Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Knowlege And Understanding Of The World.

just a quick question.

can anyone recommend a contact where i could hire an incubator for chick eggs to hatch?

i need to do an interactive display for the children on knowledge and understanding of the world and i thought that might be quiet nice for the children. - or any other ideas?

thank you

:o

thanks blondie.

i had thought of tadpoles but i wasn't sure what to store them in - i got defeated with all the complications and didnt seem straight forward? im after a service where i can hire everything i need

It will soon be tadpole time. All you need for them is a fish tank with some pond water in with weed for them to eat. When the hatch you can give them lettuce to eat (not iceberg) but remember that they are omnivores so like a bit of meat too.

When they get back legs you'll need to put s stone in so they can lift themselves up a bit and when they have 'arms' they'll pull themselves out of the water - even with tails still. You'll need to cover it over the or you'll come in in the morning to a load of dried corpses on the workbench! (speaking from experience of my Deputy who took them home for Easter)

Hi - we have just had the most amazing 10 days with an incubator and eggs from a company called Living Eggs . They deliver everything you need - eggs, incubator , brooder box to move them into , food , info and a 24 hr helpline if you need help , advice.

We were delivered 12 eggs - 7 hatched out right in front of the childrens eyes -WOw ( especially as Ofsted arrived on the day they all started hatching - very impresive!) . the children have cared for their chicks , fed, watered, cleaned out, named them and now they have been adopted by 2 of our children who already have chickens , so will be able to come back for visits as grown chickens . The Living Eggs people will take any chicks away and re-home them if you cant find homes for them yourself.

Its quite expensive but worth every penny. Lizzzy

Try this site warwick insects.

I've had caterpillers from these and they were great. The tiny caterpillers come in a pot with everything they need inside. You watch them grow, turn to crysalis and then butterflies within a few weeks. Then let them go.

I seem to recall mundia telling us that insect lore dont use british insects always so the insects you get have already been transported a fair way.

Its fascinating to watch them develop and change :o

thanks for the info...

unfortunately i have discussed it with my colleagues and some people have a problem in keeping wild life locked up as they feel it is morally wrong. (the display is for my degree). so we are now doing the life cycle of plant. going to plant a seed every week so the children can see a time line of the plants growing.... back to the drawing board and searching for lots of activity ideas.

thanks for the info...

unfortunately i have discussed it with my colleagues and some people have a problem in keeping wild life locked up as they feel it is morally wrong. (the display is for my degree). so we are now doing the life cycle of plant. going to plant a seed every week so the children can see a time line of the plants growing.... back to the drawing board and searching for lots of activity ideas.

I have done a 'time line' with cress - really good as it's so fast growing - can plant daily and see a great difference.

Sunnyday