Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-schoolers Leaving Boooo Hooo!

hello,as many of you know,I work in a private Day nursery within a Pre-school room!!as we were discussing transfer forms today and our preschool party and final trip of the year as a sort of farewell-it actually brought a tea to my eye thinking that all my key children will have left by Septemeber a lot will be gone in June!!

As I am new to this line of work ie 8 months bt love every minute,it really makes me sad to thinkthey will all have left soon!!!

I know the children can come and go!!just wondering from those a lot more experienced,how do you manage!!

ie do you speak to children about leaving

when they have left-do you just go back to normal and get on withthings

also what have you planned for the upcoming months

ie are youhaving a graduation party

farewell trip

party??

aw sad times xxalso how are you going to be filling in transfer forms any tips thanks

Eclmmcca xx

Edited by eclmmcca

I know exactly how you feel - there are some really 'special' children that become so much part of my life I can hardly bear to 'part' with them.

I don't talk to them at all about them leaving unless they mention it - I always reassure them that I will still see them when they go to 'big school' when I'm picking up my Grandson. (I do 4 out of 5 school pick-ups for him)

We have a Teddy Bears Picnic on our last day of term!

We always get 'showered with' lovely presents and cards - I never, ever read the cards until I get home - in case they make me cry (they always do!).

We are so lucky to be part of these children's lives while they are with us and I hope we give them the best possible pre-school experience and send them off well-equiped for 'school life'.

Sunnyday

We've got some children who have been with us probably more of their waking lives than with their parents (well it feels like it) two of the 'top girls' are like additional members of staff - They love to help and are great buddies to new starters, they fetch and carry, pass messages to staff inside/outside clear tables and wipe them down, set tables, count children, look after little ones, help with coats, shoes, wellies, get toys out and put away - I've been sorely tempted to buy them our 'uniform' tops! Now, I REALLY don't know what I'm going to do without them after 2 years of this! They have been with us since November 06 and are part of the furniture! So there''ll be tears all round I think! I've been at the preschool 18 years and this will be the only time I've felt like this, usually by the summer term they get to a point where we are ready for them to leave as they've 'grown out' of us

I always really miss all my key children, but this year I have one I will miss more than any other over the years (all 11 of them). She came in with no self confidence, sat on my lap and cried for the first 6 sessions, made herself very sick everytime we did something slightly different, followed me everywhere, even used to sit outside the toilet while I went in to the loo!! But through lots of hard work on both our parts she is a very happy confident child and one of the most popular children in the preschool!! She is a lovely girl and I will miss her soooo much, but the new intake will soon take my mind off her. :o:(xD

We have been talking about going to school for ages as it often comes up in conversation. we have lots of children who will go to different schools so there is a lot of preparation to do. after half term we start to read all the books about starting school, arrange visits to schools, or have the teachers come to visit or both. we have role play/dressing up in school uniforms. We make a chart of who is leaving and which school they are going to.

I find that there are always some children you think you will miss muchmore than others but actually along come another 'favourite' few and the cycle starts over again. I was a nanny for 14 years and had many close bonds which infact are still intact. It pains me to say but I am friends on facebook with some of my old charges, they tracked me down, but I can't bare to look at what they are getting up to now!!!

I do say to our children when they are being great helpers or we've had a great chat, that we will really miss them when they go to school and I don't know what I'll do without them.

I am lucky in that most of our children go to the school next door. We use their playground alot and I often pop in to chat to the teacher. I feel like a film star in the school as the foundation class and year one all know my name and shout hello when they see me.

I think it's something you get used to, as well as thinking you will miss ceratin children and perhaps you might not miss others so much, there will be a 'replacement' along before you know it. Hopefully they will remember us as long as we remember them.

i too always have a few tears at the leavers party - there are always bets on who wil shed the first tears and i ama laways the favourite and i dont usually fail .

i am fine until its time to say goodbye and give the leaving book to the children some i can do with no tears (and possibly a sigh of relief) but some bring a tear to the eys and the odd one tears - i had a lovely girl last year who like shiny's little girl followed me,would only speak to me etc and with lots of hard work she became a confident happy little girl - however at the leaver party she came up asked me to kneel down and gave me the biggest hug saying "i will miss you sooo much" she gave me a pair of ear -rings saying "can you wear these as i got them specially for you" - i just hugged her and walked.

did return few seconds later for another hug thiugh

I always a had a few tears in the summer, some of joy! Did I really say that? :o

The one who almost made me sob uncontrolably was a lad who every morning would come in looking glum and every morning my response was the same, I would say to myself loudly 'Hello Rea, I'm happy to be here' but he'd just scowl and go inside. On his last day he held a present out to me and said 'hello Rea, I'm happy to be here'. I couldnt answer for the tears.

Just be sure that even though you're sad to see them leave you've prepared them well to face the next steps along lifes highway and I bet they will always remember you and have lovely memories of their time with you.

Every change over has me in tears. Not just with the children leaving but also because you remember how far they have come in just a few months or years. The selective talker, who chatters away now; the child who refused to get messy now up to their eyes in gloop etc. The parents are often in tears which then starts me off!

We always did a Graduation Ceremony and a Farewell Concert. As I was leaving last year we had an end of term trip taking all the families, that was superb. We also have a leavers party.

Every year I vow I not to get so upset but I always do. :o

awwwwwit's so sad isn't it!!especiallybcause youknow you will never see some of them again especially as all theleavers are my keychildren too.We've built such strong relationships with them.When you goon a course and hear they have been asking where you are!!

They are so so special!some are loud and boiseterous!some quiet,some shy but are settled with you!!some of them are sooo ready for school-able to tidy up without being asked,helpng children withcoats,lining up,concentration etc !!

It melts your heart by the things they say to you like i love you,can yiu come to my house etc that they hold you so special in their heart!!!

But the next stage is coming and is right to prepare them for what is happening!!!!It just reassures us we are doing a good job and willmiss them dearly!!

which is why I aim to make the next few months evenmore exciting and special to support them through this transition!!!X

Edited by eclmmcca

We lose 49 children to reception in July but because we are on the grounds of the primary school we see most of these children all the time. It's lovely to see them growing up, getting taller and more confident but still shouting out 'hello' or giving you a hug as they pass by in the dining hall. :o

We don't do parties or graduations but do talk about moving up if the children want to.

Great teachers in Reception at the moment. This is the first year that they have invited our children to go for a prolonged visit to participate in some activities and to get the 'feel' for the change. Looking forward to that.

hello,as many of you know,I work in a private Day nursery within a Pre-school room!!as we were discussing transfer forms today and our preschool party and final trip of the year as a sort of farewell-it actually brought a tea to my eye thinking that all my key children will have left by Septemeber a lot will be gone in June!!

As I am new to this line of work ie 8 months bt love every minute,it really makes me sad to thinkthey will all have left soon!!!

I know the children can come and go!!just wondering from those a lot more experienced,how do you manage!!

ie do you speak to children about leaving

when they have left-do you just go back to normal and get on withthings

also what have you planned for the upcoming months

ie are youhaving a graduation party

farewell trip

party??

aw sad times xxalso how are you going to be filling in transfer forms any tips thanks

Eclmmcca xx

Hi its going to be extra sad one for me this time round :>( i,ve been working at the pre_school for ten years so i ve seen many children come and go , and have watched them from the pre school window out in the big play ground , to see them look up at me and give that big beam of smile as if to say look julie i,m ere and having fun . Well they will be no more of julie looking out that window giving them resurance i,m not far away ,. julie is leaving due to moving away from the area , i wont only just miss the children i will miss most of all u deb , i belive we ,ve always been there for each other i always will be , know you will be for me . As you say i,m irreplaceable deb i know finding someone like you work with again will be to .I wish anyone else who are on to pastures new all the best x

The children all leaving this september started Pre-School just after I started working there so I have been key-person to some of them for the last 3 years so this year is going to be awful saying goodbye to them. We have arranged a zoo trip for the whole pre-school in june then we will have all the "leavers" in on the last day for a summer party - ice cream van is even coming :o

I have changed transition this year though so the staff will be with them on their first day at school and we will also keep visiting them regularly for their first year at school xD

Guest MaryEMac

I have had 23 years of saying good bye to children as they leave us to go to school. Luckily we are now on the school site and the reception play area is outside our window. The children always give us a wave and a smile when they are outside. Those that I said good bye to several years ago are now bringing their children to the playgroup.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)