Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More Staff Or More Salary

I have to decide whether to replace a member of staff that has left or to use her salary to increase other staff salaries.We are well within ratio even without the extra staff member.Staff are leaving because they can earn more else where but they dont want to have more keychildren each as they say they will not be able to keep up with the paper work.

How many key children per full time staff member do you think works?

Has anyone else solved this problem

Ta

My staff have anything from 6 to 10 depnding on their experience they get paid an extra hour for paper work and have a half hour every morning to do any.

i think you also need to ensure you are ok if there are staff off sick etc - would you still be within ratio - if so then i think it would be good to share out her salary or you might be in this situation again in a few weeks or months time and then have to find a new member of staff which might be hard if as you say the wages arent good.what sort of wage do you offer and what type of setting are you ?

also have you compared your wages to others local to you - do you know a leader/ manager that you could ask for details of wage structure - you might be surprised that other settings offer less than you do.

also promote the positives of working at your setting with remaining staff which could include wages .

hard decision , we decided to keep staff to a minimum, which was not the same as minimum ratios , we were always over ratio often well over , this allowed one member of staff off sick etc and still remain in ratio...

but rather than employ additional staff we decided to pay the current ones an extra hour per week non contact time for doing the 'paperwork' associated with the key worker . we had 8 up to 15 key children each, and once in place and set up the paperwork updating each week actually was manageable

If unsure you could introduce an incentive scheme, allowing you the option of hiring more staff at a later date if the need arises, but meanwhile giving bonus , ours was extra weeks pay in summer and Christmas above our usual salary.. it was stated that this was only if we could afford it. this allowed us to pay extra if we had it in the pot, and if we needed the extra staff everyone understood that the bonus would vanish..

Inge

I think you should start by asking the staff if they want more hours or not. If staff are leaving littleanna because they want to earn more, it makes sense to offer the extra hours to them.

From a personal level , I am forever saying we need another member of staff because I just don't want extra hours, nor do my colleagues. We don't mind covering now and again, but don't want it permenantly.

I have to decide whether to replace a member of staff that has left or to use her salary to increase other staff salaries.We are well within ratio even without the extra staff member.Staff are leaving because they can earn more else where but they dont want to have more keychildren each as they say they will not be able to keep up with the paper work.

How many key children per full time staff member do you think works?

Has anyone else solved this problem

Ta

The only issue that might cause a problem is where you decide to "increase the staffs salaries" and then find that you got it wrong and needed the extra member of staff after all! If this happened it would be very difficult to reclaim the increase in pay from the staff.

Then I think you need to put it to a staff meeting with all the facts and figures for them, and let them decide what to do for the best

Great advice there from Cait - that's exactly what I would do - do let us know what you decide.

Sunnyday

good idea to put it to the staff the problem we have with fewer staff is there is little or no flexibility when staff are sick or on courses

We are the same. We are full to bursting after Easter with 24 children each session but I do think that the ratio of 3 staff to 24 children is not enough. I'd love another staff member just to take the pressure off.

We have 11 keychildren and are paid 2 hours a week to maintain their files and learning journeys.

Cait is right though.......may be better if your staff have a say in your decision.

Good luck! :o

I would definitely ask their opinion but ultimately it has to be your decision, littleanna since it is your name above the door, so to speak!

If your staff are working 40 hours then is it safe to assume that they already have non-contact time to complete learning journeys etc during the day? For us having an extra staff member means the staff should not be taking files home to analyse observations etc and like you we are well within ratio without the extra staff member.

I think goose raised a really good point about making sure the 'pay rise' is sustainable over the long term, and having some kind of contingency for the future if an extra staff member becomes a necessity. Perhaps Inge's suggestion of a bonus-type scheme might be a good compromise to recognise when staff are all undertaking extra responsibility when the nursery operates with one fewer staff member.

I'll be keen to know what you decide to do!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)