Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What The Ofsted Inspector Looks For

I attended the Ofsted Outstanding Provider Conference yesterday and the Inspector I sat next to volunteered this information...

The first thing she looks for when inspecting a childminder is a homely environment and a childminder who is genuinely interested in the children.

Since EYFS was introduced childminders are doing TOO much paperwork! (Tell me about it!)

She asks that we PLEASE stop photographing the childs every move and carry on doing what we do best - providing opportunities to learn through play in a home setting!

SEF - this is NOT compulsory, NOT for the Inspector's benefit, and does NOT make the Inspector's job easier!

Apparently she's seen some that would make her reconsider a judgement she's previously given. As long as you can show - by discussion, review diary or other means - that you assess what you do, what has worked well, what you'd do differently and why THAT'S ENOUGH!

The SEF is intended to be a tool for us to use to give us ideas on how to reflect on our practice.

Other Inspector's present said the same thing - it was worth taking a day off work for this alone! My uncompleted SEF form is back in the drawer :(

Everyone, from Zenna Davies (Ofsted Chairman) to all the Inspectors were supportive of the role we play, the impact we have on young children's lives and , having listened to the views of those present, acknowledged that they have some way to go to make sure that EYFS and the SEF are fully understood and aren't intimidating.

Good News all round xD (and we each got a goody bag with an Outstanding Provider mug and badge :o )

Nona

Hi Nona

glad you enjoyed the conference -were there many there?

Please can I order that inspector for my next inspection!!!!!

wonder if the non attendees will get a mug!!!!? :o

anything else interesting to report?

This ties in with my inspection, she was more interested in how I interacted with the children and the activites and experiences I provided more than anything else. Yes she wanted to see how I delivered the EYFS and that my paperwork was completed, but what you do with the children is always the most important thing. I had completed a SEF which she used during the inspection. My observations, assessments and planning are child based and low key. The inspector thought they were great.

So, keep your paperwork up to date, keep planning and obs simple and to the point and most of all, keep enjoying the children!

Diane

Sounds a bit like something we all but dream about xD Great news if this is to be our Ofsted Inspections

in the future. As you say Cait, perhaps we can all have a bit of a break this Easter. Cracking news :o

dottyp

Guest pamgreen

I also attended the outstanding providers conference yesterday. It was very informative and it was good to meet other providers.

It was an interesting and informative day, without feeling you had to be on your best behaviour or wtach what you were saying at all times!

There were tabled discussions on

Q1 what are the secrets of your success?

Q2 how will you stay outstanding under the EYFS?

Q3 how do you provide the best possible support for children from disadvantaged groups?

The responses to these will be produced in booklet form and will be available on the Ofsted site.

The handout also included extracts from Leading to Excellence, Safe & Sound and Getting on Well.

Janice116 - may be worth a call to Ofsted to ask about the mug! :o There was one per setting so a few staffroom battles were anticipated in the Chiildren's Centres and Nurseries xD

Nona

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janice

I was unable to go to the conference so I contacted Ofsted and this is the reply I got.

We would be delighted to send you a mug, badge and bag - if you send me

your postal address I will get a set off to you!

Kind regards

Caroline Stringer

External Communications & Events Manager | Ofsted

Alexandra House, 33 Kingsway, London WC2B 6SE | Tel: 0207 421 5920 |

www.ofsted.gov.uk

I got the mug, bag and badge within 3 days, why not have a try.

Cherry

Edited by Guest

I was invited to this, but it was short notice and didnt want to let my parents down.

I think I will see if I can get a mug.

I must admit that having gained outstanding in my Ofsted Inspection though, I feel under pressure to stay outstanding, whatever that is!

Westbrom44 - I think we ALL feel like that! :o

From the discussions at the conference it was hard for anyone to define what they did that made them "outstanding" and that's what made it so hard to answer Ofsted's second question "what will we do to remain outstanding?"

More of the same with an equal or greater amount of passion, energy and enthusiasm was the general theme xD

Please phone Ofsted to ask for your goodies. Hopefully the more people who do and explain why they were unable to attend the more notice Ofsted will take - an evening conference may have been a better option.

Nona

I was invited to this, but it was short notice and didnt want to let my parents down.

I think I will see if I can get a mug.

I must admit that having gained outstanding in my Ofsted Inspection though, I feel under pressure to stay outstanding, whatever that is!

i know how you feel. i got outstanding in august 2006. it was both a joy and a curse. i have felt stressed since then and it is gathering momentum the closer it is getting to my next inspection. in hindsight, i would rather have got another "good" instead as i am sure it would be easier to maintain. you just know that other providers are waiting for you to fall flat on your face. :o

Hi

Very surprised to hear of the comments from the Inspectors. It doesn't seem to be

the case in my area. Many childminders have said that the Inspector wasn't

interested in the children at all and only concerned themselves with the paperwork.

I know what you mean about pressure after achieving Outstanding. I have gone

completely overboard on the paperwork - volumes of it. I wouldn't say my

practice is any better or even enjoyable now. I've had to cut down on the number of

children I mind because of University Assignments (Continuous Personal Development)

and the Outstanding status seems to be given out quite freely now. One Childminder

was given outstanding even though she is wheelchair bound and unable to run after

the toddlers/babies she minds. (without wishing to discriminate, this does seem to be

a safety issue especially when she goes to school).

Since we are all now following the EYFS things have got a bit silly. 'My children' made

four Mothers Day Cards, four Easter Cards and four baskets. They currently have three Learning Journals

and the Parents are being besieged with requests from so many different people for information

to add to these. Surely, Ofsted could have decided that if children are attending Pre-School,

Nursery or School then there are enough people doing Journals. (No-one seems to want to

share them and are all treating them like their own special project) I also have the added problem

that because the children now attend 5 sessions at Pre-school (9 - 3 on two days) I only have

an hour between 4 - 5 to fit in all the activities/observations etc that are required. I feel sorry for

the children as they are having no 'chill out' time at all and they are still only 3.

No wonder so many childminders are moving on to other things.

Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Laura

Goodness Laura! I'm exhausted just reading that!

I know what you mean though, We have a massive paperwork mountain and paper trail for each child without compounding it for parents!

Laura, I think we all feel swamped, particularly trying to keep up with Uni assignments too!

I've got 2 due 7 May and am only halfway through the first one. A week of late nights with lots of coffee and chocolate for me I think xD

I have however got a second year BTEC student on placement with me at the moment and she's told me to plan a day at home with the children tomorrow and crack on with my assignments leaving her to play with the children! What a star and what a tempting offer :(

If I knew that the children I was minding had 3 learning journeys each on the go I think I'd be very tempted to write to each of the other settings asking to share. Get them to sign to acknowledge receipt of your letter. If they're willing to share, great - you'll save some time and effort. If they're not, keep a copy of your letter and the receipt to show to Ofsted. On my SEF training last week we were told to pass on details of any settings that don't/won't work with childminders to Ofsted. They'll hold it on file and it will be taken into consideration when that settings inspection is due! :o

Nona

I cannot believe what happened this morning.

I came home to find a package on my doorstep. I opened it and found something wrapped in a cloth bag. It was my outstanding mug which I requested and it rolled out and smashed on the kitchen floor. I also found a badge.

I am really upset, do you think Ofsted would give me another!

and the Outstanding status seems to be given out quite freely now. One Childminder

was given outstanding even though she is wheelchair bound and unable to run after

the toddlers/babies she minds. (without wishing to discriminate, this does seem to be

I'm sorry, but I am extremely offended by this comment. The term you have used is highly discriminatory - I think you might need to attend some equal opportunties training. I can't imagine that the parents would have chosen this childminder to care for their babies and toddlers had she not been able to manage their needs. I hope I do not cause upset by this post but this is the second time the phrase 'wheelchair bound' has been used on this forum. Part of our role as educators of young, impressionable children is to ensure that they learn to have a positive attitude towards diversity. Terminology is extremely important in this. The social model of disability supports the notion that it is society that disables a person not the physical characteristics of a persons disablity and we, as a society need to enable people not disable them.

Yes, dcn. When I read that I thought it rather descriminatory. There is a mother at school who is confined to a wheelchair who does a wonderful job of caring for her children.

As you say, the parent of the children in the childminders care would not have chosen her if they didnt think she was perfectly able.

I have to agree with everything you have said.

One Childminder was given outstanding even though she is wheelchair bound and unable to run after

Laura

Hi Laura

Hope you don't mind me asking for a bit of clarification! I think sometimes when reading messages online it can be quite easy to inadvertantly mis-interpret the content which of course wouldn't happen in a face to face conversation.

I get the impression that you are suggesting that a childminder should not have been given an outstanding status by ofsted as due to her physical disability is unable to run after the children? I don't understand what you mean by safety issues when she goes to school. Sorry if I am having a 'senior moment' and hope you don't mind me asking :o

I do agree that it's easy to misinterpret posts in a way that you wouldn't in a face to face conversation - i know I have done this myself

Having cared for disabled children for nearly 15 years now I perhaps have more knowledge than some. Through the ongoing training I have received around diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities I am perhaps more aware than some of the respectful terminology to use. Generally, (obviously I can't speak for everyone) people who use wheelchairs prefer the term 'wheelchair user'. This is an enabling statement rather than a disabling one (such as wheelchair bound/confined to a wheelchair).

I agree that terminology is crucially important. I remember some time ago reading about Downs Syndrome and that people were dropping the 's' and referring to Down syndrome. The thinking was that by using 'Downs' it suggested that the syndrome belonged to John Langdon Down who first identified the syndrome whereas each person who actually had it was unique and 'it' was part of them. Some people think it's a step too far but I actually found it quite profound and it set me off thinking of all sorts!

I strongly believe that everyone is an individual 'first' and anything they may have/suffer from comes second.

This is where I think terminology can send messages and give either positive or negative connotations.

I would never refer to an autistic child, SEN child, disabled child - well I certainly try not to! I think it is nicer to say a child with autism, a child with SEN, a child with a disability etc etc. I agree that 'wheelchair bound' is an awful term and for me conjurs up horrible images, no one I know who uses a wheelchair is bound to it or in it!

Maybe it's me and I really don't mean to be pedantic but then again I cannot abide the use of 'kids' either, they are baby goats to me and always will be.

This topic ruffles my feathers on many counts - I'm in agreement with dcn, westbrom44 & Geraldine - my stepson uses a wheelchair and we all dislike the term "wheelchair bound".

LauraR's comment that this childminder was "given" outstanding also riles me - we all work incredibly hard to EARN our gradings!

AND

I know many childminders with no physical ailments who don't run around after the babies and young children in their care (preferring to sit chatting over coffee at toddler groups, stay & play etc without interacting with the children) and STILL have outstanding gradings but that's a whole new issue!

Ooh, you've set me off now :o

Nona

Yes, nona that post really rattled my feathers too!

Quite apart from the disciminatory comments there were the other comments too.

It is exactly the reason I dont mention my grading to other childminders, just my very close friends. I think others start judging you!

Hmm. Laura, seems like you touched a nerve when you seemed to suggest that a childminder couldn't function properly as a wheelchair user. Hope you're not too shocked at the reaction, but it's quite possible (as Geraldine suggested) that your comments were just not well articulated? In these health and safety conscious days I'm sure any Ofsted inspection would have required risk analysis, safety policies and so on, before even a Satisfactory, never mind an Outstanding, result was given.

Geraldine, I found your discussion about terminology very interesting. As dcn helpfully points out, the term 'wheelchair bound' is not favoured these days as it automatically implies a limitation, but certainly not everyone knows this - looking through past forum posts I found a reference from one member to her 'wheelchair bound' father. It takes time to change the use of particular terms, and the use of the term itself isn't necessarily derogatory.

For what my opinion is worth, Laura, I strongly disagree that there's any inherent reason why a wheelchair user shouldn't be just as capable a childminder as anyone else - after all, there are many many wheelchair users who have two or more children of their own - and if that's the case there's also no reason why they shouldn't also be outstanding childminders.

As a general observation, I always think of the community here as being hugely passionate, but also prepared to engage constructively with people who have a different point of view. If someone believes in something that is clearly wrong (for example, if someone joined the FSF and claimed that 'sparing the rod spoils the child'), surely the important thing would be to convince that person through the strength of their argument that they were wrong - rather than letting them know how outraged we were that they believed this?

Incidentally, A couple of people did suggest to me that I remove these posts - but then I wouldn't have been able to disagree with Laura's view, would I? :o

Steve, I'm glad you didn't remove the posts. (It wasn't what I had in mind when I started the thread but...)

They've sparked a passioante and heated debate at home as well as on here!

I now have a list of the terms my stepson and his brother and half-sister find the most offensive!!

In my daughter's class she is one of 5 pupils who have siblings who are wheelchair users and they've taken the discussion into school.

I think it's great that if even some of those 30 pupils take the comments on board and share their thoughts at home we're making a small difference and raising awareness of inclusion :o

Nona

Wow!

What a thought-provoking discussion.

It is fantastic for me to see these discussions taking place in such depth.

I have worked with people with disabilities on and off for the last 20 years and had this converstion in many formats with many people.

I have seen prejudice at it's worst and integration at it's best.

I have worked with parents who use wheelchairs and I have seen fantastic parenting. I have also sadly seen parents allowed to neglect their child because the "authorities" concerned were too scared of being accused of prejudice to intervene.

We cannot sit in judgement as to whether somebody is doing their job of childminder well. That is the role of the parents and Ofsted.

I feel strongly that our role is to challenge discrimination in a sensitive, constructive way which challenges the views which cause people to be disabled by our society.

Please continue to encourage this sort of conversation on the forum. It is the best way we can all learn to be inclusive.

At the grand old age of 83, my mother (since a stroke) is now a wheelchair user - she cracks us up!! She swears at it when it doesn't go where she wants it to ( :o ) has a killing turn on the dance floor ( xD )!! and now says, with some authority " I used to get really cross with those people in their wheelie chairs - now I know!"

For what it's worth, this is my reflection on how society, generally, regard mobility and the attendant considerations. My mum certainly isn't 'disabled' - apologies for using that term!!

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)