Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted And Social Services Involvment

Hi,

any of you following my previous post will realise that two members of staff have made an allegation against another member of staff. the allegation involves a child protection concern.

we have suspended the member of staff, pending inquiry, and have contacted ofsted for advice. they now have it logged that we have had an incident, and although they say we are dealing with it correctly, i am so worried that they may just turn up and inspect us. we are not due an inspection, and i have not yet fully completed the SEF, im so worried!!!!!

is it likely do you think that they will inspect us. or do you think that since we have suspended person in question they will give us adequate time to investigate and get back to them re outcomes.

social services have also been involved and again are happy with how we are dealing with things, i think they will be able to offer us support and advice, so i am not that worried about them, but i am worried re ofsted.

Dawn

Well, it's easy to say 'don't be', but I do mean it. You have done everything the right way, and have noing to be concerned about on that front. I wouldn't be anxious about not having completed you SEF, it's not mandatory, but you'll need to be able to demonstrate how you are meeting the areas they are asking about.

You'll have informed them of everything you have done, and about Social Services involvement, so again, no worries on that front.

If they turn up, they turn up - take the opportunity to demonstrate your excellence in everything - use the time to show them that you are a great team and will contunue to work with the best interests of all the children at the heart of what you do.

Thanks cait,

very reassuring words, thank you... i can not believe how stresful things feel right now.

Dawn

Well, it's easy to say 'don't be', but I do mean it. You have done everything the right way, and have noing to be concerned about on that front. I wouldn't be anxious about not having completed you SEF, it's not mandatory, but you'll need to be able to demonstrate how you are meeting the areas they are asking about.

You'll have informed them of everything you have done, and about Social Services involvement, so again, no worries on that front.

If they turn up, they turn up - take the opportunity to demonstrate your excellence in everything - use the time to show them that you are a great team and will contunue to work with the best interests of all the children at the heart of what you do.

It is good to read an update from you Dawn.

I can understand why you are worried, but you have shown that you are taking the matter seriously and I think they will give you full marks for doing that.

You are clearly very very caring and they will see that immediately.

Gruffalo2 :o

Guest mukerjee1

Dawn, totally agree with all the comments. You've 'gone by the book' and involved all that should be. Take care.

I'm with cait, its easy to say 'dont worry', but honestly, you've done everything you should have, and I know it wouldnt have been easy. We like to think that everyone we employ and work with is absolutly trustworthy and its a shock when we find out they might not be. You've bravely followed proceedures and informed the relevent people.

Try not to let it affect your day to day running. :o

Just ensure you follow you allegation procedure, tell all who should be told, and document everything. Ofsted may turn up but will only be investigating the incident and not likely to be a full inspection..

and know that you are doing all you can for welfare of the children

INge

I went through this a while back. Most stressful thing I have ever been involved in as it ended up with me attending a CP conference, my first one, very scary. It made me quite ill, lost loads of weight.

Did everything by the book and kept ofsted informed at all stages. They never paid us a special visit just brought it up at our next inspection as wait for it, a complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!

All was well though as it was not added to our report as a complaint, she explained that a complaint can be made against or by a setting, the latter does not get put into inspection reports. She just had to talk about it with me and said she didn't need to see our paperwork as she was happy with the way we had dealt with the whole matter and the file would be closed.

The staff member concerned didn't even think she had done anything wrong and did phone me for a couple of references for childcare jobs!!!!!! My reply to her was polite hers was very impolite to put it with some very choice words and one classic sentence that I will never forget. "What in ******* hells name did you take it that far for, it was only a ******* smack and she ******* deserved it". I was gobsmacked.

So my thoughts are with you at this stressful time I know exactly what you are going through and wish you well. XX

Dawn how long was it since the initial report was made? My view is that if Ofsted were at all concerned with what this incident reveals about your setting's practice or how it might have affected your setting's ability to safeguard children, they would have been out to see you by now.

Remember I said I had been through something similar myself a few months ago? I was very worried just like you that Ofsted would turn up out of the blue and knowing that my group wouldn't be ready for inspection, let alone facing an enquiry about what had happened. When I spoke to Ofsted about the issue at a later date the chap said something along the lines of "well this is quite low on our priorities list: we have a lot of more important and urgent cases to deal with at the moment".

If they have told you that you are dealing with the issue effectively then you are likely to be meeting the welfare requirements, following policy and due process, and Ofsted will be happy with this provided you continue to meet your responsibilities and keep them informed of what is happening and what your investigations reveal.

This will get better I promise: I know that morale is probably low now and your confidence may well have been dented by what has happened. However this is a case when no news is good news - but I found Ofsted to be incredibly supportive when I spoke to them. They aren't out to trip you up or put undue pressure on you - they just need to know that you're dealing with this issue effectively. They certainly aren't in the business of making more work for themselves - they won't inspect you unless they need to. And as Cait says if they do, just take the opportunity to reassure them that you are doing everything you can to promote good outcomes for the children you work with.

Chin up - and remember we're here whenever you need to rant or share your worries!

Maz

Dawn,

What a horrible stressful time you are going through.

Judging by the posts you have made you have been thoroughly professional throughout this process and Ofsted clearly have every confidence in your abilities. Try not to worry about the prospect of a visit. It is in their interests to have this matter resolved quickly and efficiently. They don't want to be involved in unnecessary investigations and paperwork.

I hope you manage to sort all of this out very soon so you can put it all behind you and and get back to normal.

As Maz says, come back and rant when you need to.

i agree with happymaz - ofsted seem to be happy with the way you are dealing/have dealt with the matter - if it had been of any concern to them they would have visited you very quickly - there are always inspectors who can make visits asap if ofsted have any concerns - remember you did your job and thats what you are there for - ofsted guidelines have been followed and as said before there are other cases that are more worrying to ofsted.

keep on doing what you are doing - remember you have done nothing wrong and i am sure if they did visit re this matter that is all they would be looking at/ talking about not the whole ofsted thing. x

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The initial enquiry was launched yesterday, and that was when external agencies were informed. i am confident we are going by the book, its still a hard process.

As the manager, i am incredibly proud of the staff that did the 'right' thing by making the complaint.... at least they understood their roles and responsibilities in ensuring that they safeguard children. it just makes us all feel 'bad' for the person concerned, tho i realise 'if' she did it, which i believe she did, then she has kind of made her bed, and has to lie in it (for want of a better phrase).

stress levels are high all round, and i will be glad when a conclusion is reached, as i am sure others will be too.

hey hum!, off to work.... just hope we have no official looking people knocking on the door today

Dawn

Dawn, I just wanted to add to what others have said.

And also to say that our SEF is only in draft form but I would be happy to present it if ofsted did come knocking. In theory it's a working document and as such is a work in progress just like your planning. So, it might reassure you just to print out what you have done and have that ready just in case the unlikely happens.

Well done for following through on your concerns.

I have nothing more to add Dawn to the already good advice you are receiving. As you say, thankfully both you and other staff members are professional enough to realise that this issue needs to be dealt with, rather than swept under the carpet. It would be much easier to say nothing, rather than face the stress and upset that such an situation generates, but we would be failing the children in our care if we did this. Stay strong. xx

Just a thought really - I think it's a great reflection on yourself for creating a setting where your staff feel they can share their concerns with you, even if those concerns involve another staff member and also a great reflection on the staff who didn't just "pretend" they didn't see the incident.

Take care,

Mrs Weasley xx

Hi Dawn

Only just read your posts - You poor thing, I feel for you right now. I can only echo what everyone else has said. You have informed Ofsted/ Social Services and suspended the member of staff, so have followed the correct procedures. You have done the right thing. I think someone else mentioned it earlier -but - just make sure you document and date everything (telephone calls, letters, chats etc with everyone concerned - staff, Ofsted, Soc. Services) - all explicit evidence to show relevant authorities. If Ofsted do turn up it will probably be to find out the details of the incident following their own procedures, and shouldn't be an Inspection (I would be surprised if that happened). Don't worry about your SEF - it's seen as a work in process, and is not mandatory.