Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Length Independent Outdoor Activities

Hi

I wondered what sort of independent outdoor activities you have done that have worked-well looking at measuring/comparing length.

It is for 4-5yrs olds, I am doing an adult led activity outside and want other activities that they can explore on their own.

Many thanks, in advance!

Tomorrow we are measuring how many children lying down on the grass makes 15m - which is the length of the whale shark in the book they were looking at today

Tomorrow we are measuring how many children lying down on the grass makes 15m - which is the length of the whale shark in the book they were looking at today

Let's hope it's not raining then!!!

Sunnyday

Well we'll be wet sharks then! hahaha

Have you got the children to estimate how many children it will take to make the 15m Cait? What a lovely activity!

Maz

Guest lou73

When we had read jack and the bean stalk i gave the children each a runner bean and they ran around measuring themselves and everything in sight with beans as a non standard measure. They really enjoyed it.

Chalking around their bodies and then measuring with cubes/bricks, then comparing their findings to their friends.

Finding objects that are longer/shorter than than (an object of your choosing). For more able they can find objects that are the same length.

I also did a mini olympics where the children had to jump from a given line and then measure how long their jumps were. How far they can roll/throw things. How far you can roll a tyre before it wobbles over. etc.

A few years ago before we took charge of the grass cutting we made a great chart 'who has found the longest piece of grass?' and stuck them on with sellotape. Great fun, and the caretaker got the hint!

A few years ago before we took charge of the grass cutting we made a great chart 'who has found the longest piece of grass?' and stuck them on with sellotape. Great fun, and the caretaker got the hint!

Great ideas Rufus, Thanks a lot. Would you mind telling me how you then assess or record what the children do, we are trying different methods at the minute!

Well it was 14 but the one at the end refused to lie down and be eaten!

How very unreasonable!

What about measuring shadows? Working together to measure their own or measuring shadows of fixed objects. You could extend it by measuring at different times of day and comparing the results......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)