Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lack Of Knowledge And The Eyfs

Hi everyone, I'm new to this!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could offer my advice or support on the EYFS. I'm a manager in a private day nursery struggling with the eyfs in terms of planning. I have more than 20 girls and more than half of them have or are completing an NVQ, my opinion is that they lack knowledge i gained while studing for my NNEB (I know that not all people who complete an NVQ lack knowledge).

could anyone please explain or show me how they deliver the eyfs and could anyone help me with handouts etc so i could do a training session?

Please help

Thank you for your support

Jod x :o

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post.

There'll be loads of help coming your way.

Firstly though, I'm a bit confused by your statement "I have more than 20 girls and more than half of them have or are comlpleting an NVQ" I take it by 'girls' you mean staff?

Have you had any EYFS training at all? Have the 'girls' read and understood the cards in the pack and do you have any sort of Learning Journey/Story files for the children? What are you doing at the moment as regards delivering the EYFS?

We'll be happy to help, but we need a little info if you can, about your situation.

In the 'resources' section on the left there are loads of things which may be a useful start for looking, I know Maz had done a powerpoint presentation of the 6 areas of learning, which should be in there.

Thank you for your reply.

yes, I'm sorry i do mean my staff.

I feel that the staff do not have the knowledge and the confidence to make judgements and that they do not fully understand the EYFS and child development.

All my staff have attended the EYFS but it is clear that they do not understand.

At the moment children from birth to three use the same planning, observation and assessment format, which clearly is not working. From observation I have made and looking they work I feel a lot of forced learning is taking place, I have spoken to each memeber of staff one to one and its quite alarming to me that they do not understand child development child led and adult led activities.

i understand my reponsibility as a manager and that this failure may be down to me I have recognised my problem and now I am on the road to fix it? i myself did not fully understand the EYFS as i was concentrating on planning purely on interest

its really hard to explain, sorry

jod x :oxD

Our team have had a hard time getting to grips with the EYFS which for me was what I was already doing. I am now the manager and have enlisted help from LA and they will be doing an obs, planning, assessment cycle training session with us. I have 6 new staff starting over the next couple of weeks and only time will tell what their understanding of it is, when interviewed none of them could identify the ECM outcomes so I am not hopeful. Looks like lots of training and role modelling for me to do :o

Hi Jody and welcome to the forum - that's quite a workforce you have there.

My suggestions would include - seek help from your LA Early Years Team - Development Worker and Early Years Advisory Teacher, give staff adequate time if possible to read, read, read all E.Y.F.S. documents, seek training - I'm sure there must be plenty in your area - there certainly is in Kent, could you buy some reference books - have a look on Amazon.

Good luck with it all.

Sunnyday

Now I am going to stick in my twopennath... and I don't want to offend anyone but...

A NVQ is what it says.. a National Vocational Qualification - meaning a 'workbased' qualification. Students doing NVQs need to be supported by the workplace...... the Assessor is an 'assessor' and not a tutor! Yes assessors may set tasks etc, but much of the 'learning' should come from the workplace itself. So it's down to the workplace to arrange LA training, and do substanstial [s?] in house training events. etc.

I know some go to college one day a week, but this should only be seen as 'extra' to what they learn in the workplace and not the sole 'taught learning'content of the NVQ.

I think a lot of young people struggle doing NVQs because not being given the support they deserve (and need). Often being paid low 'training wages', but not really being given the full workbased training the NVQ route needs to be effective.

Ohpppss and sorry.......... welcome to the forum, you'll find lot's of support here to help with the training.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by louby loo

perhaps a bit more back to basics ans start with some child development training, this seems to be an area you have highlighted as missing..

then move onto eyfs.. and child based learning

perhaps set up a situation where you allow them to start something and then come along telling them it would look better this way and to change this or that.. some practical learning so they can understand the principles.

we had one sesion where we were given some paper to cut up and then all given scissors , but they were all left handed ones... made you aware of need for correct equipment etc.

Inge

an observation would be a good start, a place to think about making judgements and assumptions. A lot of EYFS is based on this so it's an important part of what we do each day. If they can do a good observation you will be able to take them to their 'next step' of using what they've observed in a meaningful way

we had one sesion where we were given some paper to cut up and then all given scissors , but they were all left handed ones... made you aware of need for correct equipment etc.

Inge

we had one where we had to link paperclips up wearing wolly gloves!

xxx

Guest Agyness

This training role is what the governenment is implementing in all settings by 2010. i.e. The employment of an EYPS -

- A postgraduate with early years experience is trained to lead practice.

- To take responsibility for leading and managing play, care and learning for Children, Practitioners, Families etc.

- To develop, introduce, lead and supervise development work.

- To act as a team leader and inspire others.

- To possess up-to-date knowledge and understanding of early year practices.

- To serve as a professional example to other practitioners.

- To help colleagues to develop and improve their practice; provide advice to other practitioners with practice related issues: One to one coaching, group sessions, planning an experience, reflecting on an activity.

New Zealand plans to have all practitioners with post graduate level by 2012. We are looking that way too..... Foundation degree day release in early years is available to all practitioners - contact your local college. Unfortunately many settings are not able to manage to pay salary for day release. Open University offers free Early Years BA studies and all other undergraduate studies to people whose household income is less than £15,000 so that should not much of a problem for many in Early Years! With an EYP in every setting by 2012 I would advise people to take advantage of the EYP impact and study for a degree in any subject you love or are interested in as the joy of learning at undergraduate level is liberating and tunes learning in all areas including appreciation of children's learning curves!

If I were to go to the trouble of selecting a mate to make a baby, quite frankly I would not be happy for my child to spend early years with a less educated person than myself. Most parents welcome the EYP.

Edited by Agyness

This training role is what the governenment is implementing in all settings by 2010. i.e. The employment of an EYPS -

Only Children's Centres must have an EYPS by 2010. Full day care by 2015.

Guest Agyness

Private settings with Ofsted outstanding rating are taking advantage of the value of an EYP in setting as GLF funding supplies a few extra £K for the salary of an EYP and a couple of £K for setting resources;~)

Guest Agyness

A new business model....? Hopefully by 2015 all Practitioners in Early Year settings will have been supported by their Employers to achieve their full potential.

Methinks the EYFS principles apply to all within Early Years settings, Staff and Children and Parents.

-Unique person

-Positive relations

-Enabling environment

-Learning and development

I am sure that well motivated, competent business managers can see this long view as a win - win situation.

At the OP points out time and expertise for training Practitioners is presently lacking and an EYP will alleviate training and development needs within all settings by 2015.

Edited by Agyness

I agree with what your saying but I do find it a struggle for me to train 20 girls as my early years team cannot offer me any training at the moment and i can not afford to sent them altogether during the day. I agree that they are completing a work based learning scheme but the girls should also complete their own reading to give them more knowledge.

yes like you I do feel that they do have a hard time for really not a lot of money, so if anyone can suggest any training programes I can do i would be thankful :oxD:(:(

A good friend of mine who is an ofsted inspector [i don't hold it against her : )] has said that this is evident in a lot of settings. The EYFS doesn't take in to account of the inexperience of a lot of younger staff/ newly qualified. They don't always have the experience or knowledge to plan next steps or scaffold children's learning. I currently have a student that comes into my setting and in her coursework she hasn't covered any child development.

hello Y24 JOD

read your post with interest. It's such a struggle when staff find it difficult to cover the fundementals of the EYFS and

I am there with you :o We booked an inhouse training course through a consultancy Agency given on a listing from

our local Early Years Advisor. It was a four hour session and covered introduction, observations, planning and moving

children forward (we could choose any area we felt the need for and discussed this with the trainer before the day)

It cost about £400 but all staff got lots of informative hand outs.

I also have an excellent book called Supporting Every Child's Learning across the Early Years Foundation Stage by Vicky Hutchin which I find very useful.

dottyp

Hi Dotty P

Thank you for your reply I'm so glad you know how i feel.

Thanks for your advice I will be looking into that training (but again its difficult as there is no money in our pot), but I will be getting that book it should help with all the reserch I have been doing!!

I wish I found this forum years ago its a really useful tool :oxD:(:(

Thank you and have a lovely Easter x

i agree my first port of call would be your eyat she should be able to do an inhouse

you do need to support your staff any short term suffering now will be a long term gain because investment in your staff will reap great rewards

they cant all be training what about running a buddy system with those that are GOOD, good being the operative word qualidfied staff to help them

real knowledge and understanding will come with using the document

the eyfs is not really different from the foundation stage

and what happens when the pot runs dry?

Exactly. Does anyone who is doing EYPS really knows what is expected of them. I would be interested.

Guest Wolfie
I also have an excellent book called Supporting Every Child's Learning across the Early Years Foundation Stage by Vicky Hutchin which I find very useful.

I too would thoroughly recommend this book - very practical, easy to read and full of useful top tips, from an author who really knows her stuff!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)