Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Facebook Deactivation

Rea

Just to let you know, its beaten me.

I havent been able to get over this feeling that I have no idea what its for! I dont know what I'm doing on it other than reading about others peoples day. And when I click something that then requires me to 'allow' and tells me it will be able to access my details I get twichy.

I also had a request from someone to be added as a friend (or the other way round) who I dont want to know outside work but I feel rude ignoring so it helps on that level too. :o

Timely post - I've just recieved an email saying my sister in law has 'tagged' me in a picture - and I'm not happy!

I haven't a clue how it works and I hate the thing!!!!

I feel photo's are put on without thought.... yes I understand that you have to be 'friends' but some people have so many so called friends it ridiculous [s?]!!

anyway I'm annoyed - rant over!!!!!!!!

xxx

Well I must let you all know that I only use facebook for a game of poker, so although I have 'accepted' some friends, I may not have accepted all who have asked (like Rea, I twitch nervously when asked to 'allow' and give access to all my details )

So, if I haven't accepted you, please don't take it personally, I just didn't recognise you or I lost the will to 'facebook' having not understood the point of reading my wall full of other peoples innane comments.

There, I've admitted it, I don't even go into the FSF 'group' (well maybe once a fortnight :o )

If I want a chat and decent messaging then I come HERE. :(xD

Peggy

That took longer than I expected. I've had to go through all the setting areas to remove and edit and change things. And then when I finally clicked 'deactivate' it gives me a message that if I log in with my eamil and password I can get right back in there. So deactivating isnt the same as closing shop and moving away. Anyway I feel a bit better now.

And what the heck was tagging all about anyway? :o

I'm afraid it doesn't 'do it' for me either. I'm on there to keep in touch more easily with a friend in Australia - we can jot a note to each other and post a picture quicker than email - and chat in 'real time' (breakfast time for her of course!)

So, if I've not accepted you as a friend, it's because I'm not enamoured of the site - not you!

I'm afraid it doesn't 'do it' for me either. I'm on there to keep in touch more easily with a friend in Australia - we can jot a note to each other and post a picture quicker than email - and chat in 'real time' (breakfast time for her of course!)

Same here - which is the only reason I have the account

........ what makes me more annoyed at Christmas dinner I told my own nieces and nephews (and daughter) I'd sue them if they put our family pictures on there.. (which they took well) Shame I didn't think to tell me 60yr old sister-in-law!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even friends with my family (apart form S-I-L, thought she was safe!)

xxx

Have never used facebook or any other social networking site - apart from this wonderful forum of course!

Two of my young nieces were busy 'snapping away' at a recent family party - didn't give it a thought until the next day - have given my daughter - in -law notice to tell me if anything is posted - I would not be a happy bunny - not that I was doing anything remotely outrageous of course!

Sunnyday

I was a myspace addict... it can be totally annoymous so it was just a bit of harmless fun but all my freinds and family where on facebook so I converted I find it a useless distraction and like others a way to keep in touch

as for adding people who you dont really want to keep in touch with if you hunt through the lists of facebook users and block them before they spot you, then you can in theory stop unwanted friend requests but if you do get friend requests you feel too rude to turn down add then and then always log on "offline" (little icon in the bottom right hand corner of page) then at least they wont pester you with chat requests, amd dont reply very fast to messages they might get the hint!

I was a myspace addict... it can be totally annoymous so it was just a bit of harmless fun but all my freinds and family where on facebook so I converted I find it a useless distraction and like others a way to keep in touch

as for adding people who you dont really want to keep in touch with if you hunt through the lists of facebook users and block them before they spot you, then you can in theory stop unwanted friend requests but if you do get friend requests you feel too rude to turn down add then and then always log on "offline" (little icon in the bottom right hand corner of page) then at least they wont pester you with chat requests, amd dont reply very fast to messages they might get the hint!

Now you've given away my secret ploys Alison! I do enjoy facebook, I like games mostly(Inge you have a lot to answer for!) but I use it mostly to keep in contact with friends and family who I'm not able to meet up. Some of the local mum's have added me as a friend which i don't mind, there's no secrets in my profile; especially as some of my daughters friends have added me, I thought it was just because they wanted to boost their number of friends, but quite sweetly, many pop up for a quick chat. But I am a recent convert, so it's attraction may fade after a while.

Karrie

I also enjoy facebook. It's an easy way of seeing what my daughters are up to at uni, although I wouldn't dream of writing on their walls!

jackie.

sorry - hate face book. Idon't have an account myself, but it caused a huge row a work last year.

Several of my memders of staff used and yep you've guessed it when reading each others messages got really upset. very she said this and they said this sort of thing. Nightmare.

Must admit had to have really stern talk with all involved about privacy etc...

I used to love Facebook, and I still do to some extent, as it's a brilliant method of keeping in touch with old friends, who I had completely lost touch with. However, when I've had distant friends of mine seeing my Mum in the local supermarket and asking if I had a good night out the night before (thanks to me merely saying in my status that I was looking forward to Saturday evening) it's lost some of it's shine!

I've found the nice filter settings, so only certain people can see particular details, photos, status updates, etc (and you can adjust it to different groups of people, which is even more useful!). I'm rather picky about who is my friend on there too, to be honest, I don't add people from work and certainly don't even discuss work where someone else on there may be able to see it! In a world as small as this, you never know who may be a friend of a friend who works with you or even a prospective employer.

I'm very particular about photos that get posted on Facebook, and if any of my friends post ones that I don't feel suitable (very rare nowadays), I de-tag them and ask them to delete them. I'm sure there are many young people of today who post every embarrassing picture under the sun up there now who will be mortified when they look back at them in a few years time! :o

Sorry, just my two pence's worth. It's a topic I feel particularly strong about. xD

Rosey x

I deactivated my account many months ago and then someone told me they had added photographs of me (been out at a party, luckily not doing anything too embarrassing) on Facebook. I activated my account again to look at the photos and now use it from time to time to catch up with a few people. My problem with Facebook is that it never does what I want it to do. It's probably not Facebook, just me being dense!!! mrsW.

It's probably not Facebook, just me being dense!!! mrsW.

No, it's facebook! unless you want to spend hours playing games and comparing fiends and all that stuff then it's what my daughter would term 'pants'. It's good for contacting people you've not been in touch with for a while - but you can do that on friends reunited too!

It is possible to have a friends list who cannot see any of your profile... and my details are very limited.. as those who have looked will see... i have one list where no one can see any details at all.. all blocked...Oh and i don't use my real name either, but my maiden one.. so no one can find me easily as they dont know it.. now you lot do but not my married name!!.... took my sister a month to find me by trial and error and then only did so via my son!

I am a recent convert only because it is one way to find out what my son is doing.... and to get the photos he puts up of his holidays or where he is, which is Jersey at the moment for 4 or 5 weeks then could be anywhere in the world...depends on where the job sends him. He often has internet on the ships or hotels free so contact is so much easier... skype has been very handy recently when weather been to bad and he has been stuck ashore in a hotel, connect and leave it open so you chat as if he is there...

well ,that was my original reason.. then when sis found me and I became a game addict.. only one or two but as I have been stuck at home and so has she it has been fun keeping up with each other, be it only morning and evening as she is in kiwiland.

and yes sorry about the games... but I like the gentle non rush games which a lot are... I blame sis for those I do.. she started most of them and some of you just added to them thanx...

For me it has its place, but I know that i will not be in any photos without my permission, and that I am actually hard to find...its not for everyone.. but for many it is

Inge

I have a facebook page, so I can have a nosey and make sure my employees aren't saying anything they shouldn't!

You are right about potential employers looking on there!

And current employers, judging by this post in another thread, Cait! :o

Maz

If you go into the settings tab on the top bar next to your name, and click on Privacy settings you can set who will see photos tagged of you - you can choose Friends of Friends, Only Friends or Customize. In Customize, you can select individual friends who you would like to see those tagged photos or even just yourself. Once you have done this you can check how a particular person will see your profile.

I recently had a friends ex, hack into her email account and get her fbk password, so I have had to make my account very secure and have limited who can do and see things on a rather cut throat basis. Naturally those friends who are very good friends understand, but bearing in mind the nature of the town where I live, you never know who knows who! Whilst social networking sites are a good way to keep in touch with people and catch up, you have to be careful - an employer could easily find your Fbk profile or twitter pages just with your email address!

I like Facebook as it is keeping me in touch with all the people I left behind in Scotland when I moved last year and is an easy way to share things with family. I don't put anything on which is 'private' to me and have nothing to hide anyway!

My suggestion is to make yourself familiar with the privacy settings and if you get tagged in a photo you don't want to be then remove the tag and tell the friend. If they are a friend they will understand and remove it straight away. :o

There, I've admitted it, I don't even go into the FSF 'group'

I don't either - And I was the one who made it!!

It is possible to have a friends list who cannot see any of your profile...

Oh yes... I think I once set mine up so that mum couldn't see anything xD:(

nothing to hide anyway!

Not even a portion of skinny chips and a cheesecake? :o