Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Look, That Lady Is Looking At You...

MrsWeasley

Today in WH Smiths, a little girl, no older than about 3 was throwing a bit of a tantrum. I was watching her for a while, and then her (I presume...) Grandmother noticed me watching. I gave her a little smile and then she turns to the child and says "Look! That lady is looking at you because she's so disgusted at how naughty you're being" :o I felt so bad for this little girl, who just looked at me totally confused and proceeded to cry even more!

I felt like saying to her "Actually I work with children, and I've seen much worse. And I don't even blame her for throwing a tantrum because you're not exactly being very nice are you?" :( Haha. And I can't believe how bad she's made me feel, for making this little girl feel bad! :( :wacko:

But the thing is, this happens to me all the time. I once had a parent say to her child "Look if you don't behave that lady is going to have to call the police and they'll come and take you away" or something like that xD

Has this happened to anyone else?!

I just thought I'd share, :(

Oh yes - we once had to ring a parent to come and get a child who hadn't settled and was becoming hysterical, she came into the room and scooped up her child and said "Did Mummy leave you in this nasty place with these people - how naughty of mummy" gee thanks a lot!

Oh yes - we once had to ring a parent to come and get a child who hadn't settled and was becoming hysterical, she came into the room and scooped up her child and said "Did Mummy leave you in this nasty place with these people - how naughty of mummy" gee thanks a lot!

Okay, you win! :o

Oh yes - been there........

A few years ago we had a little girl with 'challenging behaviour', we worked extremely hard with her and slowly her behaviour started to improve.........mum, I think had a slight problem with that..........implied that she was somehow 'afraid' of us....complete rubbish of course......and very insulting and 'hurtful'......I explained to this mum exactly how we worked with her daughter etc.etc. and she said .... well all I know is that when she's being naughty at home we pretend to ring you and that always stops her - can you imagine how I felt.

Sunnyday

Oh yes - been there........

well all I know is that when she's being naughty at home we pretend to ring you and that always stops her - can you imagine how I felt.

I think you should interpret that in a more favourable light towards yourself, Sunnyday. This little girl obviously understood your expectations and boundaries and felt secure within them. She was able to use them to guide herself once reminded of them by her parents. The parents perhaps didn't understand what was happening in her little mind.

Either that or you are a very scarey lady!!!! :o

My mom used to tell my children that the man over there (usualy a security guard) would come and tell them off. I'd always tell them, 'nanny is being silly, I'll tell you off if you dont behave, not the man'.

I think you should interpret that in a more favourable light towards yourself, Sunnyday. This little girl obviously understood your expectations and boundaries and felt secure within them. She was able to use them to guide herself once reminded of them by her parents. The parents perhaps didn't understand what was happening in her little mind.

Either that or you are a very scarey lady!!!! :o

I am not in the least bit 'scarey' that's why I was so hurt by this.

Sunnyday

I was only joking about you being scarey. It is clearly obvious from all of your posts what sort of person you are and that this little girl obviously valued your opinion of her very highly. Hang on to that bit - it's what matters most.

It never ceases to amaze me what people say to their children - there was a time a few years ago when I found it very hard to walk around Sainsburys and see children being treated in such appalling ways by adults, I just wanted to stop them all and say do you realise what you are doing? It doesn't have to be this way.

We have a member of staff whose husband was policeman and she gets very upset when people say, you see that policeman, if you're naughty he will take you away and lock you up etc.

I remember when I was little my grandad always used to like to drink his tea out of his saucer I used to be very indignant that he was allowed to get away with drinking from his saucer so I used to say "when I grow up Im going to be a police lady and arrest you for dinking out of your saucer"

.....and just yesterday I was down the garden and I could hear the neighbour shouting at her kids to behave or she was "going to tell grandma" and I thought you dont hear the line "just you wait til your father comes home!!!" these days

at preschool we have a large enclosed outdoor area but there are corners we dont want the children to play in theres no real danger so rather than block access to everything we set rules of where the children are allowed to go most of the time the children remember the rules but some time theres a defiant child who has to try to wonder off to the far corners and I must confess I have told the odd white lie that the monsters/ bears sleep in the far corners of the playground and we dont want to go and wake them up (ok I know I am evil!!) but surely its no worse than the many fairy tale we where told as children about big bad wolves and wicked witches etc

I was in Tescos when a mum was giving a little boy a real doing and being very physical with him.She saw me looking and moved towards me and said 'what the f***ing H*** are you looking ?' in a really agressive manner. I was so intimidated I left immediately and spoke to the security guard on the way out.

The next day I saw the same mother pushing a pram passed the reception class door with the same little boy. Turned out it was one of our nursery children.'Goodbye Darling' and a big kiss from mum. I passed on what had happen to the current nursery staff but of course according to mum his aggressive behavour in nursery was nothing to do with home :o

Before Christmas one of our children was went hysterical when our spanish teacher came in (he had lots of odd afternoons off and he hadn't met her before), it was a real hysteria fit, crying, shaking - absolutely terrified. when we spoke to mum about it she explained why 'I have told him that strangers will take him away and do bad things to him- at home when the door bell rings he runs upstairs and hides under the bed and cries'. great start to a young life!

I must confess I have told the odd white lie that the monsters/ bears sleep in the far corners of the playground and we dont want to go and wake them up (ok I know I am evil!!) but surely its no worse than the many fairy tale we where told as children about big bad wolves and wicked witches etc

My husband told our 2 year old daughter that bears lived at the bottom of the garden (to keep her away from the sharp drop at the end of the lawn)

After many nightmares and panics about not wanting to play in the garden, desperate measures were called for, so on a day trip to London I bought a postcard with a picture of a bear on it and posted it home with a message from the bears! :o

The bears thanked us for our hospitality but had moved to London!!! xD Hey presto! No more nightmares!

Last year my daughter (now 14!) found the postcard in her "special memories" box and couldn't believe she'd ever fallen for it!

Nona

Guest MaryEMac

I really hate it when a parent comes in and tells me that when their child misbehaves at home they usually say that they will tell Mary and she won't let you go to playgroup. How bad is that?

Mary

I think you should interpret that in a more favourable light towards yourself, Sunnyday. This little girl obviously understood your expectations and boundaries and felt secure within them. She was able to use them to guide herself once reminded of them by her parents.
I really hate it when a parent comes in and tells me that when their child misbehaves at home they usually say that they will tell Mary and she won't let you go to playgroup. How bad is that?

Well now you know what to tell the parents when they say that Mary - I know I certainly will! :o

Maz

aka the telling off teacher