Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thank You Presents

sunnyday

I had the following email from one of my 'mums'

Hi

I was asking Jonny what he thought you and xxxxxx and xxxxxx would like for a thank you present from him and he said that you would like a new bin and xxxxxx and xxxxxx would like a new kettle!!!!! Can I take it that this is not the truth and find something else.......chocs, flowers, smellies?

I thought that was so funny and I am delighted that his mum knows me well enough to pass this on to give me a laugh!

Anyway, made me think about my favourite thank you pressie.....it wasn't any of the extremely generous and expensive gifts that I have been lucky enough to receive...although they are obviously very much appreciated! :o

A few years ago...a group of mums planned and plotted and produced the hugest 'junk' model that you have ever seen - it was taller than me (mind you that's not very tall)....but what I loved was that they had painted it and then absolutely covered it in all the resources that we use for junk modelling - including sequins, glitter, wool, pasta - you get the idea!!!

Of course it was 'payback' for all the wonderful models we had sent home with their children!!! I loved it and the thought and planning that had gone into it!!!

So what has been your favourite thank you pressie?

Sunnyday

years ago, in my early years of teaching I think, I had my favourite class EVER. At the end of the year I was going travelling to central America and one day they just wouldn't go home after dropping the kids off. Then one of the children appeared as I was finishing the register and from behind the curtains came all the mums (it was an open plan building) and he presented me with a bag full of body shop stuff to go travelling with. I still use the comb and the bag it all came in (even tho' the bag is falling to bits!

They were all such lovely children and parents.

Cx

For me it is less the presents (although much appreciated especially the wine and chocolate :o ) but more the cards in which the parent has asked the child what they want to say and transcribed for them. They can bring a tear to my eye even now thinking about them. Where the parents have taken the time to do this it is so clearly the child's own words which makes it especially lovely and helps me to remember them.

I have the most beautiful card made by a Mother and son from Nursery. On the back the Mother had written a very moving poem about the effect my love and care had had on her and her precious son at a really difficult time in their lives. She had quoted beautiful words from a prophet ( Muslim) and I have it still as a treasured possession.

Last year a one pint mug for my tea! 'For my titcher' written on it. Dad had also written in the accompanying card that if I used the mug on a regular basis I'd be a 'bloater' rather than 'titcher'. I was touched that Dad had put a comment in too, along with everyone else, as as Sunnyday says, it's a nice feeling that they know you well enough that they can have a joke with you.

Mine is my china mug with a big handpainted heart on it - from a family who said it was for all the love I'd given them and their children xD

When my daughter was in primary school the parents made a donation to buy the class teacher a joint present. We were unsure what to buy and I was holding the collection money. Arriving for parents evening my husband and I walked in to find the teacher checking out the Laura Ashley sale on the interactive whiteboard! She was SO embarrased but it gave me an idea...

On the last day of term she was presented (in front of all the staff and parents on the playground!) with a Laura Ashley gift card - oh, how she blushed!!!!!!!! :o (She still laughs about it though)

Nona

Edited by Guest

Mines a scrapbook that the children did for me when thay left for school. Each child had added a page with drawings photos and things they said would remind them of their time with me. I often look through it with fondness.

Hi All,

I thought I would put a spanner in the works and re-cap on our auful Xmas gift - once of our parents oranised a collection and instead of sharing the money out equally she decided to give 3 staff vouchers and then the 2 remaining photo frames - well you can imagine what I had to deal with it was auful - staff felt totally devalued and all the other parents who had donated thought we had all been given the vouchers. I had to tell the parent that it was in-appropriate and we have now banned collections.

I love the junk model - if one of my parents had made that for me, I would of loved it - presnet needed just a "thank you " is great.

xxx Dot

At one pre-school where I worked the present issue became really difficult as part-time staff landed up with very little and fulltime lots. We therefore spoke to one very sensible and supportive Mum and suggested she could perhaps talk to other parents and suggest they could give a book for the setting. The parents took it up and we were always very grateful to have a good stock of fresh, attractive, non-dogeared books to enjoy with the children. They wrote a message inside the book and so each time they read it the staff could remember the child who had given it.

Gruffalo2 :o

A couple spring to mind

When we were looking at Van Gogh one little boy while watching cricket with his dad had asked if Darren Gough was Van Gogh's brother. Dad was crying with laughter telling me about it later. When it was time to leave dad brought a coffee table book of colour plates of Van Gogh for nursery and myself a ceramic wall plaque of 'Irises' the picture we'd been looking at.

The youngest in a large family bought me a small alpine plant. I was touch as I knew money was tight for this family. It's now a spread 2 foot wide in my front garden and flowers each year.

One child had gone shopping for a gift and I was presented with a 'Angel of my heart' willow tree figure. Grandma said the little girl had spotted it in the shop and wanted it for me as she ' loved me with all her heart'. It stands on my mantle piece.

as you can imagine over a long early years career there have been loads of little things given to remind me of the children.

One was a little heart shaped paper mache box, decorated by the child with paint sequins flowers etc, and inside were a small selection of items chosen by the child for me, a bead necklace, bracelet which I made sure I wore regularly, (she was so pleased I wore them ) a small cat with a lucky horseshoe and a few other little bits. She remembered them all when I opened the box telling me about each one...

Often the parents would gather together to buy items for us, mostly because being in the area we were in many could not afford to buy individually, so it worked well for them..

On leaving, I think the most touching was a rose to name, there have been lots more...

Inge

Guest babyjane31

mine was a message in a card from a little girl with significant special needs saying simply 'thank you for letting me be me' we had gone on such a journey with this child and all loved her to bits (i know we're not supposed to have favourites) and it made me and all my staff cry!. there was also a very generous gift card for early learning centre, I always prefer gifts for the setting but am quite partial to the odd bottle of wine or box of chocs

For me it's the cards and the messages inside them.

When I left my first school after my NQT year I had 2 fantastic letters that brought a tear to my eye, well no, they had me sobbing actually! So so lovely.

Since moving into special I've not really had many pressies, just the odd box of chocs and a couple of candles.

I was embarressed when I left my NQT school as I had 26 in my class and got 24 pressies!

A lovely pressie I got last year was a dontation to disability sport in Africa that one of the parents had done for us.