Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mobile Phone Use Or Policy

cleverclowns

I just feel that personal mobile phones are not necessary in any work place. Having a no phones policy means that nobody can ever abuse the privilage.

That is quite right as long as it is left to the setting manager to make that decision as situations, staff and children can vary so widely.

I'm tempted to think this is more about being seen to be doing something on the part of the Early Years Development Team than about realistically reducing significant risks.

(Perhaps I am being too cynical)

Upsy Daisy I am inclined toagree with you. We have no landline so have to have a settings mobile, unfortunately and I hate it- but that's a seperate issue

I dont believe that having a 'no mobile' poicy will keep children any safer and like you would seriously object to our EY's coming in and telling us to have one. If a member of staff were that determined to abuse their position they would regardless of what policies we have.

we don't have mobiles in use in our setting....other than the one we take with us for emergency use on outings.

BUT....here's a thing................I was very angry, so what would YOU have said or done to this scenario: we were outside on our patio area with the children last week, making Rangoli patterns for Diwali.The patio is fully public, as we are on a public park, so lots of people passing by at any time. We were photographing the children making their patterns, when a lady of about 50-ish stuck her head over the fence and hissed at me.......'are you ALLOWED to take photos of those children??'......I was a bit startled, but said 'yes, we are, their parents give permission'..................and she walked off, only to turn round and shout at us...'well, I hope someone stops you, it's totally IMMORAL'!!....now, it was a cold day, we were in full public view, the children were wrapped up warm and dry as it was actually a rainy day.....what, I wonder, did she see that was 'immoral'?? I wonder what she'd have said if we'd been using a mobile phone to photograph them?? I have spoken to all of the parents of the children concerned, and each of them has told us they would be very angry with us if we stop taking photos......and that the woman was obviously just daft.........but it was quite upsetting.

Gosh Narnia - you must have been very shocked!

I would put this lady in the category of people who attack actors on the street because they object to the actions of a character they have played. Some people just have a very distorted sense of reality.

That is strange...........what on earth did she think you was immoral?!! some people are just odd.

I agree that the whole phone issue varies form setting to setting....i suppose sometimes its easy to think that every setting is similar to your own! I am just of the opinion that with anything if you have a blenket 'no' then it just makes life easier when it comes to new staff etc. I suppose a large part of it is to be seen to be doing the right thing but not only by the Early Years team but also by the parents.

we currently have all parents read and sign concent to having photographs of their children in displays and in other childrens learning journeys and i just hope that this wont have to stop! I have talked to people from other settings who have to blank out the faces of other children in learning journeys etc and i think that would be a real shame.

• 2 weeks later...

We were informed at college this week that one county, I think it was Herefordshire has now issued a ban on mobile phones in all settings.

Is there anyone in Herefordshire who can confirm this? If so I wonder if other counties will follow suit.

I am in Hampshire and all settings are being contacted by advisors to update their policies, stating that staff will turn off personal mobile phones during work hours. Our setting has a mobile phone as it runs from a village hall which doesn't have a phone, so a blanket ban would not be appropriate.

You know I am still of the opinion that this is just a knee jerk reaction. What good does it do for all staff to turn off their phones. or to have a blanket ban on them? I honestly cannot see it a a safeguarding issue. We have no landline so rely heavily on a mobile phone. Staff dont have phones on them, simply becuase they are paid to look after the children not talk on a phone. But I would object quite strongly to our LA insisting or advising us not to have them.

As a direct result of this discussion we have decided that all staff are to leave their mobiles on the side and not to have them on their person at any time. This is to safeguard them. If the phone is in your pocket and you are on a toilet run, you are putting yourself at risk of accusation.

So no blanket ban here, just keep your phone in full sight and no one is gonna stand there infront of everyone texting and ringing people :o

• 4 weeks later...
As a direct result of this discussion we have decided that all staff are to leave their mobiles on the side and not to have them on their person at any time. This is to safeguard them. If the phone is in your pocket and you are on a toilet run, you are putting yourself at risk of accusation.

So no blanket ban here, just keep your phone in full sight and no one is gonna stand there infront of everyone texting and ringing people :o

I have a thought with regards to Mobile phone use in the setting. I agree that mobile phones should not be used within the setting running times. It is really important to be clear about policy and procedures for this aspect and others relating to the running and organisation of the setting procedures and policy. I think the important thing here is to be sure staff are protected aswell as the children. In an ideal scenario a locked cupboard or locker should be available for staff to store handbags and contents including mobile phones. My thinking is what if an allegation is made against a member of staff? How is this then dealt with and evidence identified to support any allegations made.

If systems are in place such being able to lock phones and handbags away then this can be managed with written records to say when mobiles are handed in and handed out. If a member of staff is accused, then this can be supported with evidence that actually the mobile phone has been locked away and this was evidenced by records to support the process.

It is a sad fact that in this day and age evidence is everything especially when working in environments with children. It is just as important to think about how staff are portected too. In a court of law hard evidence is required to support the outcomes of any judgements made on any group or individual.

When there is an accusation of the nature we are discussing I think the police would access mobile phone records.

I don't think that being told not to have her mobile phone on her person would have prevented Vanessa George from abusing children. Had she been required to put it on the side she would simply have had another one in her pocket. There is no rule or law which would have prevented such a ruthless and determined abuser.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)