Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quick Query ....anyone?

We have had a qualifications person to the setting and she has told us that for the sessional site of our setting (9.30-12.15 daily) we won't need an EYP - becuase it is sessional there is no deadline for us to have an EYP in situ? For the other site where the preschool section is 3-4 year olds, the sessions run all day for three days 9.30 - 3.00pm and she has said for this setting we will need an EYP by 2015.......I thought it was all PVI settings by 2015 regardless of sessional care or daycare? :o

Any help?

We have had a qualifications person to the setting and she has told us that for the sessional site of our setting (9.30-12.15 daily) we won't need an EYP - becuase it is sessional there is no deadline for us to have an EYP in situ? For the other site where the preschool section is 3-4 year olds, the sessions run all day for three days 9.30 - 3.00pm and she has said for this setting we will need an EYP by 2015.......I thought it was all PVI settings by 2015 regardless of sessional care or daycare? :o

Any help?

Hi - yes I think that is the right info. - I have always been confident that as a sessional pre-school we wouldn't be affected - hope not anyway - far too old to start anymore training!!!

Sunnyday

It does say an EYP is required in all daycare settings by 2015 which wouldn't include sessional care (i work in one of these two) however it would be good practice to have an EYP.

samfrostie

Can I pose another query - then as there is no such thing as sessional / daycare registration any more how would this work?

Last month had Ofsted inspector out as we have a building modification - and told I can open whatever hours I want now as certificate is just blanket coverage....(always been sessional, but could open whatever I like as long as not over night)

So who / how will we decide who needs an eyp and who not

Just to add that I was under the same impression about not needing one for sessional although I have read two things recently which just talked about "daycare" settings and did not seem to differentiate between sessional and full day care. But that might have been poor writing rather than changed policy.

It does say an EYP is required in all daycare settings by 2015 which wouldn't include sessional care (i work in one of these two) however it would be good practice to have an EYP.

samfrostie

Can you share where it says this? I am happy to be corrected :o The quote I gave came from an EYP website.

Our local improvement advisors told it would be good practice for us to have an EYP, looks like that well could be me then :o

Edited by samfrostie

According to 'Next Steps for Early Learning and Childcare - Building on the 10 year Strategy' 2009

"To demonstrate the importance we attach to attracting, developing and retaining a high quality workforce, we will also consider making it a legal requirement that every full daycare setting has a graduate from 2015"

So it sounds like they've not fully decided, to me. :o

personally i think they will want an EYP in every setting eventually :o

I agree with you I think they will as well BUT (and it's a big but) who is going to pay for one in every setting?

So what they want and what they get may be two very different things xD:(

I agree they will eventually want an EYP in all settings. I think they will have to set a longer period of time to do it though especially for people that will need to do a degree first--another thing for people to add to there 'to do' list.

samfrostie :o

If we get a change of Government I suspect everything may change anyway - or is that just me being cynical!?

Well there's always the risk of that - but I like to think that so much has been invested in EYPS that it is a bandwagon that a change of government won't be able to stop.

However, that said even if the commitment to have an EYP in every full daycare setting by 2015 is amended or dropped, I and my setting have gained so much from my doing EYPS that it will have been worth it!

I would encourage anyone who is considering it for the long term to do it now whilst there's no pressure!

Maz

Well there's always the risk of that - but I like to think that so much has been invested in EYPS that it is a bandwagon that a change of government won't be able to stop.

However, that said even if the commitment to have an EYP in every full daycare setting by 2015 is amended or dropped, I and my setting have gained so much from my doing EYPS that it will have been worth it!

I would encourage anyone who is considering it for the long term to do it now whilst there's no pressure!

Maz

Oh apologies Maz - I didn't mean to cause offence - it is of course a fantastic qualification.

Sunnyday

Oh apologies Maz - I didn't mean to cause offence - it is of course a fantastic qualification.

No need to apologise sunnyday - I'm not at all offended! I think it must be a great source of comfort to leaders to know that not all settings will need an EYP to begin with - it takes a lot of hard work on the part of the candidate, and the setting has to put up with a lot when they are 'growing their own' graduate/EYP.

Things change though in early years and there is nothing certain - I remember doing my Foundation Degree and being told that I would be a Senior Practitioner when I completed. That died a death because EYPS took over as the main focus for continuing professional development for Level 3s because of the Government target to have a graduate led workforce.

I'm well aware that it might all change and have been from the outset - so I did EYPS for me and the knowledge it would bring. The fact that my setting would meet the target six years ahead of schedule was an added bonus! :o

Maz

As far as I'm aware my OU FDEY does give me the right to call myself a Senior Practitioner, and it says so on the paperwork that accompanied my certificate. I'm aware that this isn't the same as EYPS, but it's a start. The FDEY was intended to give us EYPS when it was unveiled, but, as you say, the goalposts were moved when the Government decided it should be a full degree plus 'top up'

As far as I'm aware my OU FDEY does give me the right to call myself a Senior Practitioner, and it says so on the paperwork that accompanied my certificate. I'm aware that this isn't the same as EYPS, but it's a start.

I didn't mean to say that the Senior Practitioner title was no longer valid or worthwhile Cait: just that by the time we'd got to the end of the Foundation Degree there was something else to dangle in front of our noses to keep us on the learning treadmill!

We were talking today about job titles and I think Senior Practitioner is a very good description of your role within your organisation - the senior practitioner in the team who is responsible for leading the others. Most parents probably won't understand that you need a certain level of qualification to call yourself a Senior Practitioner, any more than they really understand what an EYP is. But that doesn't devalue your achievement and how hard you worked to earn the privilege of the title.

Maz

I also agree with hali and samfrostie that EYP's will eventually be wanted everywhere...from what I have researched over foundation degree (and please correct me if wrong) with the Ten Year Strategy, ECM (and subsequent government plans for early years) came a workforce redevelopment plan with the aim of having a graduate-led workforce just like many other countries worldwide have.

This is obviously a BIG target to achieve in one go so I assume the 2015 target is a stepping stone to achieving this and consequently raising standards and outcomes for children. I perceive that all the seemingly abundant funding and continuous subtle (ahem) promotion of cpd through foundation degrees and EYP is to open doors and windows for everyone- the majority of people on my foundation degree course planning to continue to EYP training are based in sessional care PVI. If EYP was only available to those in daycare then it probably would not appeal to so many people- I certainly would have continued my quest for QTS rather than changing to EYP which potentially would have taken me away from daycare and sessional settings

Hope that has brought another perspective... just to confuse you :o

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken