Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Awful Day

I feel like everything has gone pearshaped just now so knowing there'll be someone here who'll understand excuse me if I scream a bit.

We had two letters of complaint from parents yesterday (having never had any previous complaints to my knowledge) One was not entirely unexpected as the parent concerned had already had her say verbally over an un noticed dirty nappy at home time.

However the second was an allegation against a member of staff concerning an alleged incident over a month ago which was not mentioned at the time, involving not the complainants son but his friend. Completely out of the blue and very distressing.

While I was in the office dealing with these a third incident occurred where a child disclosed something which alerted my deputy resulting in having to contact social services. Again something we've never had to do before.

Hopefully that's it now we've had 3 things go wrong but for them all to happen on the same morning was just unbelievable. Today wasn't much better as we have the aftermath of 2 of the incidents to deal with. I want to go back to just being an assissant and playing with the children. Being a manager is getting too scarey. Or perhaps I'll just look for an entirely different job.

thanks for listening.

Oh whitetree! what an awful day! As you say, things go in threes, so that should be it for a while. It sounds as if you are dealing very professionally with what has been thrown at you. Don't dwell on it tonight, have a glass of vino and put your feet up. Time enough to think about it in the morning.

If you can, deal with the parents straight away, waiting can make them worse! If it were me I'd do the nappy one straight away as that seems the simplest and most immediate.

The second one I'd ask the parent in and ask why it took so long to report this issue as it makes it much harder for you to handle - throw the ball back to them and ask what they would like you to do about it. With both I'd start by saying that you understand that they are upset, but that you are anxious to work with them to resolve the matter.

Look at their body language and use your techniques to make them relax. You'll find that if you empathise initially and mimic their posture - in a more relaxed way and then open your posture they should copy you and become more relaxed and open to discussion.

hI white tree

They say it never rains but it pours - hope u r ok?

Dont give up. You are doing the right thing with the social services thing. A dirty nappy, well I should think a big apology should have sorted that, and is this other person just jumping on the bandwagon for having a moan up??

These things are sent to try us !!

Take care

Nat74

Getting a complaint a month after an incident is supposed to have happened is rather a long time to have left it! Presumably no one has spoken to you about it at all before this time? It's a little difficult to investigate I would've thought.

It does sound like you've had a terrible couple of days but as you said, these things are not run of the mill, so hopefully they're not things that will crop up again for a good while. Not that that helps whilst you're dealing with all the aftermath. :o

Look after yourself and feel free to come here and have a good old vent whenever you need to. xx

I am sure you will have thought of this but......

Please remember to report all allegations against staff to the relevant people, no matter how long ago, and document everything... including complaint form for setting, for all complaints.

we had one and I forgot to tell Local safeguarding children board, but had remembered Ofsted and Lea (who actually said they would do it.). just in case the parent decides to take it further....

ours was investigated by outside agencies, which sounds scarey, but with documented evidence from all , complaint was not upheld.....

Inge

Good advice as others have posted - we all have days like that every now and again, but I am sure tomorrow will be another and a wonderful day. dot :o

wow and i thought i'd had a bad day. A child nearly made our new interactive whiteboard (worth 5 and a half grand) skip worthy after 24 hours, inconsideratly whilst i was on the phone with a parent. I hope you feel better a problem shared and all that. have a good day tomorrow Ang x

Just wanted to say that I had a day from hell too. Sorry but too upset to share details at the moment- poor hubby is taking the brunt ( I'm giving him a break whilst the football is on) A few glasses of red and a big bar of choc is calling me.

WHITEREE YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS -(along with the other thousand things)

May be it's the full moon?????????????????/

I firmly believe this is the case! I was on supply yesterday and had a day full of misbehaving children. Always happens on the full moon!

To all of you that had awful days yesterday, I send many big hugs to you all and am thinking of you. Keep us posted! :o

Rosey x