Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Powder Or Ready Mixed!

probably a daft question but could anyone tell me what type of paint they use? i'm sitting doing my order for the next term and looking at bottles of paint!! we have always used ready mixed in assorted colours and end up with loads of black and white bottles!!, but i was wondering if it would be more cost effective to buy powder paint?

As you ponder the great question by debatwrittle - can I ask a paint question as well?

Where can you find a red paint that does not stain - I had to throw my powder paint this term as it stained the community centre floor so badly it took us 6 weeks to remove the patch.

Thank you

we used powder, mixing it to the required consistency using cellulose paste, and adding a dash of washing up liquid.. depending on the purpose or area we were using it in we could vary it .

we did buy a few ready mix to try them, but found it was used very quickly, and needed replacing often, in our case the large tubs of powder tended to last the year, and we often only bought the colours we needed.

you just need to teach everyone how to mix it without lumps and how to get the different consistency..

Mine always turned out light and fluffy,

Inge

Hi sorry cant answer the powder/ready mixed debate as Ive never tried powder .I usually use ready mixed and really like ELC stuff as it washes off hands easily

one to AVOID

CRAYOLA CHILDRENS READY MIXED WASHABLE PAINT

It doesnt even wash off hands !!! :o

When I emailed them to complain I was politely told that the children should have used an applicator !!!! (ie a brush!!) that it wasnt suitable for hand painting!!

I replied and said that the children had used brushes but the paint still managed to get on their hands and mine !!!thats what happens when children paint !!

I ve yet to get a reply!!!!! xD

We always use ready mixed. We order large 5 litre green, red, yellow, white and blue and also the 1 litre packs of multi colours.

If you have an excess of white just mix it with other colours for pastel shades. With the black, out children love to use this with tiny brushes on large white paper, welly boot printing, sponge printing and hand printing (mix with some fairy up liquid it makes it easier to wash off things) on bright white paper for an excellent contrast. :o

We are always very hort of white paint at ours!! xD

probably a daft question but could anyone tell me what type of paint they use?

We use ready mixed I'm afraid - but powder is probably cheaper and there are lots of learning opportunities for mixing the powder!

Where can you find a red paint that does not stain

Crayola do a genuinely washable paint. We use it at the children's centre stay and play and the parents say it definitely washes out.

Maz

PS just noticed janice 116's comment. Bit odd this because one of my jobs after the stay and play is to wash the brushes/sponges etc when we've been using this paint. It hasn't ever stained my hands... :o Wonder if we're talking about the same stuff...

Edited by HappyMaz

I actually always had ready mixed, powder and cakes! I just liked having different paints for choice of texture/use etc. I did tend tio have primary colours + b/W so we/the children mixed other colours as needed.

Cx

Galt seem to do one, but I've not tried it so I can't say how washable it really is! We use the 2 gallon readymix in primary colours plus green, children mix their own colours from this

I agree with Janice about the Crayola stuff - we had some blue Crayola paint (may have been left over from some while back as we had no other colours in that range) and it certainly stained everyone's hands!!!

I've done a bit of personal research on paint stains (I have a bit of a thing about getting out stains!!)

On enquirng many years ago - I was told my 'red paint' problem was due to using 'detergent'(which I was told 'sets' the paint) rather than 'soap', so now when mixing powder paints we no longer put washing up liquid in, and recommend to parents just rubbing any stains with a cheapo bar of pure-soap before washing.....works wonders. Never tied putting soap flakes in the mix though.

That said, of late we've become lazy and tend to by ready mix, however nothing beat teaching children about colour mixing better than letting them help making the paints up.

Edited by louby loo

The pack I bought was a set of 4 red, blue green and yellow bottles and it said childrens washable paint and no mention of not getting on hands !! or only using with a brush!!

Crayola did suggest I used their "finger paint" for hands !

and that the stuff I had may take a few washes to get it off!!!

It took ages to get off hands and the children were going home with paint stained hands at the end of the day after painting in the morning, despite quite a few hand washes and wipes and I was nt happy with it still being on their skin

toddler group used the same stuff and they had the same problem and binned theirs

Crayola -which I thought would be a reputable make were quite off hand when I contacted them about it

we found hand sanitiser gel gets some of the stains out of hands and other surfaces, (not all stains) but it shifted some stuborn felt pen marks marks, i think its the alcohol in it works as thinners on the stains

I'm a great believer in powder paint. The children can mix their own colours and their reaction when they make a 'new' colour is fantastic. Powder paint and cellulose paste is the best finger painting activity ever, as the children get so much from all the 'science'.

As I now work supply I find it really funny when I see staffs reactions to the fact that I know how to mix powder paint! Powder paint often sits in cupboards because it takes effort to mix it when staff only have to sqeeze or pour ready mix. I've been known to give staff lessons on how to make paint from that powder 'stuff'.

Go for the powder, more mess, more fun, wider range of colours and much more economical.

I'm with you. The children quickly learn how to mix their own powder paints and the colours are so much more subtle than with ready mix. Easier to tidy away too. We have a hot and cold palette which makes an infinite variety of shades. If anyone is interested will give you the recommended shades to use.

Horses for courses though powder can't replace ready mix completely. Can't beat the coverage of that Crayola Readymix.

What an interesting discussion - thinking now that I have just got sort of 'locked in' to using ready mixed - if you know what I mean - am about to order some powder paint - don't want 'my' children to miss out on this experience!

Sunnyday

and thinking about it we also used the powder dry , we made shaker pots using the old style film pots (can you still get them, we went to photo developers and asked, got loads and still going for years!) children used the shakers like you would glitter

fluorescent powder was brill on black paper as was gold or silver

we aslo had the block paints

Inge

we use both...bought 5ltr containers of ready mix in the primary colours and 1 litre of white and black. We have pump fittings attached to control how much paint comes out so less wasted.

We buy powder paints also in primary colours only - We used to waste loads of powder trying to thicken it up - though found flour (and some salt to preserve) worked okay. Having finally found a supplier we add cellulose paste now which really helps it to go further and thickens it so it's just right.

Children normally help to mix it and we have also used it dry. It is very versatile though messy!

We had some purple powder paint that stained hands, tables and floors very badly - stains never did come off the white easel!

We get our paints from Hope.

many thanks for all replies i did purchase 5 litre bottles of primary colours last order but will give the powder paint a go too, i think the children will enjoy the different mixing process, as for mess bring it on :o !!!! i like the idea of pump fittings trekker i will invest in some of those too! Shiny we do use white as a mixer with all colours but hadn't realised how many bottles we had, i did a stock take the other day and we had 14 bottle stored away!!!!!(some was from before i took over) if you want some i'll drop it too you sometime!

Hi I use Crayola paint and I also use powder paint so the children can make their own paint. The children learn the sequence paintbrush in water, dab on sponge, paintbrush in the powder paint and mix in your tray. The children love making their own colours. Lindsey

I'm missing the point of cellulose paste????????

Is that because the colour density is the same whatever the ratio of powder to water? Is the cellulose just a thickener? Is cellulose paste wallpaper paste? Thought wall paper paste was a no-no because of the anti-fungal they put in it?? mmmm

thankyou - confused (Brighton)

pw

cellulose paste is like wall paper paste , a water based glue, we also use it in craft are for sticking paper , cheaper than PVA. no it does not have a fungicide in it and is cheap if bought in bulk.. or large packs..

It comes in powder form and we made up a small amount to make the glue up in a tub to use over a couple of weeks, or longer sometimes.

It allows you to mix up the paint to any consistency, colour remains the same density, but just mixing powder and water in a pot takes loads of paint and still ends up not right. Mix it with the paste and add water to get consistency you want from stand a spoon up in it , or moussy and fluffy if adding soap in some form, or thin and runny. It also says put on any paper, and our children add other bits to the painting such as paper or small items and it sticks as well.

Have also made a translucent 'paint' using the paste and food colour, looks good on white paper..

Inge

forgot to say been using this for all my pre-school years... tried ready mix and always return to powder for most of the time. even staff have asked to return once as they preferred the variety from powder , as did the children often choosing the thicker paints which give depth and texture to the picture over the thinner ones.

Edited by Inge

we don't have any problem with paint falling off paper , suppose it depends on how much you fold it, but it does stay put unless you fold the paper in lots, even then it tends to stay in place.

Inge

colour remains the same density

I haven't found this. I think the density weakens the more cellulose you use and takes longer to dry.I've tried for many years adding dry cellulose or making up the cellulose first. Cellulose certainly stretches out the paint budget as you are not adding expensive paint powder to thicken.I think there is a place for ALL types of paint. I use ready mix for ease, small amounts in palette for fine details and when we want the depth of colour, powder paint in easel (basic provision) with cellulose for economy, when texture is required, large areas and paint mixing. We use block colours in a basic provision table top paint station and also for paint mixing.

We bought one set of small ready mix bottles and large bottles. The small bottles are easier for the children to access and we top up from the large bottles (always a que of small hands for top up duty as it makes a rude noise). We can also buy big bottles singularly in the colour ratios required.We like the ready mix skin tones and fluorescent colours.

Its more economical to buy dry paint in big buckets but excess and handling can be difficult.We used to have a parent who worked in a sweet shop so she kitted us out with plastic jars and we use spoons. We usually add a squirt of washing up liquid but will try liquid soap or soap flakes and see if that helps stainning.On hard surfaces stains I wipe with milton solution (tesco own brand) but that wouldn't work on textiles.A small blob of PVA to power paint will help adhere to a gloss surface like a cornflake box so use for model painting. The PVA will also leave a glaze affect so good for painting clay or salt dough models

White paint is always the worse for flaking on dry paintings. We always provide in basic provision a selection of brush thickness, pencil and white crayon, red yellow and blue (unless theres a reason to paint) white and small amount of black paint, choice of paper sizes and colours and a water pot. .