoint.

We will never know whether or not Michael Jackson was guilty or innocent of the child abuse allegations - and yes, he did 'pay off' one family....he said at the time that he "couldn't take anymore and wanted it all to stop"....who knows........

Perhaps we should remember that he was cleared of all charges in the second case..........

There is no 'hysteria' in the Sunnyday household......and I'm sure that we will all grow very tired of media coverage to come.

As a family, we were watching one of the tribute programmes last night and reminiscing and discussing various aspects of his career and life .... all very healthy - I think......at the same time my 3 year old grandaughter was copying his dance moves......just lovely :o

The concert that I was lucky to attend was from the 'Bad' tour - so songs like ....'Man in The Mirror', 'Smooth Criminal', 'Dirty Diana' ..........

I went to this concert with my son who was only 12 at the time and a huge M.J. fan.....I had promised him that if he toured here, I would take him.......what a fantastic show....really glad that I got to see him at, what I would consider, his best.

Maz - I loved your post - wish I could express myself with such eloquence.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I think my other point is that its the OTT outpouring of grief..............

Most people didn't KNOW Micheal Jackson in the correct sense of the term,

Firstly, I think people who have grown up listening to his music and have never known life without it would feel they do know him. He's a part of their life, and I believe that's just as good as knowing him personally.

and if you are not a Jackson fan then what did he bring to the world?????????

Not world peace.

Not a cure for cancer.

It needs to be seen in perspective.

Are you saying that if someone hasn't done these things, then there's no point in mourning them?

I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but like you said, we're here for debates/discussions etc.

I'm sad for Farrah Fawcett's family more, I think. To be totally outshadowed by this must be awful for them. Their beautiful daughter did so many lovely things and I feel we have lost the opportunity to reflect on HER life and films and things.

Perhaps we need, as a 'species' to have these major outpourings of grief every now and then; I'm thinking JFK, Elvis, Diana etc. The 'where were you when you heard' moments, I dunno.

Michael was bizarre and his own worst enemy, there's no doubt about that, and just like Elvis he died young and possibly of problems of his own making.

But lets not make him out to be a hero, he wasn't. He was just a singer, songwriter, dancer who had a meteoric rise to fame in a time when 'popstars' were media hyped.

When I was a teenager, you were Donny, Michael or Stones - I was Donny. If it had been Donny who died yesterday there's no doubting I'd be sad, but I wouldn't be demented over it like some fans seem to be on the TV last night.

It's sad for his family and close circle who, as someone above said 'knew the REAL Michael' the one we were never allowed to see. There's no doubting that everyone's thoughts are with them at the moment, and Farah's too.

I'm certainly not trying to 'make him a hero'. :o

I just enjoy his music :(

Added to that, as I have said - I was lucky enough to watch him perform at Wembley Stadium and he was BRILLIANT!!!

He was a terribly 'disturbed' individual.....but for that I think he deserves our 'pity'.....that's not really the right word ....might think of it soon and come back!!!

I'm certainly not distraught......perish the thought......would take too much energy! :( But I do think it's very sad that he died at 50, and I do feel for his children and family.

I thought the scenes from Trafalgar Square were great - with crowds gathered peacefully ...singing his songs....if I was there I would have joined in with enthusiasm xD

Edited by sunnyday

Just popped back to say......of course I feel very sorry that Farrah Fawcett has died.....and I acknowledge that it will be very hard for her family, if her passing is totally overshadowed by M.J.'s death......I don't know anything about her or her life, so I can't comment on what she did or did not achieve!

Sunnyday

Hi all,

I am shocked by his death. I grew up listening to his music and along with my sisters and brother coppied his legendary dance moves. What an amazing pop star, no one will replace.

As for him as a person i did not like his personal life, being that close to children in his home, having sleepovers with them thats sick.

But i suppose thats what happens if you have alot of money, you can buy yourself out of any situation.

Loving listening to his music and will carry on.

This is a really interesting discussion which on the surface is a comment on the nature and value of celebrity - but in some people's comments there have also been undertones of how to sum up the relative worth of a person's life in terms of what they have or haven't achieved, or what they might have contributed to society. I'm not sure there is any comparison between a colleague's grief at hearing of the death of a much loved child she had minded, or that of the family of a beautiful model who made a tv series and a number of films in Hollywood, or that of the children of a former child star who grew up to spend 45 years of his life writing music which was bought and heard by millions of people around the globe. All are tragic, and all have happened this week, and all have left families bereft and grieving.

I think Cait's point about society's need for an outpouring of grief periodically is an interesting one, and the thing that links the deaths of JFK, Diana and now Michael Jackson is that they lived thier lives in the glare of publicity to the extent that (if we were interested enough to follow events) we felt we knew them personally. For a Michael Jackson fan who listened to his music whilst giving birth, or played a particular track endlessly to help them get over a broken heart, they will feel as if he was a very real part of their life, and those fans who are grieving very publicly feel they have lost a friend.

I notice that on Radio 4 today the news that Michael Jackson's body has been handed over to his family was relegated to item four or five on the running order of their news bulletin. Perhaps that signifies that other news stories (such as the decommissioning of weapons in Northern Ireland, for example) will take their proper place in terms of importance and relevance to our lives, at least in the 'quality' news media organisations. However I feel that the 24 hour news channels who struggle to justify their existence, and the tabloid newspapers and magazines who capitalise on human misery and pain will undoubtedly prolong coverage of his death for as long as possible.

So long as we consume this stuff it will continue to be produced, which is why the first edition of OK or Hello magazine (can't remember which) without an article about Jade Goody some weeks after her death was deemed worthy of a mention on the news. Some people will continue to be obsessed by Michael Jackson as others are about Princess Diana but I'm not sure whether this says more about the need of the people to dwell on the lives of the personalities they idolise or the legacy of the person concerned.

Whichever side of the debate you subscribe to, I hope that normal service will be resumed soon.

Maz

Just popped back to say......of course I feel very sorry that Farrah Fawcett has died.....and I acknowledge that it will be very hard for her family, if her passing is totally overshadowed by M.J.'s death......I don't know anything about her or her life, so I can't comment on what she did or did not achieve!

Sunnyday

perhaps sunnyday, it might in a strange way be a blessing for Farrah Fawcett's family. Maybe they just want to mourn her death in peace without the glare of the public eye and because of the huge media coverage surrounding MJ's death they are being allowed to do just that, mrsW.

"Are you saying that if someone hasn't done these things, then there's no point in mourning them?"

To re iterate Mrs Weasley no that is not what I am saying.

Thats your take on what I am saying!!!!!

I am annoyed, dismayed, troubled by the constant media spotlight on Micheals death.

Its too much.

Its OTT.

We didn't lose a saint or anyone in my opinion (which is all I am putting forward here) who deserves this much attention.

Its not seeing his death in perspective.............. I think that is winding me up.

Micheal Jackson IS dead.

I am sorry for his family at this time, and sorry for their loss.

BUT people die everyday and I expect many of them lead lives that were perhaps worth mourning over more.

I'm done now.

No more "talk" about this from me.

What about sunrise

What about rain

What about all the things

That you said we were to gain...

What about killing fields

Is there a time

What about all the things

That you said was yours and mine...

Did you ever stop to notice

All the blood we've shed before

The crying Earth the weeping shores?

What have we done to the world

Look what we've done

What about all the peace

That you pledge your only son...

What about flowering fields

Is there a time

What about all the dreams

That you said was yours and mine...

All the children dead from war

The crying Earth the weeping shores

Michael Jackson was a genius of his time, and a child trapped in a body which he had to change as it matured to meet the needs of the public and the media to keep himself the child they expected. It was inevitable that he would have problems, and they were not of his making. He had an abnormal childhood and was never able to be himself growing up in celebrity, which is something none of us have had to cope with, and perhaps can't imagine how that culture would define who we are or what we would feel we had to be. I certainly can't judge him for that. In some way you could say that society abused him and was responsible for what he became. Did he have a choice?

I feel sad that he has died but would feel the same about anyone I didn't know, who I heard about, but I am sad because he is a product of the culture of celebrity. I'm glad that even in death I will never have to cope with what I'm sure is to come, the voyeuristic interest of the public, which sells papers.

Lots of people contribute in different ways to the world. Some cure, some teach, some write books, some paint, some preach, some dance, some compose, some design, some bring joy and happiness and entertain, some go about their daily lives and do their bit for society and their families. They all do their part.

The death of Michael Jackson is sad. No more no less. Any death is tragic to the family involved. The fact that the media chose to put it first in the news over the death of our troops, over the death of a toddler beaten to death by the baby sitter puts what the media thinks of Joe public into perspective.

Michael Jackson may have been a genius but the whole world knows he was a very unstable/disturbed man who took prescription drugs. My sympathy goes to his family and children but perhaps now his children will be able to live a 'normal life' .

Can't everyone just be sad that he is dead and celebrate his genius rather than dwell on the alleged bad things that he did? Of course their will be hysteria - he was famous the world round. Why is it OTT?? People grew up with him in their homes and on their TVs for years so of course people will be upset. People didn't KNOW Princess Diana but they were allowed to be hysterical over her death (i am not hysterical by the way - just sad that such a talented genuis has died)

He had no childhood - he was whipped with a belt if he didn't practice hard enough, he was constantly in the limelight and was never ever NOT famous, of course he will have done things that we find strange. But can you imagine never being able to play out with the kids in the street, never be able to have time to play with your toys, hang out, have sleep overs cos youre so busy singing. Is there any wonder that he wanted to build a fairytale fairground place where he could just be a child? And is there any wonder why he wanted to spend so much time with kids? Cos he was still a kid - he hadn't had the chance to be one as a child....

I am sure he was inappropriate with children... a grown man having a sleepover with a child is wrong... but in my opinion i would think it probably wasn't sexual and he probably didn't really know any different, in his eyes it was him just hanging out with the kids. But who am i.. i dont know. I just think he was very misunderstood and was just trying desperately to grab back the childhood he never had

Tink! :D x