Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Inspection

Hello

:o

I am due to be OFSTED inspected this week and am prepared but was wondering if anyone has been inspected recently. I am hoping for a good.

It would be nice to hear from other childminders.

Thank you

The OFTSED inspector we had recently liked the fact that we had built close links with the childminder of one of our children. We have a book that goes between school and the childminder so that anything significant can be recorded for both practitioners records. Good luck x

Hi there Sooperrio

Welcome to the Forum - I'm in pre-school so I can't help much (although I am sure the childminders amongst us will be along soon enough to offer words of wisdom). In the meantime, have you looked at recent childminders' inspection reports? That might give you a good idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

Maz

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I haven't been inspected yet but have spent quite awhile poring over inspection reports - how sad am i :o

I agree with Kellys - they are looking for links you've made with others settings children attend or schools they move up to, another important element is your systems of self evaluation and also how knowledgeable you are about the EYFS and what that means for your practice.

They will also want to see how you risk assess your own environment and trips out.

the list goes on really but I would say these are the main new things

Hi & welcome!

Hope your inspection goes well!

Good advice given already, I'd certainly look through recent inspections in your area posted on the Ofsted site - especially useful if you can find any by the Inspector who's coming to you! :o

Let us know how you get on!

Nona

Edited by Guest

I am a childminder and last inspection was in November.

My inspector liked how I follow the children's interests each day rather than planning in advance. I was amazed as I was all ready to defend my retrospective planning philosophy. She thought it was exactly what the EYFS was all about.

I did make an effort to put lots in my SEF and that really helped me to make sure she saw or knew about everything I wanted to highlight.

She liked my links with other settings but I had not bothered to make links with other settings who share a four year old I have for two hours once a week after school. She was adamant that I needed to chart her progress and communicate with the school and the after school club about her too.

I also had not got a record of who has parental responsibility for and legal access to the child so I have added that to my contract since.

Hope this helps you.

I got all goods in the end.

Good luck!

What is coming up in area that the inspectors are picking up on;

effective safeguarding policy and that you have the relevant numbers and procedures according to you LSCB.

complaints procedure

inclusion policy and materials reflecting inclusion (diversity etc)

learning and development links (ie a learning journal)

detailed risk assesments

working in partnership with parents and other settings (or the attempts to)

i too look through inspection reports in my area via the Ofsted website! My inspection is due july time

if you look on the ofsted website there are guidances called Are you ready for inpsection and Leading to Excellence, there is another one which is called What the Inspector is looking for (or something similar to that)

• 3 weeks later...

I had my inspection this week and got all outstanding and good grades (with more outstanding than good) but got 'good' overall. She told me the main focus of inspections are safeguarding and diversity and inclusion at the moment. She did use the SEF I submitted beforehand and this meant she didn't spend quite as long with me but did check on some of the things I'd said. One thing she did say was that I should have consulted parents before completing the SEF to get their views. I had invited their comments (which they were happy to provide) but hadn't asked specific questions. I do think I shot myself in the foot a bit though by drawing attention to things I wanted to do in the future. She jumped on each and every one. Good luck with your inspection. I'm very glad mine is over.

I had my inspection this week and got all outstanding and good grades (with more outstanding than good) but got 'good' overall. She told me the main focus of inspections are safeguarding and diversity and inclusion at the moment. She did use the SEF I submitted beforehand and this meant she didn't spend quite as long with me but did check on some of the things I'd said. One thing she did say was that I should have consulted parents before completing the SEF to get their views. I had invited their comments (which they were happy to provide) but hadn't asked specific questions. I do think I shot myself in the foot a bit though by drawing attention to things I wanted to do in the future. She jumped on each and every one. Good luck with your inspection. I'm very glad mine is over.

Sorry just realised it has already happened. Can you tellit has been a long week?

Sorry just realised it has already happened. Can you tellit has been a long week?

Never mind - welcome to the Forum! And congratulations on your Ofsted!

Maz

Hello

:o

I am due to be OFSTED inspected this week and am prepared but was wondering if anyone has been inspected recently. I am hoping for a good.

It would be nice to hear from other childminders.

Thank you

hi there just read your message how did your inspection go?? i think its worse than taking an exam! i've been childminding for nearly 13 years and things were so much easier in the beginning.none of this ofsted stuff, just a nice chat with social services and a check on safety around the home.all i can say is i am so pleased they are 3 yearly as i would be even more greyer than what i am now over it all.Although they say just relax and go about your usual routine its very hard knowing you have someone watching your every move.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)