Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Live Minibeasts!

Hello!

Am doing a lesson on minibeasts next week and would like to take a selection of them into class. Just a couple of things though - do I need to do a risk assessment for this and are there any guidelines as to what they need to be in somewhere that I have to follow?

Also, other than looking in my garden, is there anywhere I can get them alive?

Apologies the mind has gone blank this morning - again!!!!

Thank you

L

PS Just contacted Insect Lore and have to wait at least a couple of weeks!

Edited by Guest

Warwick technologies here

Dont know how soon you could get them though. I dont think tehre would be any risk assessments to carry out. I had catterpillas from them, they came in a pot with all the food they would need. Afte they have turned into moths/butterflies you release them the same day. It was great to watch. Not sure what other creatures they have.

green gardener is where we got our caterpillars from, may be a bit late to order for next week but could be worth a call

When we did this we asked children to bring in the insects etc to look at.. Parent had great fun with children finding them to bring in, one dad telling us all about his son making him chase a spider all round the garage.. it was huge...we had all sorts, made a worm farm, snail home and generally a wide variety.. Parents becme involved as one brought in giant snails.

We also went to local zoo (Bristol Zoo for us ) and asked if they did anything and they came in with cockroaches and tarantula , they were good as they had the children enthralled in a story about going on a magic carpet ride to search for creatures in the floor of a rainforest.

Probably not enough time to sort or find out if anything locally like that , maybe worth thinking about in future though..

we made sure hands well washed afterwards..

Inge

My husband is a science teacher and has giant african land snails. They are constantly laying eggs! Very easy to clean. They live in a small fish tank of peat and eat rabbit food and cuttlefish as well as usual greens. If you're interested pm me and I'll see if he can get some to you. Stick insects are also really good, the children in my setting loved them and were really careful when handling them.

Hi Lullahs,

We regularly bring in mini beasts from the garden, we may dig up a small area, or we "flick" the little devils into a small tank with lid by using a paintbrush (particularly for the squeamish) amongst us. When back inside, we put everything onto a large white tray and see what crawls out, plenty of ooohs and ahhs and descriptive language. We do allow the children to handle but only under supervision and have a good handwash afterwards.

We have also had a company called ZooLab visit, their representative brought in a number of things that wriggled and showed them off to the children, such as hissing cockroaches and tarantulas and African land snails etc. some of the things the children were allowed to handle others not. During the session, the children moved about like the wriggly things and learnt quite easy to remember facts.

Oooo Brilliant - thank you everyone! I'm going to try and have a dig around the garden over the weekend and see what I can find and have managed to find some plastic ones just in case!

I've also just had it pointed out to me by a friend why I wouldn't be able to get living butterflies and ladybirds through the post.... Ooops!!! :o

Guest lou73

Hi

I once ordered and used ladybird eggs. The children were very interested but they were very small!

Hi, Today our worm vermipods arrived and we have had a fantastic afternoon setting the eggs free from their protective layers. They come wrapped in clay like material and w ehad to soak them for 30 minutes, then rinse them before putting them into their nursery. The whole afternoon was like a big adventure and the children were absoluteiy transfixed. They helped with each proces and we took lots of pictures to help when painting the stage tomorrow. The highlight was a comment from one little boy that this term just gets more and more exciting and that the worm eggs were 100% precious. Wow did that help offset my current stress levels due to moderation!!!

Sadly the other school staff could not understand my excitiment so after school I carefully carried the worm hatchery to show everyone why it was so exciting and finally they understand how important this work is when you are in Reception. Just hope the stick insects arrive tomorrow!!

Nicky Sussex :oxD:(

Have you thought of adding another dimsension and making ladybird boxes and bumble bee homes? The ladybirds love lots of small garden canes joined togther. You could use mini hacksaws. This would also incorporate risky play by using this type of tool. You can then open up the topic for future re-visits to see who is using them and maybe add a hedgehog home in the Autumn. This would ensure that children also learn about the seaons. You could involve parents during a session of making the boxes or putting them in place. Another huge tick in Ofsted's box and EYPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations - I managed to find a few in the garden but ever since then I have been plagued by snails, greenfly and ants!! They alwys seem to be behind me!

I have jotted all the recommendations down and have made a huge note in my calendar for next year to order early!

Many thanks once again

Lx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)